LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

14' ES 350 lease to 12' LS 460L, is it a good move?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-15, 09:19 AM
mha002
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS all day!
Old 09-23-15, 06:02 AM
docmarioce
Driver

Default New deal...?

What do you think of the 2011 version of the LS 460 specifically the sport version? Looking at a 2011 LS 460 Sport with 80K miles in very good shape? Would you trade it for a 2014 ES 350 (lease) with 6500 miles on it in "like new" condition (of course) considering that fuel economy is not an issue and payments will remain the same? I cannot afford the 2012 or 2013 models presently since I will have to pay more and cannot justify the extra cash. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited by docmarioce; 09-23-15 at 06:19 AM. Reason: add info.
Old 09-23-15, 07:58 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Personally, since you seem to very budget conscious, which is a great thing, I would just exercise patience, enjoy the new ES, save some money over the next few years and keep an eye out for a '12-'14.
From the sounds of it, you really want an LS.
Granted these cars can take the miles, and as long as they have been cared for, there are great representative models with higher miles.
However, an '11 with 80k miles...it just seems that if you have a little more patience, you'll be able to find a good deal and a much lower mileage car.
The new ES is a nice car!
My situation was similar, in that I really wanted an LS and was willing to settle for an older model with higher mileage (80k-90k range). But I waited a few months and came across a model that had been well cared for with 65k on the clock, and best of all, a great price.
Mine is much older (07), but the theory is the same.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 09-23-15, 11:37 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One think to keep in mind with the Sport is it has the air suspension, which gives you one more potential repair bill (new air shocks). Those wheels are pretty, though.

I agree with CRowe14 that I bet you can find a lower-mileage car you can afford.
Old 09-23-15, 12:28 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Aside from the fact that I personally would want out of the lease, you gotta do what you gotta do. I will put my $0.02 in, from the perspective of an engineer who was 100% responsible for the seat design (a few years back) for the Avalon, Solara and Camry.

I would NEVER buy the first year of ANY car. Even a Toyota. But that doesn't mean they are no good. But after the launch, problems are found. At some point the problems that have not already been worked out are gathered and a drop dead timing is set to release the changes to fix those problems. This drop dead date is fixed. It is never missed. If engineering changes are release on or before the drop dead date, the problems are either addressed timed exactly with the new vehicle, or implemented into the previous year just prior to the end of its production. Depends on what the change is. But this is done on every vehicle for all areas of the vehicle (not just seats).

What that does: Engineers are flying, breaking their necks to get it all covered by the drop dead date. And it happens, because there's no such thing as being late with Toyota, or go find another job. But they get it all done by the date. That day when they get off work, they all go out and get fit-shaced. Well ... not all of them.

What this means is: The 2nd model year vehicle is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS, better than the first model year. Sometimes the 2nd model year is the best of that generation period. Because after the engineers sober up, they begin doing cost reductions.

So if the 2013 was a facelift / minor model change, I would get a 2014.

7milesout
Old 09-23-15, 02:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Like I said in your thread in the ES forum, considering you're budget conscious, I would not make this trade. An LS with 80k miles is going to have maintenance and repair needs that are much greater than an ES with 6k miles. I think you should wait until the budget is a little less of a priority to make this move.

Originally Posted by 7milesout
There is no mechanical difference in a 2013 and a 2012. The powertrain is exactly the same. Really the changes were cosmetic. No reason to avoid a 2013.
Old 09-23-15, 02:57 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

As stated, I've had the ES as a loaner car. Great ride. LS is greater. You'll lose some of the current features with the 12 versus the 13, but as for superior performance and silence, nothing is better.
Old 09-23-15, 05:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts
Default 14' ES 350 lease to 12' LS 460L, is it a good move?

That's true, but is it worth exchanging 6k mile car for an 80k mile car when budget is a concern for no monthly savings?
Old 09-24-15, 06:28 AM
docmarioce
Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Like I said in your thread in the ES forum, considering you're budget conscious, I would not make this trade. An LS with 80k miles is going to have maintenance and repair needs that are much greater than an ES with 6k miles. I think you should wait until the budget is a little less of a priority to make this move.

There is no mechanical difference in a 2013 and a 2012. The powertrain is exactly the same. Really the changes were cosmetic. No reason to avoid a 2013.
Thanks. Most likely I will stay put where I am and get a 2013 when the time comes. I have seen reviews online and even when it looks similar to my 14' ES it looks stunning and well built. I can't wait for the time to pass...
Old 09-24-15, 06:29 AM
docmarioce
Driver

Originally Posted by 7milesout
Aside from the fact that I personally would want out of the lease, you gotta do what you gotta do. I will put my $0.02 in, from the perspective of an engineer who was 100% responsible for the seat design (a few years back) for the Avalon, Solara and Camry.

I would NEVER buy the first year of ANY car. Even a Toyota. But that doesn't mean they are no good. But after the launch, problems are found. At some point the problems that have not already been worked out are gathered and a drop dead timing is set to release the changes to fix those problems. This drop dead date is fixed. It is never missed. If engineering changes are release on or before the drop dead date, the problems are either addressed timed exactly with the new vehicle, or implemented into the previous year just prior to the end of its production. Depends on what the change is. But this is done on every vehicle for all areas of the vehicle (not just seats).

What that does: Engineers are flying, breaking their necks to get it all covered by the drop dead date. And it happens, because there's no such thing as being late with Toyota, or go find another job. But they get it all done by the date. That day when they get off work, they all go out and get fit-shaced. Well ... not all of them.

What this means is: The 2nd model year vehicle is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS, better than the first model year. Sometimes the 2nd model year is the best of that generation period. Because after the engineers sober up, they begin doing cost reductions.

7milesout
Great technical info. I am loving this forum...

Thanks,
Old 09-24-15, 06:31 AM
docmarioce
Driver

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Personally, since you seem to very budget conscious, which is a great thing, I would just exercise patience, enjoy the new ES, save some money over the next few years and keep an eye out for a '12-'14.
From the sounds of it, you really want an LS.
Granted these cars can take the miles, and as long as they have been cared for, there are great representative models with higher miles.
However, an '11 with 80k miles...it just seems that if you have a little more patience, you'll be able to find a good deal and a much lower mileage car.
The new ES is a nice car!
My situation was similar, in that I really wanted an LS and was willing to settle for an older model with higher mileage (80k-90k range). But I waited a few months and came across a model that had been well cared for with 65k on the clock, and best of all, a great price.
Mine is much older (07), but the theory is the same.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Thanks. I'll think I'll just wait for now and will pick up a used CPO 2013 LS when the time comes.