LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tint advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-15, 06:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Yeah I didn't notice it on mine yesterday when it was sunny out, its today with the overcast sky, that makes the reflectivity of the tint really come out and thats when its noticable.
Old 06-17-15, 07:12 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Okay, here is the scoop.

The laminated front side windows has a PVB vinyl interlayer of film that is sandwiched between the two pieces of glass during the manufacturing process, which gives it the name 'laminated' glass. This PVB vinyl interlayer film (used to make laminated glass) appears to always (and historically) have a very slight greenish tint. This has been the case for decades, which probably started for identification purposes for cut glass where a stamping or embossing/engraving would not suffice whereas with automotive glass it is noted by a stamping or embossing/engraving as being 'laminated'. Nevertheless, it is what it is - and it appears that all laminated glass has the slight greenish tint due to the PVB vinyl interlayer film.

All that said, this would satisfy me as-to why the front side windows are a different color compared to the rear side windows. I would be satisfied that Lexus fully expected and intended for their front laminated side windows to have a different color compared to the non-laminated rear side windows. And lastly, without some specialty, time-consuming, painstakingly and costly trial-n-error playing around with numerous brands and types of window tints - that the front side laminated windows (either with or without aftermarket window tint film) WILL BE a different color compared to the rear side windows. That is just the way it is!

Old 06-17-15, 07:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah that was my guess too. You would think though that it would be the front windows that would look a little more greenish...its the laminated windows that look like they have less tint.

That also makes sense why swfla felt his ES350 had more tint than his LS460. He's looking though the laminated windows in front...
Old 06-17-15, 07:31 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yeah that was my guess too. You would think though that it would be the front windows that would look a little more greenish...its the laminated windows that look like they have less tint.

That also makes sense why swfla felt his ES350 had more tint than his LS460. He's looking though the laminated windows in front...
It could be that Lexus has contracted with their 2-3 glass makers to use a special color for the interlayer film. Dunno. But, we now know for sure that the front side windows do not match the rear side windows in color...and that obviously is the way that Lexus wants it to be. So, I'd go with it. There's nothing really you can do about it anyway. You may reduce the color difference slightly using the Huper Optik 40 or 30 dual layer tint film like I have, and like 'Unsober1' just recently had installed.
Old 06-17-15, 07:34 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is what my tint currently look like
Old 06-17-15, 07:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm going to look at it in a few different lighting conditions...nowhere to get the Huper 30 or 40 here, and I don't really want to start over with another installer nd pay to have this tint removed, and then it retinted with something else I'm going to be upwards of $1,000 invested in this project if thats the case...

I see it in your pics too Unsober, not as bad as mine because your tint isn't as reflective, but i can see that greenishness to the back.
Old 06-17-15, 07:51 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I can't say that I see any different color (front vs rear) in Unsober1's images. It definitely looks like Unsober1 Huper Optik dual film 30 doesn't have as much reflectivity compared to the ESC.
Old 06-18-15, 05:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

How does it look out there today Unsober?

Sunnier day here and its not as noticeable. I've been talking with folks over at the Tintdude forum, and I'm leaning towards keeping what I've got...
Old 06-18-15, 06:23 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW15LS
How does it look out there today Unsober?

Sunnier day here and its not as noticeable. I've been talking with folks over at the Tintdude forum, and I'm leaning towards keeping what I've got...
I'm just leaving work right now. I have a Tacoma for my work truck so the car is at home. I Have been working way too much. The wife is taking the car for a road trip Friday and Saturday. I get the car back Sunday morning. I'm giving it a quick detail sunday and then I'm off to the colorado 2015 Toyota/lexus meet. I'll have a few photos to post Sunday night.
Old 06-20-15, 07:49 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts
Default Sunroof glass warning

I just read over a website for an Orlando, FL certified 3m installer. They don't tint sunroofs because the glass used can overheat and break. This might not be an issue for northern climates but makes me think twice before having it done in the south. Any pros out there that concur?
Old 06-20-15, 08:01 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by swfla
I just read over a website for an Orlando, FL certified 3m installer. They don't tint sunroofs because the glass used can overheat and break. This might not be an issue for northern climates but makes me think twice before having it done in the south. Any pros out there that concur?
No problem whatsoever in Texas with many 100+ degree days during the summer. Mine is done with Huper Optik Ceramic 30% VLT.

Why would it be any different from a rear window that is angled at ~45 degrees and could catch the direct afternoon sun when the temperature and the sun's intensity is at the maximum?
Old 06-20-15, 08:42 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
No problem whatsoever in Texas with many 100+ degree days during the summer. Mine is done with Huper Optik Ceramic 30% VLT.

Why would it be any different from a rear window that is angled at ~45 degrees and could catch the direct afternoon sun when the temperature and the sun's intensity is at the maximum?
Good to know that your experience has been trouble free under high heat conditions.

Could be the 3m brand is the problem??

They stated that sun roof glass is a different compositon than window glass.

Why would a business turn away an opportunity to make more money if it wasn't a potential problem?
Old 06-20-15, 06:06 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Originally Posted by swfla
Why would a business turn away an opportunity to make more money if it wasn't a potential problem?
Maybe because it's a PITA to do upside down and they have troubles getting it right which means they'll see you back to get it re-done which cuts the profits...and if they're busy they can make more money (profit) doing the quicker, easier jobs than spending a lot of time on your harder job.
Old 06-20-15, 06:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think its because there are a multitude of instances where sunroofs have exploded, and they just don't want to deal with liability in general.

Just an update on the mismatch thing. I saw my buddy's 2015 GS with 3M Color stable tint, I can see a color difference between his laminated front windows and single pane rear windows too. Very hard to see though, so at least I know if I went that way it wouldn't bother me.

Still deciding. We're out of town with the van this weekend, I need to look at it for a while and decide.
Old 06-21-15, 10:30 AM
LexToy3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my windows redone and they used a 3M product on the windows and a clear product on the sunroof stating that they have had issues tinting the double pane sunroofs and the exterior glass breaking. So, they put a material on it just does not have the 40% tint like the rest of the car. Will get product names and edit this post when I do. I have not been able to try out the new tint due to thick cloud cover since getting it done. I spoke to a different installer about the materials and he stated that he did not like to use it on vehicles because of durability issues that he has personally had and would have to warranty the work. Mainly children or passengers hitting the glass or objects being transported damaging the film. He said as far as it doing it's job and if babied it works fine though.

Quick Reply: Tint advice needed