LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New owner with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-15, 06:58 AM
Zeke21
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New owner with a few questions

Hello all. I just purchased a 2007 LS460 L and love it. I have a few questions, some which I think I may have found the answers to but looking for some more recent confirmation as well.

Seat belt chime. To turn this off I must go to the dealer, correct?

Caution warning on Nav screen at startup. This cannot be turned off or made to automatically bypass without having to press the agree button each time?

Brake actuator popping noise. According to Lexus national database it has never been replaced. Did Lexus issue a replacement part that does not make noise or will they all make noise at some point?

Really like the car so far. My little pet peeve so far is the lack of a dedicated button for fan speed control. My wife's 2010 RX 350 has one in addition to the one found on the nav screen and it makes for easy access to adjust the speed of the fan. Am I missing something on my LS?

My SC has 255K miles and runs like it has 50. I'm hoping/expecting the same for this LS. lol.
Old 05-01-15, 07:30 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

Welcome and grats on the car.

You can have that taken care of. There is a device (I can't quite recall the product), that once installed gives you all these options to adjust and seat belt chime is one.

I have the 08 and my nav screen automatically cuts off that screen. I believe it's the updated nav that removes that. My car's nav had been updated a few years and I think that's what did it. You can check if yours was ever done and if not, I think an upgrade will do it. Others will be by soon to confirm or deny that.

I agree the brake popping can be annoying, however, I don't think it's a hazzard issue, just annoying.

The fan speed hasn't really concerned me, but perhaps that's because I was used to it and don't mind pressing the screen to adjust the speed.

You should enjoy a long life with your LS. There may be some repairs along the way, but all cars need help on occasion.

Got any pix you can post?
Old 05-01-15, 07:54 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Welcome to CL.

Many of the questions new LS owners have can be answered by perusing the Sticky at the top of the threads here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...iy-thread.html

As for the seat belt chimes, they, (and many other options), can be customized by purchasing the Carista app and an ELM 327 module for a grand sum of about 25-30 bucks.

If you upgrade your Nav to the latest version, it will remove your warning screen after about 5 seconds.

You're right about the dedicated fan button and it annoyed me at first, but I learned to live with it by just setting the system on "AUTO" and forgetting about it.

The noise from the actuator is also something that is common and for some, annoying. However, be rest assured that it's not a safety issue.
Old 05-01-15, 08:57 AM
Zeke21
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Welcome to CL.

As for the seat belt chimes, they, (and many other options), can be customized by purchasing the Carista app and an ELM 327 module for a grand sum of about 25-30 bucks.
Awesome, thank you. Is using the app to find the menu for these settings pretty self explanatory or is there a Lexus specific guide somewhere?
Old 05-01-15, 09:19 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeke21
Awesome, thank you. Is using the app to find the menu for these settings pretty self explanatory or is there a Lexus specific guide somewhere?
Its super simple. All you do is download the app to your smartphone. Buy the ELM module on Ebay and when you receive it, you plug that module into your OBD port, pair the module to your phone, then start playing with the app to customize a host of custom settings in your car. You can change when the doors lock, DRL's, screen settings, how long your lights stay on after turning your engine off, etc.
Old 05-01-15, 10:05 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Its super simple. All you do is download the app to your smartphone. Buy the ELM module on Ebay and when you receive it, you plug that module into your OBD port, pair the module to your phone, then start playing with the app to customize a host of custom settings in your car. You can change when the doors lock, DRL's, screen settings, how long your lights stay on after turning your engine off, etc.
I'd recommend you buy the Bluetooth ELM module from Amazon for about 15 bucks with prime shipping. You get it quicker that way and typically you get a good product the first time around otherwise the return process is super easy in case things don't work.
If you have an iPhone you'll have to get the WiFi ELM adapter instead since the iPhone doesn't support the Blutooth modules.
Having used the Carista app with my Audi, I can say that it's definitely one of the best $20 purchases I've ever made bar none. Let's you clear OBD codes as well as VAG codes (in Audi's case, I'm not sure if Lexus does the same thing too) and then adds icing on the cake by allowing you to customize many aspects of your car. I obviously haven't used it on a Lexus but if it works just like it does on an Audi, then there should be a plethora of changes that can be made. Awesome app.
Old 05-01-15, 11:13 AM
kitchamp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeke21
Caution warning on Nav screen at startup. This cannot be turned off or made to automatically bypass without having to press the agree button each time?
Other than paying for the nav update, if you at all interested in the products from Vaistech, several of them have the ability to automatically press the "agree" after a few seconds so you don't have to.