LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

VSC, ABS, Brake System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 09:46 PM
uggggs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enjo
Hi, I know it's been a while. I have the same issue. Does anyone have a "how to" or know which ports on the odb2 to jump?
If you need to reset the VSC lights, its should be the 5th one over on the top and 4th one over on the bottom- from left to right looking at the plug.

When done right it enters your cars navi into a diagnostic mode.

Once you set the paperclip in, turn the ignition to on and pump the brakes 8 times quickly in less than 5 secs. This should reset the VSC. You should then see VSC check ok. If it did not work you will still see the codes.
Old 10-15-15, 05:03 AM
enjo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by uggggs
If you need to reset the VSC lights, its should be the 5th one over on the top and 4th one over on the bottom- from left to right looking at the plug.

When done right it enters your cars navi into a diagnostic mode.

Once you set the paperclip in, turn the ignition to on and pump the brakes 8 times quickly in less than 5 secs. This should reset the VSC. You should then see VSC check ok. If it did not work you will still see the codes.

Thank you. I had had it all reset by the time i got this but have taken note.
Old 02-17-16, 11:05 AM
mba62
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Issues

I have this problem now. I have a 08 460 and The lights came on I think after I change the battery out. PRIOR to driving the vehicle 60 miles to the dealer for the check out, I asked if I needed to have it towed; they replied no, you can drive it. Lexus called me 3 days later and said it would cost me $6500 to have repaired. I went to pick the vehicle up and they were pushing me to get it repaired at that time. However, something just didn't seem right. In fact the service guy said that my insurance would even pay for the repair because it was a safety issue. After much debate with them I decided to take the vehicle for a second opinion. Once I got the vehicle and left the dealership, I noticed that the vehicle was pulling hard to the left when I brake. It definitely wasn't doing that. I returned to the dealer and told them what was going on. They insisted that I get the repair done. I have since talked with several mechanics who thinks, it could be several things to include the abs sensor in the hub assembly gone bad. When I read your post this morning, I thought i would share my experience and perhaps get a remedy from someone who has already gone through this. I will gladly take any recommendations that would lead to a resolution.

Thanks,
Old 02-17-16, 10:05 PM
Dade305
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mba62
I have this problem now. I have a 08 460 and The lights came on I think after I change the battery out. PRIOR to driving the vehicle 60 miles to the dealer for the check out, I asked if I needed to have it towed; they replied no, you can drive it. Lexus called me 3 days later and said it would cost me $6500 to have repaired. I went to pick the vehicle up and they were pushing me to get it repaired at that time. However, something just didn't seem right. In fact the service guy said that my insurance would even pay for the repair because it was a safety issue. After much debate with them I decided to take the vehicle for a second opinion. Once I got the vehicle and left the dealership, I noticed that the vehicle was pulling hard to the left when I brake. It definitely wasn't doing that. I returned to the dealer and told them what was going on. They insisted that I get the repair done. I have since talked with several mechanics who thinks, it could be several things to include the abs sensor in the hub assembly gone bad. When I read your post this morning, I thought i would share my experience and perhaps get a remedy from someone who has already gone through this. I will gladly take any recommendations that would lead to a resolution.

Thanks,
$6500?!?
Looks like they tried to get you to replace your abs actuator and maybe also your pump.. i guess maybe some pads and rotors as well..plus labor, gratuity, and extra gratuity lol. I'm not sure about insurance but maybe your warranty company (if you have one) will cover the expenses. If so, LET THEM DO IT, you have an early year LS460 and most likely will need to upgrade to an LS600 actuator anyways (like me ). ALTHOUGH, It might not be the culprit if a battery threw the error message. Just make sure to get a new battery when they are finished and get the code reset done.

P.S. I really pray that Lexus recalls this FLAGSHIP's actuator that almost made me crash. If you don't replace the actuator, your pump will eventually short out unexpectedly and you will not be able to stop! NHTSA complaint filed! I now have to buy a new pump AND actuator assembly out of pocket!

P.S.S. I paid $1600 for the pump + i'm still looking at another $1400 for the LS600 actuator assembly (includes accumulator) on top of whatever labor is (im getting the parts put on at a different shop but might still need to go to a dealer for code reset once installed) Good Luck!

Last edited by Dade305; 02-19-16 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-18-16, 05:48 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

I can confirm that this issue can be caused by the battery and nothing related to the brake themselves. From another thread:

Originally Posted by Vansibel
Not too long ago while working on my car the battery got so depleted that I had to jumpstart it. After that I had the all kind of light complaining about Parking Brake failure, VSC, ABS... Hooked my techstream computer and checked live data to confirm everything was working properly, cleared the code and never had a problem since. If I would have gone to the dealer trust me they would find a way to give me a bill of several thousands saying the ABS valve or actuator needed to be change. People said it numerous time battery failure cause havoc in those car. Your problem is probably different but I would first make sure nothing is wrong with the 12v battery or at least the fuses.
Old 02-19-16, 01:15 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Useful information.
Old 02-20-16, 05:10 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Vansibel
I can confirm that this issue can be caused by the battery and nothing related to the brake themselves. From another thread:
Yeah but the guy changed his battery out, so his problem started with a new battery. I've replaced my battery before, and so have many others...it doesn't cause your brake system to go haywire.

Are the two connected? Did someone do something wrong when replacing the battery? Is there a relearn process? Personally I think if everything else is operating fine...car accelerates properly, shifts fine, no check engine lights, no radio problems...then something is wrong with the brake system. And the pull he is experiencing is another sign.

I hope to god I never have to deal with this problem; I have looked into used ABS units and they are out there at a much discounted price, but they too will most likely fail. And I have heard of others having to replace these units more than once. There are companies that rebuild ABS actuators, but you have to ship the part and wait for it to be returned...not exactly practical unless you have another car.
Old 09-01-18, 10:03 AM
Ledfam
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello!
I think I have the brake actuator problem as well! I was coming home Thursday night and the 5 lights came on, brake malfunction, check AbS , etc. I checked battery first as well-all good! Disconnected the negative to see if code would go away-nope! I then called and scheduled an appt with Lexus of Huntsville Tuesday morning for test to see if it is brake actuator. They said it would be covered through Warranty Extention if codes are present. Question- lights are on the dash-all five. Will codes still be there even though i disconnected battery terminal? This would be huge cause they said it was 4500 plus tax to fix. I have a 2011 rwd with 115,000 miles!
Old 02-11-19, 04:48 PM
Jack111
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clear codes

Originally Posted by uggggs
I had the same issue after my battery went dead. Unplugging the battery won't work. You have to reset and clear the codes by jumping the terminals on the OBD2 port.
How do you that? Please details.