LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Vaistech IVIC-D not supporting my new Galaxy S6 - Options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-15, 12:17 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts
Default Vaistech IVIC-D not supporting my new Galaxy S6 - Options?

I upgraded my Note 3 to a Galaxy S6. I did not realize that these new phones no longer support HDMI (via MHL Adapter), which basically renders my IVIC-D useless. Guess it's time to sell it.

I spoke with Vaistech this morning and was advised that my options are limited. They mentioned something about Miracast and Netgear PTV3000. Basically media streaming which would require using my data plan. Not exactly pleased about all this.

So, any ideas out there? Alternatives?
Old 08-04-15, 05:52 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

On another note...

Rather than buying a Bluetooth device to play my music (such as the SL3B), can I hook up to the IVIC-D via the USB on the back of the unit to play music from my phone? I'd rather that than the Bluetooth option due to sound degradation. If I can, than at least I've salvaged something from this brick. Also, if I CAN do the aforementioned, is it still controllable from my steering wheel controls?
Old 08-05-15, 07:30 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Sorry to hear about the S6's lack of MHL support. It looks like the simplest solution is to replace the S6 with a phone that has either an HDMI mini port or that supports MHL. Until your thread, i didn't realize my Moto X also was incompatible with MHL, so no IVIC in my future until that changes.

I don't know if you can use the USB port of the IVIC to stream music from your Android phone. I know the USB port in my 2010 LS460 only streams music from an Apple device or supposedly from a USB memory stick.
Old 08-05-15, 09:15 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Stick a chromecast in the ivic-d hdmi and mirror phone: problem solved. And you don't even need to plug your phone with any cable to make it work. Tried it at some point and it actually work exceptionally well. The only downside is that the music is compressed and for me I was just not willing to sacrifice audio quality but it might work for you. Other solution would be to install a dedicated android stick but it does require more customization to make it work exacly as you want. For me that's the route I've chosen.

Edit: the touchscreen feature for ivic-d actually use Bluetooth so this part don't require cable as well
Old 08-05-15, 10:02 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vansibel
Stick a chromecast in the ivic-d hdmi and mirror phone: problem solved. And you don't even need to plug your phone with any cable to make it work. Tried it at some point and it actually work exceptionally well. The only downside is that the music is compressed and for me I was just not willing to sacrifice audio quality but it might work for you. Other solution would be to install a dedicated android stick but it does require more customization to make it work exacly as you want. For me that's the route I've chosen.

Edit: the touchscreen feature for ivic-d actually use Bluetooth so this part don't require cable as well
Yes, I just got off the phone with them again this morn. They recommend using Miracast and the Netgear PTV3000. They said it works. Sounds similar to what you stated. My issues with this setup are sound quality and the inability to use my touchscreen on the Nav. Could you clarify what you stated? I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you did.

They also stated that I cannot use the IVIC-D to play my music through my phone. They stated that the USB port is for mass storage devices like USB sticks and Ipods.
Old 08-05-15, 10:45 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Another thing....

If I am mirroring my phone through a Chromecast dongle or similar device, does it use my data plan? Same with streaming my music through these devices, does it also consume my data? I assume it does and would not be an option for me as I am only allowed 3gb data per month.
Old 08-05-15, 10:59 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Yes, I just got off the phone with them again this morn. They recommend using Miracast and the Netgear PTV3000. They said it works. Sounds similar to what you stated. My issues with this setup are sound quality and the inability to use my touchscreen on the Nav. Could you clarify what you stated? I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you did.

They also stated that I cannot use the IVIC-D to play my music through my phone. They stated that the USB port is for mass storage devices like USB sticks and Ipods.
With this setup (phone mirror) you will still be able to use the touchscreen of the nav to control your phone as I have stated before ivic-d use Bluetooth for that function, so that won't be a problem. The wireless mirroring is by far the easiest and most convenient, but one downside is the audio quality will suffer a bit. But I'm pretty sure most people wont even notice. The codec for streaming the screen might get improved in the future though with an update. In short:

1. Buy chromecast (or other mirroring device)
2. Plug it in and connect it with phone via wifi
3. Pair ivic-d with phone via Bluetooth for nav touchscreen feature
4. Cast screen on the chromecast with your phone

For my own needs I used a much more elaborated setup with a dedicated android stick, which mean the stick in itself is a full android computer so your setup won't depend on your phone anymore and the audio quality will remain intact. I also plugged 4tb ssd hd with all my song and a few movies for good measure and paired it to a dedicated Bluetooth gps, which are much better at pure gps positioning than phone as phone heavily rely on the cell network.
Old 08-05-15, 11:01 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Another thing....

If I am mirroring my phone through a Chromecast dongle or similar device, does it use my data plan? Same with streaming my music through these devices, does it also consume my data? I assume it does and would not be an option for me as I am only allowed 3gb data per month.
Absolutely not, the connection use wifi. It will only cost you if your streaming song from an online source and activate data from your phone. If the songs are copied to your phone it wont use your data.
Old 08-05-15, 11:16 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

With this setup (phone mirror) you will still be able to use the touchscreen of the nav to control your phone as I have stated before ivic-d use Bluetooth for that function, so that won't be a problem. The wireless mirroring is by far the easiest and most convenient, but one downside is the audio quality will suffer a bit. But I'm pretty sure most people wont even notice. The codec for streaming the screen might get improved in the future though with an update. In short:

1. Buy chromecast (or other mirroring device)
2. Plug it in and connect it with phone via wifi
3. Pair ivic-d with phone via Bluetooth for nav touchscreen feature
4. Cast screen on the chromecast with your phone

For my own needs I used a much more elaborated setup with a dedicated android stick, which mean the stick in itself is a full android computer so your setup won't depend on your phone anymore and the audio quality will remain intact. I also plugged 4tb ssd hd with all my song and a few movies for good measure and paired it to a dedicated Bluetooth gps, which are much better at pure gps positioning than phone as phone heavily rely on the cell network.
Wow. You are FAR more knowledgeable than the tech I spoke with at Vais! Awesome info.
Looks like I have a project today.

Do you know if I'll still be able to use a bluetooth mouse to control my screen?

My local Staples store has the Chromecast dongle in stock for 49 bucks. I'll check it out today.
Old 08-05-15, 11:32 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Wow. You are FAR more knowledgeable than the tech I spoke with at Vais! Awesome info.

Do you know if I'll still be able to use a bluetooth mouse to control my screen?

My local Staples store has the Chromecast dongle in stock for 49 bucks. I'll check it out today.
Yes mouse should work as modern Bluetooth protocol support multiple devices connected at once. Bluetooth mouse are hit or miss though, I consider those using a usb dongle + wifi far more precise and stable (same for keyboard). But you do need to have a free female usb socket to use it and not many phone have those (usb OTG cable might also work). One of the other reason I choose the dedicated android computer route.
Old 08-06-15, 03:33 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

49 bucks is too expensive for a Chromecast. Waltz into Best Buy and have them price match Amazon for 30 bucks. Or just buy it off Amazon.Whichever works for you. But definitely don't 49 bucks for one.
Old 08-07-15, 04:14 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by enoch861
49 bucks is too expensive for a Chromecast. Waltz into Best Buy and have them price match Amazon for 30 bucks. Or just buy it off Amazon.Whichever works for you. But definitely don't 49 bucks for one.
Probably meant Canadian Dollar
Old 08-07-15, 10:18 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Probably meant Canadian Dollar
Then ignore my comment.
Old 08-10-15, 10:51 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

What about Roku? Gets the best reviews.
Old 08-30-15, 12:13 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

So I bought a Chromecast dongle. Problem is it seems to require wifi. When I try to connect my phone to Chromecast it wants a wifi connection. I tried to use my phone's "hotspot" as the connection but that doesn't seem to work.

What am I missing???

Quick Reply: Vaistech IVIC-D not supporting my new Galaxy S6 - Options?