LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Intermittent failure to start

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-15, 12:47 PM
treborreye
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent failure to start

Is this a lone wolf problem? For the past year I have had intermittent start issues with my LS that occur about 15 percent of the time. Ambient or engine temperature do not make a difference. Sometimes the starter engages but then disengages right away. I then need to depress the start button an additional time or two before it actually starts. At other times the starter engages and continues cranking while the engine sounds like it is trying to start (like it is just barely keeping ahead of the starter speed). That carries on for several seconds and then it starts. Nothing shows on diagnostics and the dealer says I am going to have to wait until there is a complete "no start" before they can trouble shoot. There was a similar issue with earlier 460 models but the Lexus service tech said that problem does not apply to the 2011's. It seems there is a lack of fuel delivery but from what point? And why only intermittent and momentary?
Old 07-07-15, 01:02 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

This could be your problem and solution.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...read-this.html
Old 07-07-15, 03:22 PM
treborreye
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Devh, but the starter does not seem to be the issue. The starter never fails to engage and in the world of technological logic, it seems the starter thinks the car has started so it disengages. There are times, though, the engine will crank for 5 or more seconds before it finally starts. Once the car starts, no problem. My logic, for whatever it may be worth, is that there is an electronic signal that is supposed to open a fuel delivery switch and either the electronics or the switch is failing to respond as it should.
Old 07-08-15, 04:46 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by treborreye
Thanks, Devh, but the starter does not seem to be the issue. The starter never fails to engage and in the world of technological logic, it seems the starter thinks the car has started so it disengages. There are times, though, the engine will crank for 5 or more seconds before it finally starts. Once the car starts, no problem. My logic, for whatever it may be worth, is that there is an electronic signal that is supposed to open a fuel delivery switch and either the electronics or the switch is failing to respond as it should.
There are many causes of hard starting. Usually for modern cars it's a bad cam position sensor .
Sadly diagnosis would be hard to do until live data can be recorded during the event.
What the dealer told is correct and that once it gets worse it can be diagnosed and hopefully it will throw a code.
Old 07-08-15, 07:38 PM
aaauae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it just click when you start the car ? ... i had similar issue replaced the starter and its good so far, - though i waited till the starter totally gave up

It was a pain to remove the starter .
Old 07-14-15, 02:55 PM
treborreye
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for everyone's help. The starter is fine. It's an issue somewhere else. If, and when, I finally come to a resolution I'll do a post.
Old 07-15-15, 02:37 PM
bob3636
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2011 with the exact same issue. I brought it to the dealer and pretty much got the same response.
They started it many many times with no failure to start. Without them actually seeing the issue, there is nothing they can do. Last week there was a particularly hard start and the check engine light came on. I live 100 miles from a dealer, so I could not get to the shop quickly. Two days later the light when off. Please post if you learn anything new. I'll do the same.