Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

2008 LS600hL New to the Forums Need lots of Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-15, 01:30 PM
bnc600hL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2008 LS600hL New to the Forums Need lots of Help

Hey everyone. New to the Club. Just purchased an 08 LS600hL. I'm sure there are already threads containing all the info I need so if someone would be willing to post the links I'd greatly appreciate it.
1. Sticky trunk button fix
2. Cleaning yellowed headlights
3. Rear passenger window go ups and then halfway back down using any auto up button
4. Rear passenger window screen does not come up at all
5. Front seats not getting cold but do get hot, very hot!
6. Adding iPod control/Bluetooth audio or replacement headset for Nav unit w/ Levinson sound
7. Anything to look for aside from the wind noise issue and control arms.
Old 09-14-15, 06:49 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Welcome and almost everything you asked about can be found in the sticky at the top of the forum.

here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...iy-thread.html
Old 09-14-15, 06:56 PM
Nospinzone

Received 427 Likes on 330 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus and good luck with your new car.

For info on the headlights do a search for restoration in the Automotive Care & Detailing forum.
Old 09-14-15, 08:29 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On the iPod control question look at this solution:

http://www.vaistech.com/site/mml.php

A while ago a member teased us by saying that he had paired a MML with the '10-'12 OEM USB/Aux cable running to the console. He hasn't been heard from since, and I haven't been able to find the part number for that cable or figure out if it can easily interface with the MML.
Old 09-14-15, 08:55 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

congrats on your new car. couple of minor things to figure out but I'm sure it's a fine automobile.
Old 09-17-15, 12:20 AM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

It wasn't me but I installed this in my '08 last year. Agreed the MML is a fine choice (this is my second VAISTECH unit; I have a SLi in my LS430).

The Toyota part number for the USB/Aux jack is 86190-0E030; but there are a couple on eBay that will fit (the big change is the orientation of the "USB/AUX" lettering.

I used a USB extension cable (one comes with the MML) to connect it to the unit but you have to cut the sides off the female part of the USB cord to get it to fit. I might have some pix on my phone I can check if anybody is interested.

The big PITA is that the 08-09 AUX plug has 8 leads (six are active) and then the '10+ has only 5 leads. If you don't care about the Aux jack you can just ignore them; but the crux of it is that two of them (the grounds) have to be merged together to get the 3.5mm jack to work properly as there are leads for the analog audio, the ground for the shield as well as the actual signal to the radio that you've plugged it in.

I can dig around for the documentation; I actually had to do some last minute experimentation in the car itself to make sure all the leads were wired in correctly.

Someone also makes a 3rd party USB/AUX connector but I preferred the OEM solution; also it doesn't handle the signaling to the radio that you've actually plugged something into the AUX jack.

Enjoy the ride!

Originally Posted by dal20402
On the iPod control question look at this solution:

http://www.vaistech.com/site/mml.php

A while ago a member teased us by saying that he had paired a MML with the '10-'12 OEM USB/Aux cable running to the console. He hasn't been heard from since, and I haven't been able to find the part number for that cable or figure out if it can easily interface with the MML.

Last edited by jainla; 09-17-15 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-17-15, 12:49 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jainla
I can dig around for the documentation; I actually had to do some last minute experimentation in the car itself to make sure all the leads were wired in correctly.
Much thanks!! Any further info you're able to provide about wiring/pins would be very useful.

Aux jack is important to me even with USB. Just to make sure I'm clear, once you had figured out which wires to connect together, does the '10+ aux jack still auto-detect when a source is connected, like the factory one on the '08?
Old 09-18-15, 11:06 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Here's the Tundra thread with most of the info:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...d-unit.103041/

You'll have to remove the side trim panels for the center console and the trim piece to get access to the front of the console box, then you can squeeze the sides of the connector and push into the console box. You'll also need to do this to gain access to the back of the CD player for the MML:

The new connector is an exact fit for the old one. The Tundra thread has people cutting it open; I preferred to cut down the 89 cent cable as opposed to the $100 connector.

I put the MML box between the transmission tunnel and the carpeting on the passenger's side; there is a place where the padding opens up so that the seat does not rub against it when it moves back and forth.

Much thanks!! Any further info you're able to provide about wiring/pins would be very useful.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/....103041/page-3

and then

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/....103041/page-4

I believe I had pins 3 and 5 from the 8 pin jack in the car merge into pin 3 on the 5 pin jack but you'll have to play around with it.

Aux jack is important to me even with USB. Just to make sure I'm clear, once you had figured out which wires to connect together, does the '10+ aux jack still auto-detect when a source is connected, like the factory one on the '08?
Yes; the jack functions normally; if I don't plug anything into it it will not show up as an option when I hit the Disc/Aux button. The experimentation with the leads was key to doing this.

Two pictures; first is the modified USB extender cable (I cut off the shielding and then cut the sides of the plug so they were flush with the insert); the plug, and the little pigtail leads I used to patch the pins from the car to the connector (I found these male/female leads at FRYs here in LA).

http://www.frys.com/product/6250850?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

They are individual and then I glue-gunned them together on the 5 pin side so they would stay together when I installed them. I soldered two of the male pins together so that I could merge the two grounds. Having them be individual as opposed to a connector like the thread makes it easy to swap them around.

if I really cared I might wrap them in shielding but the run is so small; and I haven't had any ground loop or other issues from the aux port (although I don't use it very much)

The cut down female USB, the back of the connector and the leads glued together.

Everything plugged together as they are when installed in the car. Note that the jack assembly has not been modified in any way.

Have fun, this was a nice little installation. I'm considering wiring in an SL3b for Bluetooth streaming; having 2 units wired up in series is supported.
Old 09-21-15, 08:28 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Fantastic post, jainla. Thanks again for all your help.

I promise that if/when I do this I will post a DIY!
Old 09-22-15, 01:12 AM
jainla
Intermediate

Fantastic post, jainla. Thanks again for all your help.

I promise that if/when I do this I will post a DIY!
Yeah I feel kind of dumb that I didn't take more photos or do a writeup; as it's a really nice clean way to add the MML. I like that I can leave my iPod classic in the center console box pretty much full time and have 120gb+ of music instantly available; it's the primary reason that I don't use the HDD function of the radio.

I think I was impatient as it took a month of research to figure out all the parts and connectors; but the installation itself was pretty simple all things considered. I also took a bunch of photos when i replaced the APCS camera cover that the PO f**cked up when replacing the windshield; that's another story for another day.

Have fun!