LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2010 LS 460 Transmission Drain and Fill

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-15 | 10:58 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by swfla
I've only driven 8 miles in combined traffic so far. Everything's smooth as before.
I've gotten about 100 miles now including a little interstate driving. All is good.
Old 07-21-15 | 12:10 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Devh
I found the thread interesting but it had me back at square one.
The reason why it's controversial is because most people follow manufactures recommendations especially when it seems like Toyota techs are turning people away by saying it's not needed.
Lets say for argument sake the fluid breaks down early then it wouldn't be before long that transmissions wouldn't be falling from the sky and Toyota would be up to there knees in PR kind of like their oil gelling issues a decade ago.

I don't mind switching fluid to something better but I want a others to take that plunge before I do.
I think it depends on the tech, or the place. For instance I bought my car off a Lexus tech, he said the fluid is lifetime, but he also said that's a bunch of crap and that he'd change it. He told me how to do it.

I honestly got the feeling - when I was at the dealer - that they are a little nervous (maybe that's not the right word), but careful about changing the fluid on these things, for the simple fact that it's a little difficult to get the level right. I was told that if its not correct, you'll be replacing your transmission within 700 miles, so I imagine they've screwed a few of them up and don't enjoy doing them.

It all comes down to..are you one of those people that change transmission fluid...or are you one of those people that believe it can last the life of th vehicle. As for LS 460 transmission failures, I don't think there is enough of them out there with real high miles on them - at least ones where the owner will tell you they never changed the fluid. There is one on here with over 250k, but I think the guy has changed his fluid. Plus these transmissions are one of the most reliable ones in the industry (and I don think that has anything to do with fluid type), they just aren't one of those "problem" transmissions.
Old 07-21-15 | 12:33 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I think it depends on the tech, or the place. For instance I bought my car off a Lexus tech, he said the fluid is lifetime, but he also said that's a bunch of crap and that he'd change it. He told me how to do it.

I honestly got the feeling - when I was at the dealer - that they are a little nervous (maybe that's not the right word), but careful about changing the fluid on these things, for the simple fact that it's a little difficult to get the level right. I was told that if its not correct, you'll be replacing your transmission within 700 miles, so I imagine they've screwed a few of them up and don't enjoy doing them.

It all comes down to..are you one of those people that change transmission fluid...or are you one of those people that believe it can last the life of th vehicle. As for LS 460 transmission failures, I don't think there is enough of them out there with real high miles on them - at least ones where the owner will tell you they never changed the fluid. There is one on here with over 250k, but I think the guy has changed his fluid. Plus these transmissions are one of the most reliable ones in the industry (and I don think that has anything to do with fluid type), they just aren't one of those "problem" transmissions.
True but also consider how many Toyota vehicles are using the WS fluid since it's introduction in 2004. Consider how many Toyota cars and trucks sold world wide that are abiding by the factory recommendation. If there was even 2% of broken transmissions it would be on the radar in a big way.
Also consider if the fluid goes bad as early as 60k as some on that thread proclaim then the transmission would be failing in short order but the only best explanation is that it's progressive.

I have seen so many threads like this one that makes me wonder.
http://www.corollaforum.com/threads/...d-advice.1638/

I haven't seen one thread anywhere with a failed transmission with high miles. Low miles due to manufacturing defect yes.

I have also read the TSB that says if the transmission fluid change is not done correctly it can lead to a catastrophic failure.

I just changed my transmission fluid in my Honda Accord at 121k miles. I put too much in accidentally and had the torque converter chatter. I then decided to do a flush by changing out the fluid two more times and monitored the level over a few days. The chatter was there for a few days and now it's gone. The difference in shifting is not that much different then it was before.

Last edited by Devh; 07-21-15 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-21-15 | 04:17 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

True but also consider how many Toyota vehicles are using the WS fluid since it's introduction in 2004. Consider how many Toyota cars and trucks sold world wide that are abiding by the factory recommendation. If there was even 2% of broken transmissions it would be on the radar in a big way.
Also consider if the fluid goes bad as early as 60k as some on that thread proclaim then the transmission would be failing in short order but the only best explanation is that it's progressive.

I have seen so many threads like this one that makes me wonder.
http://www.corollaforum.com/threads/...d-advice.1638/

I haven't seen one thread anywhere with a failed transmission with high miles. Low miles due to manufacturing defect yes.

I have also read the TSB that says if the transmission fluid change is not done correctly it can lead to a catastrophic failure.

I just changed my transmission fluid in my Honda Accord at 121k miles. I put too much in accidentally and had the torque converter chatter. I then decided to do a flush by changing out the fluid two more times and monitored the level over a few days. The chatter was there for a few days and now it's gone. The difference in shifting is not that much different then it was before.
Yeah but how many Toyota vehicles consider WS a lifetime fluid? Is it considered lifetime across the board? If so, I didn't realize that.
As for the general feeling that WS isn't a good fluid...I don't agree with that. I just don't agree that it's a lifetime fluid. I think it needs to be changed like everything else.
Old 07-21-15 | 04:26 PM
Devh
Racer

Yeah but how many Toyota vehicles consider WS a lifetime fluid? Is it considered lifetime across the board? If so, I didn't realize that.
As for the general feeling that WS isn't a good fluid...I don't agree with that. I just don't agree that it's a lifetime fluid. I think it needs to be changed like everything else.
I agree with you now that more information even if some of it is speculation has come to light.
What I might do is change it out at 100k along with the long life coolant.

I also agree there are incidences where manufactures have dropped the ball case in point when Toyota recommends GL5 fluid in place of GL4 for their manual transmissions. Those that ran GL5 had their transmissions fall apart because it was corrosive to brass. To this day Toyota still recommends GL5 when most enthusiasts know it's a death sentence.
Old 07-21-15 | 04:29 PM
Devh
Racer

I forgot in regard to WS as lifetime fluid it would seem from my search it would appear that many of the other passenger cars is listed as lifetime except the SUVs and trucks where they recommend changing it out at 60k if the vehicle is used for towing.
Old 07-21-15 | 05:12 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

As I stated before, when it comes to Toyota/Lexus' "recommendations" and they're assertions that our trannys are "Lifetime Fluid", please keep in mind that this only applies to U.S. vehicles. Every other market, including here in Canada, Lexus recommends fluid changes regularly. That alone, should raise an eyebrow.

I will not assert that my transmission shifts smoother or that it will even last longer after having changed out my fluid. However, I feel as though this service is a good preventative measure. It's also interesting that BMW, MB and a few other manufacturers have rescinded their statements that their fluids are "lifetime" and have amended their manuals to reflect that. For 150 bucks or so at my Toyota dealer every few years for this service, it's certainly not a financial burden.
Old 07-21-15 | 05:26 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

I agree with you now that more information even if some of it is speculation has come to light.
What I might do is change it out at 100k along with the long life coolant.

I also agree there are incidences where manufactures have dropped the ball case in point when Toyota recommends GL5 fluid in place of GL4 for their manual transmissions. Those that ran GL5 had their transmissions fall apart because it was corrosive to brass. To this day Toyota still recommends GL5 when most enthusiasts know it's a death sentence.
I did my coolant at 75k, I figured why not? If I wait till 100k my water pump might blow 100 miles after I put the new fluid in, plus I live in an area where the winters are awful and the summers are pretty damn hot. I only did a simple drain and fill. Keep in mind I've seen a lot of extended life coolant look like cake batter when I've changed them at 100k - I didn't want my car getting anywhere close to that.

After the first coolant change, the service life of the coolant is only good for 50k miles after, according to the owner's manual...so if my water pump lasts until 120k, I'll hit it just right (I have no idea why I set these little goals for myself or my car).
Old 07-21-15 | 06:21 PM
Devh
Racer

I did my coolant at 75k, I figured why not? If I wait till 100k my water pump might blow 100 miles after I put the new fluid in, plus I live in an area where the winters are awful and the summers are pretty damn hot. I only did a simple drain and fill. Keep in mind I've seen a lot of extended life coolant look like cake batter when I've changed them at 100k - I didn't want my car getting anywhere close to that.

After the first coolant change, the service life of the coolant is only good for 50k miles after, according to the owner's manual...so if my water pump lasts until 120k, I'll hit it just right (I have no idea why I set these little goals for myself or my car).
The Toyota red is very good stuff. I have and many others had great experience with it going the distance. I went the recommended allowance twice and the coolant and water pump are still surviving at 150k on my other car which reminds me that I'm over do and will need to change the coolant which takes twice the amount of a normal car and is a pain to bleed the air out of.
Old 07-22-15 | 04:07 AM
jud149
Advanced

FWIW, the tranny fluid in my '11 LS460 (and the rear axle fluid for that matter) was changed at 24k miles by the dealer as normal CPO prep prior to my purchase. They actually did the full regular 30k mile service which I was told was normal since it was close the to 30k mile level. At least that what the Lexus service records show.
Old 07-22-15 | 04:41 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

The Toyota red is very good stuff. I have and many others had great experience with it going the distance. I went the recommended allowance twice and the coolant and water pump are still surviving at 150k on my other car which reminds me that I'm over do and will need to change the coolant which takes twice the amount of a normal car and is a pain to bleed the air out of.
Yeah it seems like good stuff, the stuff I took at 70k miles looked the same as the stuff I put in...for whatever that's worth. Meanwhile if it were dexcool, it would have come out in clumps.
Old 07-22-15 | 04:48 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jud149
FWIW, the tranny fluid in my '11 LS460 (and the rear axle fluid for that matter) was changed at 24k miles by the dealer as normal CPO prep prior to my purchase. They actually did the full regular 30k mile service which I was told was normal since it was close the to 30k mile level. At least that what the Lexus service records show.
They changed your tranny and diff fluid at 24k miles? I've never heard of such a thing - I imagine one of two things happened...they lied...or the dealer is able to make some money off of Lexus and changing a couple of fluids way before it's necessary, is the way they're doing it nowadays.

It makes me laugh when a salesman shows me "what they've done to the vehicle" upon its trade in, as some sort of sales pitch. I bought a CRV a couple of years ago and the sales guy told me they had $1,200 in repairs done to it when it was turned in, and it was why they couldn't lower the price (which they did as soon as I started to walk). The repairs were...oil change, tire rotation/balance, alignment, wiper blades, clean and detail, top off all fluids and inspect starting and charging systems. That was $1,200 bucks, and the alignment was way off. I bet they changed the oil, added washer fluid and replaced the wiper blades. The battery needed to be replaced two months later.
Old 07-22-15 | 05:41 AM
jud149
Advanced

They changed your tranny and diff fluid at 24k miles? I've never heard of such a thing - I imagine one of two things happened...they lied...or the dealer is able to make some money off of Lexus and changing a couple of fluids way before it's necessary, is the way they're doing it nowadays.
Whether they actually did the fluid changes or not, I don't know. If I were to bet though, I'd bet they did. I've bought a lot of cars from dealers over the last 55 years or so and this dealer, JM Lexus in Margate, Fl, is without a doubt the best I ever dealt with by far. There is no BS and they try very hard to make you happy. Generally, they give you more than you'd expect. They advertise themselves as the world's highest-volume Lexus dealership since 1992 and it's easy to see why. I dealt with 4 other Lexus dealers in the area and got the normal dealer BS one would expect before buying my '11 LS460 CPO from JM. The prep/condition of the CPO's these other dealers offered didn't come close to that of the one from JM.

PS I have no affiliation with JM Lexus

Last edited by jud149; 07-22-15 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-22-15 | 08:02 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by jud149
Whether they actually did the fluid changes or not, I don't know. If I were to bet though, I'd bet they did. I've bought a lot of cars from dealers over the last 55 years or so and this dealer, JM Lexus in Margate, Fl, is without a doubt the best I ever dealt with by far. There is no BS and they try very hard to make you happy. Generally, they give you more than you'd expect. They advertise themselves as the world's highest-volume Lexus dealership since 1992 and it's easy to see why. I dealt with 4 other Lexus dealers in the area and got the normal dealer BS one would expect before buying my '11 LS460 CPO from JM. The prep/condition of the CPO's these other dealers offered didn't come close to that of the one from JM.

PS I have no affiliation with JM Lexus
I'm sure your dealer is great however it would throw up a red flag if that was mentioned to me and they didn't flush the brake fluid with the trans fluid. What I mean by that is that it makes more sense to take care of upcoming serviceable items for their customers if it's their philosophy to give the customer the impression they are looking out for you. Dealers are out to make margins even if they have scruples but any good business would use that unnecessary transmission flush to pass the savings to the customer.
I'm sure if they never performed the flush you would still buy the car.
Old 07-22-15 | 09:47 AM
jud149
Advanced

I'm sure your dealer is great however it would throw up a red flag if that was mentioned to me and they didn't flush the brake fluid with the trans fluid. What I mean by that is that it makes more sense to take care of upcoming serviceable items for their customers if it's their philosophy to give the customer the impression they are looking out for you. Dealers are out to make margins even if they have scruples but any good business would use that unnecessary transmission flush to pass the savings to the customer.
I'm sure if they never performed the flush you would still buy the car.
As mentioned, and according to Lexus mtce records, the 30k mile service was performed, even though the car had just 24k on it. Work performed included:

"30000 MILE SERVICE NON WARRANTY 30000 MILE SERVICE FOR PREOWNED, REPLACE BRAKE FLUID, REPLACE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION OIL,REPLACE DIFFENTAIL OIL, REPLACE ENGINE AIR FILTER,CHANGE ENGINE COOLANT,REPLACE COOLANT,INSPECT FUEL LINES & CONNECTIONS, FUEL TANK VAPOR SYSTEM HOSES,FUEL TANK BAND, - PERFORMED 30K SERVICE"

and

"OTHER INSPECTION MULTI - POINT INSPECTION, VEH/ PREP GUIDE - ALL BODY OPENINGS, ALL ACC. , LIGHTS, GAUGES AUDIO,LOF,ALL FLUIDS FILL TO SPECS,BATTERY,ALL WIRES,BELTS, HOSES,TIRES & WHEELS. BRAKES .PLUS ALL CHASIS COMPONENTS, EXHAUST SYSTEM,ROAD TEST TO INSURE THE ENGINE, TRANS - MULTIPOINT INSPECTION,AIR FILTER,A/C FILTER,WIPER INSERTS BALANCED WHEELS,PROGRAMMED 1 KEY"

Anyway, we're getting a little off subject of the initial post.

Quick Reply: 2010 LS 460 Transmission Drain and Fill