LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What did I do wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-15, 05:58 AM
LexToy3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What did I do wrong?

The answer is probably yes. I really don't see how that it is possible though. I attempted roadfrog/ jmcraney and others wind noise fix and it really did not seem to work. I removed both sides and cleaned them completely. I then added silicone to both mating surfaces and placed the new molding on. I let it cure for about 4 hours prior to moving the car and... might have actually made it worse. So annoyed with myself at this point. I covered both the holes and clips with silicone, I removed the adhesive coverings and sealed in and out of them too. What did I miss?
Attached Thumbnails What did I do wrong?-dsc_0109.jpg   What did I do wrong?-dsc_0110.jpg  
Old 07-04-15, 07:29 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,274 Likes on 984 Posts

If you didn't fill in as described in the "fix" (that's what it sounds like) you'll still have noise. Try reading the jmcraney fix slowly and more thoroughly. A photo of the silicone application would tell the story much better than words.
Old 07-04-15, 08:19 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Be sure to put silicone in the recessed areas as per the jmcraney instructions
Old 07-06-15, 06:13 AM
jmcraney

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by LexToy3
The answer is probably yes. I really don't see how that it is possible though. I attempted roadfrog/ jmcraney and others wind noise fix and it really did not seem to work. I removed both sides and cleaned them completely. I then added silicone to both mating surfaces and placed the new molding on. I let it cure for about 4 hours prior to moving the car and... might have actually made it worse. So annoyed with myself at this point. I covered both the holes and clips with silicone, I removed the adhesive coverings and sealed in and out of them too. What did I miss?
I applaud your effort to silence the "wind noise" and I am sorry it hasn't gone well. It is worth your time to continue your pursuit of "silence" and you will likely be successful with a little extra care.

I know there are some strong opinions about the "finned" trim piece, so you should view my thoughts on this subject as controversial.

In the vast majority of the cars that have the wind noise problem the cause is poor sealing behind the trim at he corner of the windows in the front doors.

The trim is designed to seal this area and on a lot of cars it worked well. But, on a significant number of cars, it would not properly seal because the mating surfaces were not perfect.

If your car has this problem, fixing it may be as simple as replacing the trim pieces with a factory-fresh pieces. That is easy to do and worth trying. There are two different part designs that can be used. One is the type that came on all cars before the 2013 models and the other is a part that came on the 2013 and later models. The newer part, on 2013-2015 models, is distinguished by a vortex generator, some call it a fin, on the outer surface. Either part will produce identical results as to the sealing. The fin on the newer part will not reduce the wind noise by virtue of fin - both parts are equal in that regard. If you decide you want to try repairing your car by replacing the trim, you should just apply the new trim, as it was intended to be used, without any additional sealant or adhesive. Press it on firmly. If the results are not what you expected, or the repair doesn't last then you may want to consider the more aggressive DIY repair.

Although a few of the problem cars can be fixed by just replacing the parts, most will require something else.

Here is a link to a DIY repair that will get good results. There are lots of ways to do this that will get results that are just as good, but there is nothing that will get better results. This procedure has a high probability of success if you implement it carefully.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...noise-fix.html

The idea here is to seal the area behind the trim, independent of the trim. Then you use the trim to restore the original appearance. Either trim type, plain or finned, will work fine. If you get the sealing right, you could stick a brick in place of the trim piece and not tell any difference as far as the wind noise.

Last edited by jmcraney; 07-06-15 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-06-15, 07:20 PM
LexToy3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I applaud your effort to silence the "wind noise" and I am sorry it hasn't gone well. It is worth your time to continue your pursuit of "silence" and you will likely be successful with a little extra care.

I know there are some strong opinions about the "finned" trim piece, so you should view my thoughts on this subject as controversial.

In the vast majority of the cars that have the wind noise problem the cause is poor sealing behind the trim at he corner of the windows in the front doors.

The trim is designed to seal this area and on a lot of cars it worked well. But, on a significant number of cars, it would not properly seal because the mating surfaces were not perfect.

If your car has this problem, fixing it may be as simple as replacing the trim pieces with a factory-fresh pieces. That is easy to do and worth trying. There are two different part designs that can be used. One is the type that came on all cars before the 2013 models and the other is a part that came on the 2013 and later models. The newer part, on 2013-2015 models, is distinguished by a vortex generator, some call it a fin, on the outer surface. Either part will produce identical results as to the sealing. The fin on the newer part will not reduce the wind noise by virtue of fin - both parts are equal in that regard. If you decide you want to try repairing your car by replacing the trim, you should just apply the new trim, as it was intended to be used, without any additional sealant or adhesive. Press it on firmly. If the results are not what you expected, or the repair doesn't last then you may want to consider the more aggressive DIY repair.

Although a few of the problem cars can be fixed by just replacing the parts, most will require something else.

Here is a link to a DIY repair that will get good results. There are lots of ways to do this that will get results that are just as good, but there is nothing that will get better results. This procedure has a high probability of success if you implement it carefully.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...noise-fix.html

The idea here is to seal the area behind the trim, independent of the trim. Then you use the trim to restore the original appearance. Either trim type, plain or finned, will work fine. If you get the sealing right, you could stick a brick in place of the trim piece and not tell any difference as far as the wind noise.
Thank you for the assistance in the first place with your extensive write up. I knew this fix would more than likely going to occur way before I ever purchased the car. I remember viewing the pages of this forum for a while prior to purchase. I intend on going back in this weekend and redoing the work that I did. I will take more time and document so if I (hopefully not but...) fall short it can be reviewed and the problem easily identified.

Originally Posted by swfla
If you didn't fill in as described in the "fix" (that's what it sounds like) you'll still have noise. Try reading the jmcraney fix slowly and more thoroughly. A photo of the silicone application would tell the story much better than words.
Originally Posted by 1Putt
Be sure to put silicone in the recessed areas as per the jmcraney instructions
As stated above, I am going back in this weekend sometime and will get to work on the proper fix. Thank you for your time and input.