LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-15, 05:34 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Doesn't the car have electric steering? There should be no hydraulic assist whatsoever. I wonder if the steering angle sensor is failing or needs to be calibrated?
Old 03-13-15, 07:27 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Doesn't the car have electric steering? There should be no hydraulic assist whatsoever. I wonder if the steering angle sensor is failing or needs to be calibrated?
Yes....all LS460's have electric steering.
Old 03-13-15, 07:46 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

f22raptor - Even the most flat roads have Slope. By DOT standards, 2 lane roads are sloped at (I believe it to be) 2° from the center of the road. Each lane sloping away from each other. This is done for water drainage.

I'm not doubting your vehicle's alignment. They've adjusted it out the ying-yang, so it should be correct.

But I wonder a couple things. Maybe you're more sensitive to the effect of slope than the average driver? Or, maybe since your LS is AWD, maybe the front drive is torque steering? It is of course, not supposed to do that. But maybe in that front drive is the root cause? Just thinking out loud here.

7milesout
Old 03-14-15, 05:52 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
f22raptor - Even the most flat roads have Slope. By DOT standards, 2 lane roads are sloped at (I believe it to be) 2° from the center of the road. Each lane sloping away from each other. This is done for water drainage.

I'm not doubting your vehicle's alignment. They've adjusted it out the ying-yang, so it should be correct.

But I wonder a couple things. Maybe you're more sensitive to the effect of slope than the average driver? Or, maybe since your LS is AWD, maybe the front drive is torque steering? It is of course, not supposed to do that. But maybe in that front drive is the root cause? Just thinking out loud here.

7milesout
And most manufacturers compensate for road crown by offsetting caster, which should eliminate the effects of it. Vehicles will pull to the side with least positive caster, so the passenger side may be more positive. But they can compensate for road crown in other ways...camber, etc. And I believe some companies don't bother with it at all, because when you throw them on the rack...manufacturer specs are equal to both sides...which might give you the slightest pull in some conditions.

Bottom line - it's very very unusual for me to drive any car that has over 50k miles and not experience some sort of pull - slight as it may be, I always feel a little something. All it takes is one bushing to be slightly worn and the thing will pull a little.