LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

not so lucky with The LS460

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-15, 12:59 PM
aaauae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Devh
I'm just speculating but it's possible that Toyota as well as other manufacture discourages US spec cars because of the importation of stolen vehicles into neighboring countries that end up in the UAE with new papers.
It could also be that they discourage the practice because of loopholes where the citizenry can bypass the expense of domestically sold vehicles made for the region.
The cost of the US spec vehicles with miles on them could be reconstructed salvage as well but in the end it might be so cheap to own it's worth taking risks.

I found this article a good read. If I was the OP I would run a Carfax on the car to see if it has a salvage history.
http://www.drivearabia.com/news/2009...ed-car-market/
The cars here are much much expensive than the US spec , the thing is cars here are much more abused than us spec , like gcc model is under powrerd in the ls460 , where as us spec is more powerfull , there is a difference of 5000$+ in same model of ls460 between gcc and us spec .

I did a car fax check before buying mine .
Old 07-08-15, 03:33 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by aaauae
The cars here are much much expensive than the US spec , the thing is cars here are much more abused than us spec , like gcc model is under powrerd in the ls460 , where as us spec is more powerfull , there is a difference of 5000$+ in same model of ls460 between gcc and us spec .

I did a car fax check before buying mine .
I was looking into why Toyota doesn't sell the 1URFSE equipped motor for the LS as well as other V6 DI engines and it's because of fuel quality. Apparently the fuel in your region has too much surfer which could present a problem otherwise I don't know they just don't sell the US spec in your country.
As far as refusing to service your car it could be that they want to discourage the purchase of US spec cars. Are there any independent repair facilities?
Old 07-08-15, 07:13 PM
aaauae
Driver

Originally Posted by Devh
I was looking into why Toyota doesn't sell the 1URFSE equipped motor for the LS as well as other V6 DI engines and it's because of fuel quality. Apparently the fuel in your region has too much surfer which could present a problem otherwise I don't know they just don't sell the US spec in your country.
As far as refusing to service your car it could be that they want to discourage the purchase of US spec cars. Are there any independent repair facilities?
In the UAE sulphur aint so high , its saudi arabia , bahrain , oman ..

Yes we have many specalized garages down here with loads of experience in repairs ...
Old 07-08-15, 08:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,750 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Originally Posted by carsRimper
I'm right at 140k on a 95 Sc3 that I too have owned for about a year. I also thought it would be reliable right out the hot box but so far, I've had 3 alternators fail within a month of each other and it was through no fault of the car but rather the vendor and now with the 1st reported overheat and replacement of the original radiator to a Denso replacement, I'm feeling the blues too but I think I've turned the corner in terms of reliability. Thank goodness the previous owner which was limited to 1.5 and it was cared for.
i got this car thinking its reliable and a great car , its a year now since i got it , all kind of problems have started its at 143k miles now .

i've replaced the starter a month back , then had a bad accident
These are reliable vehicles guys...but nothing lasts forever. That SC300 is going on 21 years old...expecting it to be "reliable" is a long shot. Find a 21 year old car that isn't going to require some repairs.

The LS460 has 143k miles, and as per the OP its started having some issues after a bad accident. Accidents can have all kinds of after effects on a car, and at vehicles of these ages when a previous owner has put 100k + miles on a car and/or owned it for decades...perhaps multiple owners...you just never know how the car has been maintained and treated.

In these situations, "reliability" issues no longer reflect on the quality of the car.

Hopefully OP your issue is that piece of metal/plastic.
Old 07-08-15, 09:04 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I get rid of vehicles long before 140,000 miles. I bought a 120,000 mile vehicle and regretted it. Stuff starts loosening up and there's only so much you can do to fix it. You can replace all the suspension components, but taking the interior apart to fix rattles gets old. The best bet is to buy lower mileage cars.
Old 07-08-15, 09:57 PM
aaauae
Driver

so i drove the car again after fixing that plastic piece , and there is no more sound .
Old 07-09-15, 08:17 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Glad it all worked out for you OP.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-09-15 at 08:52 AM. Reason: check pm
Old 07-09-15, 11:47 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by carsRimper
I'm right at 140k on a 95 Sc3 that I too have owned for about a year. I also thought it would be reliable right out the hot box but so far, I've had 3 alternators fail within a month of each other and it was through no fault of the car but rather the vendor and now with the 1st reported overheat and replacement of the original radiator to a Denso replacement, I'm feeling the blues too but I think I've turned the corner in terms of reliability. Thank goodness the previous owner which was limited to 1.5 and it was cared for.
When purchasing a 20+ years old vehicle like MB, BMW, Lexus, Jaguar, etc. even with a low mileage, these vehicles usually become a money pit. Reliability is out of the picture and what will it cost for repairs/parts on my 20+ years old, high end vehicle that I purchased a few months ago. The main reason why they are so cheap. Problems and many previous owners let the small problems turn in bigger problems. I would still take a 20+ years old Lexus LS over any of the other high end cars. As with most 20 years old vehicles its seen better days.
Old 07-09-15, 01:01 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so i drove the car again after fixing that plastic piece , and there is no more sound .
I have a similar piece on my 600. It's held on by 2 bolts and 1 snap fitting. One of mine was hanging by the lower bolt and slapping against the tire or undercarriage. I didn't notice because the car is so quiet but one day I had the radio off and heard the tapping. One of these days something serious is going to happen and I'm not going to hear it until fire comes out of something
Old 07-12-15, 06:13 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Higher mileage vehicles equals more wear and tear. Wear items like all the ones you've mentioned are typical among all vehicles. Higher mileage vehicles are typically not taken very good care of. Many owners will neglect maintenance and ditch the car rather than spending money on fixing issues. Now that you've fixed some of the issues you need to make a decision on keeping it or ditching it for a less expensive vehicle with lower miles. All cars will have problems over the years of operation. If you want the perfect car that never breaks I suggest closing your eyes and dreaming about it. In the real world all mechanical things will break given normal use. As for Luxory cars go the Lexus will outshine almost all other brands. If you want a laugh check out the BMW 7 series forums.
Old 07-12-15, 06:53 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzinZ
Higher mileage vehicles equals more wear and tear. Wear items like all the ones you've mentioned are typical among all vehicles. Higher mileage vehicles are typically not taken very good care of. Many owners will neglect maintenance and ditch the car rather than spending money on fixing issues. Now that you've fixed some of the issues you need to make a decision on keeping it or ditching it for a less expensive vehicle with lower miles. All cars will have problems over the years of operation. If you want the perfect car that never breaks I suggest closing your eyes and dreaming about it. In the real world all mechanical things will break given normal use. As for Luxory cars go the Lexus will outshine almost all other brands. If you want a laugh check out the BMW 7 series forums.
Always exceptions, but I find most LS460 owners take pretty good care of their cars and have their maintenance done at Lexus or Toyota dealers. Combined with the overall reliability of the model, this makes the Lexus online service records an excellent tool to use in the purchase process. It will also give you an idea of the reliability of the specific vehicle and the owner's driving habits.

After performing due diligence, such as obtaining the Carfax report, getting a pre-purchase inspection, doing visual inspection, and taking a test drive, I had no qualms about saving a good sum of money by purchasing a CPO LS460 with 60K miles instead of one with 30K miles.

If I could have afforded an LS460 with the features I wanted that was still under the original factory warranty, that would have changed things.
Old 07-15-15, 08:46 AM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I also suspect the accident, especially given timing of when the issue appeared. Wheel bearings often get damaged during impact even if they visually look like they didn't get hit.

Got any pictures of the damage? Was the shock absorber replaced as a result of the accident?
THIS!!! ^^^^^^ many things can get missed or ignored when your vehicle is repaired after a major accident. That the car suffered major damage only underscores this. I would be hesitant to blame Lexus or the Model of the car here.