LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Parking brake system maintenance code

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-15, 06:54 AM
ronsmoove
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parking brake system maintenance code

Hello. I am a do it yourself type of guy and yesterday I got a maintenance code on the dash of my 07 ls460 and it said to check parking brake system please take vehicle to dealer. Has anybody got this code before? if so, what should I check for? And how do you reset maintenance codes?
Old 09-13-15, 11:27 AM
Vito
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parking brake system saga

Oh my, do I have a story.
A few months ago my 07 -LS460 (80K miles) presented what sounds like, the same message. The car seemed to function normally except the "brake Hold" feature would not work. Power cycling the car cleared the message. This symptom would occur intermittently and randomly, every few weeks. As time went on, it happened more frequently and finally it was occurring every few days. BTW, there appeared to be nothing I could do to cause it to fail. The local Lexus dealer could find nothing wrong (3 days) although an error code was posted in the vehicle's system. They suggested I drive it to see if it re-occurs. A few days later it happened again and this time I took a picture of the panel, showing the error msg & odometer, then back to the dealer. After a number of days they replaced a "computer" board for $800.00, (It's always a computer board) although the tech admitted they did not definitively know if this was the problem. (Just kinda guessin). A few days later, the problem happened again. This time, in addition to another picture, I called the dealer and said I was on the way so the tech(s) could see the error. This provided no more add'l useful info but they kept the car. It was about this time the service manager told my service consultant they would comp. me the $800 since that obviously wasn't the problem, and eventually pay just to get finally repaired. I was also told, covertly, that one other part, the motor that activates the parking brake system, could be at fault but they were reluctant to replace it because it was so expensive and labor intensive. (I think about $1000.00)
I finally appealed to Lexus Customer Care and eventually to the dealer GM. They had my car for a total of 24 days and when that parking brake motor was replaced, all was well.

The good news is each time they had my car in the shop, I had a 2015 courtesy loaner and the even better news is the willingness for the dealer to comp. the whole thing. Find me a dealership that would even come close. Tesla maybe. LEXUS ROCKS.
Old 09-13-15, 01:28 PM
ronsmoove
Rookie

Originally Posted by Vito
Oh my, do I have a story.
A few months ago my 07 -LS460 (80K miles) presented what sounds like, the same message. The car seemed to function normally except the "brake Hold" feature would not work. Power cycling the car cleared the message. This symptom would occur intermittently and randomly, every few weeks. As time went on, it happened more frequently and finally it was occurring every few days. BTW, there appeared to be nothing I could do to cause it to fail. The local Lexus dealer could find nothing wrong (3 days) although an error code was posted in the vehicle's system. They suggested I drive it to see if it re-occurs. A few days later it happened again and this time I took a picture of the panel, showing the error msg & odometer, then back to the dealer. After a number of days they replaced a "computer" board for $800.00, (It's always a computer board) although the tech admitted they did not definitively know if this was the problem. (Just kinda guessin). A few days later, the problem happened again. This time, in addition to another picture, I called the dealer and said I was on the way so the tech(s) could see the error. This provided no more add'l useful info but they kept the car. It was about this time the service manager told my service consultant they would comp. me the $800 since that obviously wasn't the problem, and eventually pay just to get finally repaired. I was also told, covertly, that one other part, the motor that activates the parking brake system, could be at fault but they were reluctant to replace it because it was so expensive and labor intensive. (I think about $1000.00)
I finally appealed to Lexus Customer Care and eventually to the dealer GM. They had my car for a total of 24 days and when that parking brake motor was replaced, all was well.

The good news is each time they had my car in the shop, I had a 2015 courtesy loaner and the even better news is the willingness for the dealer to comp. the whole thing. Find me a dealership that would even come close. Tesla maybe. LEXUS ROCKS.
What do you mean by Power Cycling to clear the code?
Old 09-13-15, 02:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Turning the car on and off.
Old 09-13-15, 02:36 PM
ronsmoove
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Turning the car on and off.
Hmm. that doesnt work for me. I thought about just disconnecting and reconnecting the battery to clear it and to see if it comes back.
Old 09-13-15, 04:27 PM
Vito
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind even though the warning message goes away, the error code should remain and can be read out with the dealers diagnostic laptop. In my case the diagnostic msg. and subsequent flow charts used by the technician were not very thorough, according to the master tech. It eventual led to a recommendation to "...replace the computer board" (my terminology), which wasn't correct.