LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Horn not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-20, 01:22 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjam1n
Nice. Mine works only when I hit the panic button on the key fob.

This video may be useful:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=862izi6XChI
That was a nice DIY video. Thanks!!!
Old 09-16-20, 11:50 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 448 Likes on 322 Posts
Default Got horn to work!

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
Join the club. I gave up. Next year when it's time for inspection, I'll take it to the dealership.
Don't give up yet! I was all set to install a new clock spring today when I realized that in my box of many parts I'd ordered, that I did not actually order a new clock spring (although I had researched it). Decided to go ahead and remove the pad and steering wheel anyway so I could physically view the clock spring and photo it for my records. I did not remove the clock spring, but I did disconnect all of the wire plugs and made sure each was seated firmly when I reconnected them. I did the same for the plugs in the steering pad and even "massaged" some of the wires on it. Bolted everything back up and now the horn works again!

Prior to this, all controls on the steering wheel and column worked perfectly except for the horn (did not work at all, even with trying different angles, positions, etc.). You know how it is sometimes.....take something apart, put it back together, and voila, it works! I road tested it too to make sure it worked with the wheel turned all of the way to the left then right and many points in between. Hopefully, it will keep working. Here are some pics of the clock spring and the 4 wire plugs I disconnected then reconnected. BTW, the Torx screws for the steering pad are T30, and I had to back them out all the way; however, they were not removed as I believe they're captured.

Last edited by lwphat66; 09-16-20 at 11:59 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 09-16-20, 01:19 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Good job. Mine is working for now but, I too need to look for a loose wire there also. Thanks Man. BTW, did you disconnect the battery?
Old 09-17-20, 11:23 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Good job. Mine is working for now but, I too need to look for a loose wire there also. Thanks Man. BTW, did you disconnect the battery?
Yes, disconnecting it was the first thing I did and then reconnected it last. It's a pretty simple job, took me about 35-40 minutes total start to finish. The most difficult (but not much really) was pulling the steering wheel off, just had to use a good amount of controlled force pulling and wiggling it, alternating left and right sides of it. The steering wheel nut is 19mm. The bottom plastic cover around the clock spring requires a little manipulation and twisting to get it over the steering wheel adjustment lever in order to completely remove the cover.

Old 09-26-20, 03:06 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Originally Posted by lwphat66
Yes, disconnecting it was the first thing I did and then reconnected it last. It's a pretty simple job, took me about 35-40 minutes total start to finish. The most difficult (but not much really) was pulling the steering wheel off, just had to use a good amount of controlled force pulling and wiggling it, alternating left and right sides of it. The steering wheel nut is 19mm. The bottom plastic cover around the clock spring requires a little manipulation and twisting to get it over the steering wheel adjustment lever in order to completely remove the cover.
I noticed that mine works all the time if it's raining or cold outside. Hmmmm.
Old 09-26-20, 04:40 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

I have just the opposite problem with some of my employees.
Anyway, glad to report my horn is still working consistently (regardless of the weather). Strange, I wouldn't think temps would vary enough to affect electricals here to expand/constrict enough to make a difference, but you never know. Has it stopped working at all recently?
Old 09-26-20, 08:09 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Originally Posted by lwphat66
I have just the opposite problem with some of my employees.
Anyway, glad to report my horn is still working consistently (regardless of the weather). Strange, I wouldn't think temps would vary enough to affect electricals here to expand/constrict enough to make a difference, but you never know. Has it stopped working at all recently?
It's been raining all week here in Greensboro NC. The horn has been working all week. Today and tomorrow will be dry. I'll let you know if it stops again.
Old 10-15-20, 09:25 PM
88JC
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI, guys
I just found out my 08 Ls460 has this problem this week, No horn sound at all but alarm sound ok.
I found this video on youtube
in this video (2:30) the guy just clean the cable and it works.
have you guys try this method?
I think I like to try this method but not sure how to open the steering wheel?
can anyone explain to me? I am not a car repair guy but I am willing to try it.
thanks!
Old 10-15-20, 10:01 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Originally Posted by 88JC
HI, guys
I just found out my 08 Ls460 has this problem this week, No horn sound at all but alarm sound ok.
I found this video on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2nk...ist=WL&index=2
in this video (2:30) the guy just clean the cable and it works.
have you guys try this method?
I think I like to try this method but not sure how to open the steering wheel?
can anyone explain to me? I am not a car repair guy but I am willing to try it.
thanks!
Read post #45 -46 and watch the video.
Old 11-20-20, 03:58 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Update: My horn has been working all day everyday since the outside temps have been cooler. So it's the heat that causes the horn failure. Why? I just don't don't know.
Old 11-20-20, 09:15 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Update: My horn has been working all day everyday since the outside temps have been cooler. So it's the heat that causes the horn failure. Why? I just don't don't know.
Electrical parts (e.g. wires, contacts) contract and expand as temperatures change.

For example, the keyless entry in the first LS I purchased over 30 years ago stopped working when outside temperatures fell below freezing. After I sold the car to a friend, he determined that a Lexus dealership technician had failed to fully seat an electrical component into its slot when replacing it under warranty. What really chapped my *** was that the Lexus dealer had been unable to fix the problem while I went through several winters without keyless entry.
Old 01-04-21, 02:54 PM
derreckla
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for your post. My horn of my 08 isn't working so i after your reading your post thought I would get crazy and open'r up. I was scared to mess with the tabs for the air bags, how do you disconnect these on the back?

I checked all the connections and even tried to "ground out" on the screw to see if the horn worked like someone's video they posted here and nothing. My horn works with the Panic button Fob.

Does anyone have any other ideas how I can use multi-meter to test wiring cables etc? Thanks...
Old 01-04-21, 03:31 PM
derreckla
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for the posts. After watching other videos on how to test clock springs etc from other cars I had a question. On another car video I watched, someone tested the wires at the bottom of the steering column under the dash after they go through the clock spring to test if the clock spring is bad. I am sure there is a way I can use multi-meter to test continuity from horn to this cluster if it's accessible. Does anyone know how to do this? or what "Pin" is responsible on what connector?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-04-21, 03:34 PM
derreckla
Intermediate

Just ebay'd clock spring and found out the part is only $8? Has anyone bought one of these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spiral-Cabl...MAAOSwVw9eokDF

Maybe I will just order and replace

Thanks
Old 01-04-21, 04:58 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Originally Posted by derreckla
Just ebay'd clock spring and found out the part is only $8? Has anyone bought one of these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spiral-Cabl...MAAOSwVw9eokDF

Maybe I will just order and replace

Thanks
Originally Posted by derreckla
Thanks for your post. My horn of my 08 isn't working so i after your reading your post thought I would get crazy and open'r up. I was scared to mess with the tabs for the air bags, how do you disconnect these on the back?

I checked all the connections and even tried to "ground out" on the screw to see if the horn worked like someone's video they posted here and nothing. My horn works with the Panic button Fob.

Does anyone have any other ideas how I can use multi-meter to test wiring cables etc? Thanks...
For the airbag plugs, place a small screwdriver under the yellow tab then pull gently, straight up to unlock them. You'll want all of the plugs/wires disconnected so you can move the steering wheel out of the way. What I did is disconnect then reconnect every plug possible to ensure a good connection. I also did the same for everything on the underside of the steering wheel. I believe that it may have been something loose on the underside of the wheel but have know way of knowing for certain which wires are for the horn. I was just verifying the clock spring and all of it's connectors so I could make sure I ordered the correct one. If not, you may lose function of some buttons/controls that are attached to the wheel.

And don't forget to disconnect the battery first. All buttons/controls had been working for my steering wheel except for the horn (they did work for the alarm). If it's only your horn that's not working, I don't believe it's the ribbon in the clock spring (but it's a possibility). Again, just try disconnecting and reconnecting everything, and you may get lucky like I did. Good luck with it brother!

Quick Reply: Horn not working