LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 ls460 bouncy ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-15, 12:15 PM
HowdyAudi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
That's a loaded controversial question. I can tell you from an enthusiast point of view who owns a non air LS RWD that the car handles well for a big luxury car. What I mean is that it's not a BMW or your typical sporty luxury car that you can take around corners and have fun with because it's boat built around comfort, not tossable at all. What it does do well in the handling department is become a very easy car to drive that drives you with all of the refinement you expect from a luxury focused car. It's also very stable on the highway as a cruiser.

I have never driven the sport version of the 430 but if it drives like it centered around being more BMW like that would be the way to go if you want tossable. It wouldn't be a bad idea to own a BMW five series under warranty if you want to drive a driver focused car.
I know not to expect BMW levels of handling, especially for a large luxury sedan. I just wanted to be sure that the suspension is designed to handle class of car it's attached to. I don't want a driving experience similar to a 1980s Buick. As long as it doesn't wallow and bounce all over with every bump and dip, I'll be a happy man.
Old 07-22-15, 12:47 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by HowdyAudi
I know not to expect BMW levels of handling, especially for a large luxury sedan. I just wanted to be sure that the suspension is designed to handle class of car it's attached to. I don't want a driving experience similar to a 1980s Buick. As long as it doesn't wallow and bounce all over with every bump and dip, I'll be a happy man.
An 80s Buick no. It is modern car ride and It does nothing unusual during a normal drive and feels composed as any newer car should however it's far from any kind of sports luxury class.
If you hit a right angle corner too hard it will dive but it will also not bounce. The suspension is very easy going built around comfort but not one that is sloppy and annoying. If you drive the car normally as a passenger car and don't take it to it's limits it has nice smooth driving qualities like being in a 747. Push it and it can get very disappointing at the limit because there is a lot of compliance. It's an easy car to drive fast and inspires confidence as a result but at the same time a bit disconnected which is what a comfortable ride gives you. It drives you, you don't drive it is the best way to sum it up.

I highly suggest you test drive one and see if it's for you.
Old 07-22-15, 07:57 PM
HowdyAudi
Rookie

DevH, I have test driven and LS 460 but it was an L with the air suspension. It felt pretty good overall. Never uncomfortable with decent ride control but I wasn't sure if this was characteristic of the air setup only. Is the stock suspension firmer?
Old 07-22-15, 09:18 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by HowdyAudi
DevH, I have test driven and LS 460 but it was an L with the air suspension. It felt pretty good overall. Never uncomfortable with decent ride control but I wasn't sure if this was characteristic of the air setup only. Is the stock suspension firmer?
I have tested several with air compared it to the non air there was not that much difference to me. I believe it another poster who owned both types types said the non air was between the comfort and sport setting of the air suspension.
The biggest difference I felt was between the AWD and the RWD. The RWD pivots better around intersections and parks better as well. Straight line power wise there is no comparison.
I never tested L but from what I understand the extra added wheelbase is better for comfort but handling will suffer a little.
Old 07-23-15, 03:55 AM
bramble
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! dlbuckls10 after solving the problem and getting it fixed I'm so glad I found the problem I'm still kind of curious and puzzled how that happened (subframe bent) in the first place but it's solved now and loving the ride it drives excellent now. I was hating the ride at first never thought that a bent subframe would cause such a wobbly ride, made me wanted to get rid of the car now I'm keeping it for sure.
HowdyAudi I would stay away from air suspension I had a mercedes with air and it went out on me and it was really expensive to get it fix, I'm sure the ls is the same way when it goes out and it will in time your gonna spend lots of $$$ to fix it. Good luck with your ls when you find one.