LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Cupholder noise on long trip vs. OCD

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-15, 10:31 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Cupholder noise on long trip vs. OCD

I noticed that certain Contigo thermos products cause the cupholders in the console to make a ticking sound on long trips - not initially, but over a period of time. This is annoying because the car is so quiet otherwise. My Wife says she isn't bothered by the noise, but I can't stand it - so I have to constantly bump the containers slightly to quiet the noise. Am I nuts?
Old 09-04-15, 10:45 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

That would bother me as well. The obvious question to me is: Why haven't you bought a different brand of cup? It may be that simple.
Old 09-04-15, 11:45 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Tec80
I noticed that certain Contigo thermos products cause the cupholders in the console to make a ticking sound on long trips - not initially, but over a period of time. This is annoying because the car is so quiet otherwise. My Wife says she isn't bothered by the noise, but I can't stand it - so I have to constantly bump the containers slightly to quiet the noise. Am I nuts?
Funny you should make a thread out of this annoyance, as I have experienced a similar thing (wont call it an issue).
But with my car, I get it with a simple water bottle.
As a matter of fact, just recently when I was driving around on lunch, I could hear it making that "tick" noise here and there and it drives me up a wall!!
Now, before everyone attacks me, I understand this is a very miniscule thing to complain about, but when I read this thread I could immediately identify with his situation.
Now regarding my situation, since its not a thermos with a metal casing, but a plastic water bottle, I've narrowed it down (in my car) to the actual semi-round, cup-holding "buds" that move to compensate for different sized cups within the holder. Though subtle, they actually make a little noise when touched/moved/shifted.
Nothing a little music at a bit of a higher decibel wont fix...but when I like to drive in quite with a water bottle in the holder...I almost have to place the bottle in the drivers seat or on the passenger side floor.
Old 09-04-15, 12:23 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Tec80
It can be irritating for some but a few paper napkins or towels placed in the cupholders first worked for me.
Old 09-04-15, 02:35 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Plastic against plastic... yep, it squeaks/ticks. A rubberized cup (or, for the cheap, a paper fast food cup) is a great solution.
Old 09-04-15, 02:47 PM
Tec80
Advanced

CRowe14, YESSSS!!!!!!

It does this with my stainless Contigo coffee thermos, or any other type of bottle. On a recent trip it even did this with a styrofoam cup of tea. And I literally did exactly what you did, put the bottles on the floor because I was getting distracted by the anticipation of having to bump or wiggle each bottle every so often.

We usually put 2 contigo bottles of water in the console on long (450-500 miles in one stretch) trips. I'll try the paper towel under the container method.
Old 09-04-15, 04:05 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

What most people do including auto manufactures is use synthetic velvet adhesive strips between the pieces where they contact.
You just need to track down contacting surfaces and apply as much or as little.
I must warn you that if you solve one creek you will uncover another and it may lead you to obsess over every little tick.
Old 09-04-15, 04:41 PM
Tec80
Advanced

I know the feeling, it works for both noises and vibration issues. The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection is an excellent motto for both Lexus and us customers!
Old 09-04-15, 05:19 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Same issue here with just about anything except fast food cups which of course are soft.

Fortunately, my amplifier goes to 11.....
Old 09-04-15, 07:33 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

I hear an odd sound here and again when using the cupholders. But knowing it's the bottle and not the car, I don't care.
Old 09-04-15, 07:49 PM
retlex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Like Devh related, felt tape can quiet the ticking noise. I purchased the felt tape at FindTape.com (JVCC felt-1 mm thick 3/4 x 75' roll). Many useful applications where a very thin felt with adhesive is needed for contact areas that need quieting. The finished product tailored to the plastic looks good, and it's quiet. What I like most is that it's very thin, like the Lexus dealer has-but does not sell.
Old 09-06-15, 07:05 AM
dfrosch
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Same issue here with just about anything except fast food cups which of course are soft.

Fortunately, my amplifier goes to 11.....

Classic...

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...
Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.