LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Best Rotors for My 2010 LS 460L

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-16, 10:55 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
Wait...someone just ordered up the drilled front and slotted rears. Let us see what that feller says. My review on the StopTech drilled rotors is:

I requested another LS460 owner's opinion of the drilled disk product: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9564050
I'll post a review for sure. Just for thread purposes, my purpose in going with these wasn't performance, mainly noise issues associated with the stock blank rotors and they look cool. The are set to arrive tomorrow so I'll probably install them this coming weekend. I am already a huge StopTech fan too as I've used their rotors a few times.
Old 07-25-16, 12:17 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
I like this: When was the last time anyone heat cycled the brakes on an LS by speeding into a corning, jamming on the brakes and then repeated in the next turn? smh
The engineers at Bugatti should watch this video
I would venture that 99% of the driving by LS owners would not benefit from the advantages provided by drilled rotors. For me it is a land yacht where silence reigns supreme. So, while I do steal envious glances at the drilled rotors on S500s and Panemaras, the concern of humming brakes overrides the idea of looking cool
Old 07-25-16, 12:45 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Glazed/Pulsing brakes

Originally Posted by comotiger
I would venture that 99% of the driving by LS owners would not benefit from the advantages provided by drilled rotors. For me it is a land yacht where silence reigns supreme. So, while I do steal envious glances at the drilled rotors on S500s and Panemaras, the concern of humming brakes overrides the idea of looking cool
if the brakes are prone to glaze then drilled rotors may help
  1. Use drilled rotors to keep the temperature below the point where heat spots start to form. Drilled rotors also prevent pad glazing as shown in SAE paper 2006-01-0691 (*2 see below).
Source 1: http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-causes-...5242298/g.html
Source 2: http://www.tazcobra.com/SAE_2006010691_Synopsis.pdf

Last edited by superdenso; 07-26-16 at 04:47 AM.
Old 07-26-16, 01:46 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

You can buy an Audi R8, S6, S8, or Mercedes S-class or AMG (all 4 drilled), or BMW M series car and get drilled rotors. Do you believe these companies install this hardware because it looks cool and is prone to failure. Or do you believe it takes a different disk to slow down a S65 AMG.
I believe they install what looks cool. 100%
Not only that they install MANY things that are prone to failure. That's what got me out of my BMW. They don't care if anything they install is failure-prone as long as it's cool and targets their competition and at least matches them. As noted already, very few vehicles in racing have them. Yes there are exceptions, but in general......

No one wants to buy a two million dollar Bugatti and then notice that the competition has drilled rotors and the Bug doesn't.

But hey.....we're talking about a 5k lb LS that can't be driven truly spirited enough to benefit from any argument that drilled is better. BUT! as I stated, I may still get them....ONLY because they look purty.

Last edited by roadfrog; 07-26-16 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-26-16, 03:12 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Well looky what arrived today. Will post install pics once I have some time to put them on.

Old 07-26-16, 03:59 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Whats in that smaller box? Hardware? Sensors?

Looking forward to more pics of the parts and how you like them.
Old 07-26-16, 04:37 PM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

posi quiet... pads I would assume.
Old 07-26-16, 05:08 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GR6RR
posi quiet... pads I would assume.
Hmmm......I assumed that at first, but the box seems small for four corners. My work computer can't make out the smaller print. But makes sense if it says "posi-quiet".

Last edited by roadfrog; 07-26-16 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-26-16, 07:56 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Yep, they are half of the pads, other half doesn't get here till Thursday. I was going to get the Akebono (sp?) pads but the Tire Rack guy suggested these and I thought I'd give them a whirl. The fronts are just a little bigger than the rears.

Old 07-27-16, 04:27 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Default Assist

The pdf's with bolt torque specs are in the DIY thread below:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-ls-460-a.html
(Post #8 will help you pop the rotors off the hub)

The instructions describe replacing caliper bolts with new ones.

Last edited by superdenso; 07-27-16 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-22-16, 04:31 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Default Reference: drilled slotted rotor review

Post#28: Ok, just got back from a road trip in the RX-7 yesterday so I'm exhausted but I can give a quick summation of the LS brakes. I'm pretty happy so far with my ricer combination of the drilled fronts/slotted rears. Initial bite is good, and even when slowing down quickly from say 110 to 60 I've gotten no fade feeling after or during. Any small squeaks I used to get when reversing out of my garage in the morning are gone. The only issue that I still is not optimal is I do sometimes notice a squeak the first time I hit the brakes in the morning, but it is pretty consistently the first time I hit the brakes, then it goes away. Overall the brakes are very quiet, don't create a lot of dust, and my ricer side likes having 2 different kinds of rotors. I'm never really going to push the brakes on this car but overall I would say this was a pretty good bang for my buck upgrade and I'd do it again. I'll post a couple of shots of how they look on the car later.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9592942
Old 08-24-16, 11:42 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I'm ready to upgrade/replace my brakes. My only concern is warping. I'm not concerned about brake performance per se, as my car will stop nicely regardless of what's on there. Some suppliers are giving 1 year warranty against warpage, but most only 30-90 days. That's not good enough for me. But I'll have to take what I can get. So it looks like cryo is the way to go to help minimize the risk of warping. If any of you can offer some feedback on their experience with warping after all this time, I'd love to hear about it. Links to good deals, etc is also appreciated.
And despite my earlier comments about drilled rotors, I'm also leaning towards the "ricer" look" LOL.
Old 08-24-16, 11:47 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You did a bunch of brake work previously, didn't you? What all did you do, how long did it last, and where did it go wrong, if anywhere?
Old 08-24-16, 12:10 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I replaced my front rotors a couple of years ago and my rear rotors last year. Much of the warping/shuddering has returned, and since I need new pads anyway, I figured I'd replace the rotors as well rather than machine them. Doing this will also rule out the shimmy being caused by CA bushings and the like.
Old 08-24-16, 12:25 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I'm ready to upgrade/replace my brakes. My only concern is warping. I'm not concerned about brake performance per se, as my car will stop nicely regardless of what's on there. Some suppliers are giving 1 year warranty against warpage, but most only 30-90 days. That's not good enough for me. But I'll have to take what I can get. So it looks like cryo is the way to go to help minimize the risk of warping. If any of you can offer some feedback on their experience with warping after all this time, I'd love to hear about it. Links to good deals, etc is also appreciated.
And despite my earlier comments about drilled rotors, I'm also leaning towards the "ricer" look" LOL.
FWIW, I've had the Stop Tech slotted only rotors on my FD for 2 years now and have been through 2 sets of pads and 6 track days (for brake mods the car has upgraded master cylinder, steel lines, hawk pads, ABS delete). I've never had an issue with warping and very little fade on track days.

I've been enjoying the rotors on the LS so far, but after reading here I started paying more attention and I can hear the front brakes at times when I am slowing down (mainly if I hit the brakes on the highway like from 70 - 30mph), it isn't really noticeable in the city and hasn't bothered me. BTW, I am loving my staggered ricer look, hahaha.

Quick Reply: Best Rotors for My 2010 LS 460L