LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

The 460 is a beast

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-15, 02:22 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

OK, points taken. I appreciate your perspective.
Old 08-01-15, 02:37 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great thread! Yes I feel like the 460s are pretty underrated. Having previously owned a 430, I feel like the 460 takes the character of the 430 (quiet, smooth, high build quality, etc) and takes it up another few notches. Everytime I drive mine I am amazed by how solid and smooth the car is. I have been nothing but impressed. I do wish we had more tech like a heads up display or massage front seats, but w/e I would trade the impressive tech of the Germans for the extra Japanese reliability. I am looking forward to many more years with my 460!
Old 08-01-15, 02:51 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Great thread! Yes I feel like the 460s are pretty underrated. Having previously owned a 430, I feel like the 460 takes the character of the 430 (quiet, smooth, high build quality, etc) and takes it up another few notches. Everytime I drive mine I am amazed by how solid and smooth the car is. I have been nothing but impressed. I do wish we had more tech like a heads up display or massage front seats, but w/e I would trade the impressive tech of the Germans for the extra Japanese reliability. I am looking forward to many more years with my 460!
Heads up display is awesome! Had it in my corvette and loved it...probably the best thing about that car.
Old 08-01-15, 03:07 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
When I first bought mine I babied it...I let it just sit in my garage while I took my other car. My rational was that I didn't want to ruin it, what was I thinking?? Driving this thing will not "ruin it", it can handle it. Someone I knew really had a way of talking me out of my idea of "preserving" or "saving" this vehicle. He said, they're built really well, and just like any car, ten/fifteen years from now it'll go to the junkyard like everything else. Don't treat it like a Ferrari, it's made to be driven, just take care of it and change the fluids...keep it clean.

That was said to me 10 months ago...I've put 29k miles on it since then...I feel I have catching up to do for basically letting it sit for a year. It's been real easy.
I agree 100%. I really enjoy driving my 460 and I don't worry about mileage. I know people who let their 460 sit, babied, and they boost about its never been driven in the rain or its low mileage. That's fine and dandy but the 460 is built like a tank and made to be driven. Because sooner or later it will end up as scrap metal.
Old 08-01-15, 06:08 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Heads up display is awesome! Had it in my corvette and loved it...probably the best thing about that car.
I'm driving the new Cadillac Escalade platinum edition right now to pick up my sisters family from the airport.
Cadillac has made so many improvements from the last Escalade and it's a technological marvel with the heads up display and all the touchscreen interfaces. The ride is Royal however the LS 460 is still the more poised and comfortable driving vehicle. Why am I comparing in SUV to a luxury car simply because there was video review the compare them both oddly.

The 460 is literally a Boeing 747.
Old 08-01-15, 07:49 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

He said, they're built really well, and just like any car, ten/fifteen years from now it'll go to the junkyard like everything else.
Yeah I wouldn't count on that. My LS430 will turn 15 in March and with 115k on the clock it looks and drives practically the same as the day I bought it.

I think some people just don't like that the LS460 is different. It's a different car, a different product than the LS430/400.

I suspect people like the LS430 because of it's quietness and smoothness; and in that regard I have to say that the LS430 is quieter and smoother; especially in regards to engine and tire noise. But it's not a night and day difference. It also rolls more; has steering that is vague in sporty maneuvers, and isn't as fast as the 460 (although I will admit the 460 motor is more peaky which means you have to wind it out a bit more). The brakes on the 460 are firmer and easier to modulate; the steering is ultra precise and quick; and the car responds in a much more immediate way. On a quick blast down the PCH I feel much more confident on that winding road in my 600h than my 430. But I don't feel unsafe in either car.

I think this was all deliberate on Lexus' part; they wanted to create a car that felt more connected to the road. My 600h actually feels lighter and better balanced than my 430 (which is funny because it's in fact 1100lbs heavier). Also the use of DFI and I'm sure the quest for weight reduction, fuel economy (and sportiness) led to a bit of the sound deadening being taken out of the car. But it's never loud; never coarse. With the air ride set to "Comfort" on a smooth road the 460 comes very very close to the 430 in terms of quiet and smoothness; at the expense of a little more float.

I will say that my 430 interior has held up a little bit better than the 600h; but I didn't buy either car new so who knows what abuse the PO gave (or didn't give) it. Also I have 17s on the 430 and 18s on the 600 so this may account for some of the noise and ride firmness.

There were a couple teething problems on early LS460s; but they are nothing compared to what a BMW 7 series owner has to go through. Bear in mind the 4LS is an entirely new design while the 3LS was (even casually) still derived from the prior generations; so less changed.

At the end of the day haters gonna hate (and pick nits). Both cars are great; I enjoy driving both of them for different reasons. But depending on what's important to you you'll prefer one or the other.

And that's ok. It's a free country after all.

Old 08-01-15, 08:10 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

jainla, if this were a different forum, I'd "green" your post.

It's not an either/or option of one LS model over another, and no one should feel pressured to defend their choice of vehicle from haters or just nitpickers. If OP wants to extol the LS460's virtues, great (it's always heartening to hear positive experiences about your car model), but he's already preaching to the choir and won't change the minds of anyone who has an opposite opinion.

For those considering an LS460, this forum is a great resource. For those debating between the LS430 and LS460, the LS430 forum provides additional information and opinions. Balanced posts like the above make the difference.
Old 08-01-15, 11:13 PM
kkasaki
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 430, but i alway wanted a 460
Old 08-02-15, 04:59 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gbp
jainla, if this were a different forum, I'd "green" your post.

It's not an either/or option of one LS model over another, and no one should feel pressured to defend their choice of vehicle from haters or just nitpickers. If OP wants to extol the LS460's virtues, great (it's always heartening to hear positive experiences about your car model), but he's already preaching to the choir and won't change the minds of anyone who has an opposite opinion.

For those considering an LS460, this forum is a great resource. For those debating between the LS430 and LS460, the LS430 forum provides additional information and opinions. Balanced posts like the above make the difference.
Well I think we're entering a different realm now - the reliability realm - because now with the miles some of these cars are accumulating, you can make an assessment and say...boy those 430 owners are right, or boy those 430 owners are dead wrong. And I wouldn't be changing opinion, I'd be changing facts. But I totally understand your point.

Truth is I've never even mentioned the LS 430...what's good about it, what isn't...I think they historically have been great cars.
Old 08-02-15, 05:08 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Devh
I'm driving the new Cadillac Escalade platinum edition right now to pick up my sisters family from the airport.
Cadillac has made so many improvements from the last Escalade and it's a technological marvel with the heads up display and all the touchscreen interfaces. The ride is Royal however the LS 460 is still the more poised and comfortable driving vehicle. Why am I comparing in SUV to a luxury car simply because there was video review the compare them both oddly.

The 460 is literally a Boeing 747.
Cadillac has made some beautiful looking cars of late, I'm not generally thrilled with their interiors, but the outside looks pristine.

The Escalade generally is considered a reliable vehicle, as for the rest of their cars?? When I was car shopping I considered the CTS because I thought they were nice looking and the prices were so low. My brother in law used to work for Caddy and I asked him what he thought of them, he told me if I was to buy one I'd find out just what it means to own American junk. He said the timing chain would need replacement - that was a guarantee - and every single little electronic gadget would stop working within two years..the heated steering wheel, the seats, etc. And he said they burn oil - just eats it - the sun roof will leak, check engine lights will go on every other month, it will eat tires, on and on and on. But still the prices were right and I loved the way they looked...glad I didn't go that route. I don't think it would have held up to my 30k miles of yearly driving.
Old 08-02-15, 04:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

It really is a great car. Its the kind of car that really grows on you too, and once you get used to it driving another car gets hard. We just got back from PA with our twins and we took the van obviously. Its very nice, lots of room...but it is punishing to drive on the highway compared with the LS. Its not compared to other cars...but it is compared to the LS.

As for the 430 hate, its ridiculous. I had both, and yes I'm a little removed from having had the 430, I had multiple other Lexus products in between...they are very similar cars. If you're comparing an LS430 with 17s to an LS460 with 19s...yes the 430 rides better. If you're comparing an LS430 with 18s to an LS460 with 18s...the 460 rides better.

As for reliability, its "degrees of excellence". Even if you do cede that perhaps the 460 is marginally less reliable than the 430...its still one of if not the most reliable cars on the road...just look at the ratings. To hear the haters talk you would think that the 460 was like owning an Audi.
Old 08-02-15, 04:30 PM
jfattibe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely !! All great points. I've only owned my 460 for a little over a month and put on around 1000 miles and have to say this car is by far the most luxurious muscle car I have ever driven. Even with the hesitation that comes and goes (which drove me crazy at first) I would never take my Honda Civic back and that ran flawlessly for the 9 years I owned her. While doing the oil change I laid on my back astounded how well built and heavy duty this suspension is. I love looking over the bible they call an owners manual and the hundred things that are power (even the headrests). When I started looking for a Lexus I was looking at the 430 but was drawn to the 460 because of the new design, which to me is the sexiest vehicle on the road. Just my opinion !!!
Old 08-02-15, 04:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It is a great looking vehicle. I love the shape of the roof line and the greenhouse...
Old 08-03-15, 03:10 PM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

This thread is full of win! I still love my 460 and I loved my 430 as well but prefer the 460 and yes I notice the negative comments from some 430 owners and some who tend to go out of their way to let us 4th gen owners know how bad our car is lol! Funny how one can make these statements and never owned one hilarious.
Old 08-03-15, 04:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But remember "all the Lexus techs say the 430 was the best car Lexus ever made"

Quick Reply: The 460 is a beast