LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thinking about giving up on my LS

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-15, 04:33 PM
RudyRC51
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about giving up on my LS

Highly considering jumping out of my beloved 07 LS460L for a CPO 13 GS f sport. Please let me know if my rationale is accurate.
LS Facts:
PRO's - recent leak down test results motor is strong, all electrics are good, on the waiting list for a new dash and door panels, (every time I walk up to my car i fall in love with the look for the past 5 years), 145k with no major issues

CON's: 145k with no major issues meaning something will happen soon, my rear right air strut/shock has been busted (aka floating") the last year, the rear left looks like there is a small leak as well. I can't see buying one air strut for 1900 if i will eventually need to replace the others, received a quote for 4k for full air all the way around (aftermarket, will need to worry about leaks and sacrifice OEM quality). No idea if the controls arms and bushings are good or not, no leaky joints. There is a clinging sound in the front for some time when i go over rough road, I assume that is a bushing issue.

I am over modifying my cars, I simply drive it EVERYWHERE. I drive much more than the average person, 100k in the last 5 years, mostly CA freeway. I would gladly convert to non-air for the full suspension but seems that there may be an issue with the lights on the dash and errors. Some people say you can, others say you cant.

I feel that fixing the suspension will run around 5-8k and the current amount owed is 13k, so say my car will cost my around 20k outright in it's current form.

****I would love to know what your estimates and recommendations are to fix the suspension and what you guys have paid.. I have mechanic skills and have master mechanic buddies to help me put in wrench time to make it the most cost effective. I wouldn't elect to have it done at the dealership, i like my arm's and leg's attached to my body.**

I was quoted the amount i currently owe for my trade in value therefore I have the option to jump out of it right now if i choose. I have an eye on a 13 GS F-sport CPO 33k miles, Liquid Plat with cabernet red for 37.4k+.... I hate to give up my baby, she has been great to me, but i fear the loses will add up over time since it is almost 10 years old.

Last edited by RudyRC51; 09-07-15 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-07-15, 04:45 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

It were me I would just converted it to the non air suspension and keep moving. I believe there is post somewhere that someone stated that there is no issue with dash lights being a problem.
Shocks are wearable items and the fact that you got this many miles on the original air shocks is pretty damn good.

If you are just bored and want something new then just sell it and move on.
I have to ask you a few questions.

1. Did you change the transmission fluid, if so when.
2. What kind of engine oil did you use.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-07-15, 04:59 PM
RudyRC51
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Devh
It were me I would just converted it to the non air suspension and keep moving. I believe there is post somewhere that someone stated that there is no issue with dash lights being a problem.
Shocks are wearable items and the fact that you got this many miles on the original air shocks is pretty damn good.

If you are just bored and want something new then just sell it and move on.
I have to ask you a few questions.

1. Did you change the transmission fluid, if so when.
2. What kind of engine oil did you use.

Thanks in advance.
I know it was changed out the tranny fluid somewhere between 115 and 120, my master mech friend advised we should with his past experience even though it may not of been needed.

I am currently on Mobil 1 high mileage 5-20, but since I have been noticing the oil consumption issues, I plan to thicken it to 10-40 the next time around. My motor has been a champ, except for going through a change almost every two months.
Old 09-07-15, 10:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Nothing lasts forever, at that mileage and given the mileage you drive I'd move on.

As for the GS, seeing that you do mostly freeway driving, are you sure? I loved my GS, but the plus of the GS isn't really realized on the highway, which is where the LS a really shines. The GS rewards on a backroad, the LS on the highway and if you do mostly highway driving...
Old 09-07-15, 10:57 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your LS. The '13 CPO GS F sport is a good choice. Your LS got 145K miles and two shocks needs replacing and no other issues, plus you owe $13K. It could be a tough decision but I would move on. I wouldn't invest 5-8K in a vehicle that's almost 10 years old. I would have to upgrade to a newer LS because the GS just isn't for me. Keep us posted on your decision.
Old 09-07-15, 11:14 PM
RudyRC51
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Nothing lasts forever, at that mileage and given the mileage you drive I'd move on.

As for the GS, seeing that you do mostly freeway driving, are you sure? I loved my GS, but the plus of the GS isn't really realized on the highway, which is where the LS a really shines. The GS rewards on a backroad, the LS on the highway and if you do mostly highway driving...
Absolutely agree... LS is so smooth but I do my fair share of around the town/hills driving. If I am willing to sacrifice he LS, I would move toward a GS since it is the best balance of the sport/luxury in my opinion. Driving an LS makes you miss the nimble pick up of smaller cars but appreciate the smoothness and comfort. Another major reason is I want to purchase a home in the next two years and I want to keep my debt-to-income ratios low ... A 60k LS financed will take a larger bite out of my buying power vs. a 40k payment on a GS. (sorry, I'm in mortgage finance lol) When I bought the LS, I was 25 and didn't care about my monthly payment amount and had less respect for a dollar. Jumping to a GS, I expect to be increasing my monthly payment by at least $200.
Old 09-08-15, 05:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts
Default Thinking about giving up on my LS

I came from the GS to the LS and I don't miss the GS at all from a ride and drive perspective. Yeah it's more nimble and more "fun to drive" but the ride, quietness and the refinement of the LS makes up for that and then some to me.

IMHO I think ultimately you will be unhappy and will be back in an LS. Don't have to spend $60k...
Old 09-08-15, 09:13 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Another solution:

Front OEM air struts are $805:
http://jp-carparts.com/lexus/partlis...ype=9&fig=4803
And rears $775:
http://jp-carparts.com/lexus/partlis...ype=9&fig=4804

Which is better than paying full retail at the dealer.