LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Horn not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-21, 05:01 PM
derreckla
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

appreciate it
Old 01-04-21, 05:04 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 448 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by derreckla
Just ebay'd clock spring and found out the part is only $8? Has anyone bought one of these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spiral-Cabl...MAAOSwVw9eokDF

Maybe I will just order and replace

Thanks
If they send you the one that's in the photos, it's not going to work, as it's missing many of the plugs that ours has. If you do replace the clock spring, I would avoid any very cheap ones, and perhaps ebay altogether unless someone here recommends a buyer they've gotten theirs from, that operates completely and properly with no issues.

Old 01-04-21, 05:04 PM
derreckla
Intermediate

ya, I actually looked and bouight an OEM one for $50
Old 01-04-21, 05:55 PM
derreckla
Intermediate

If I am going to take it apart for $50 might as well replace the part so at least I know it's not that or won't fail in future. I would pay someone else what $100 an hour to diagnose or figure it out...
Old 01-25-21, 10:09 AM
derreckla
Intermediate

well sir, it worked!! after taking it apart inspecting it and deciding I couldn't find anything wrong I put it back together..went to honk it thinking nothing would happen and it it TOOTED!!

WWWWOOOOOO just putting it back together got it working again...
Old 01-25-21, 10:14 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Originally Posted by derreckla
well sir, it worked!! after taking it apart inspecting it and deciding I couldn't find anything wrong I put it back together..went to honk it thinking nothing would happen and it it TOOTED!!

WWWWOOOOOO just putting it back together got it working again...
Awesome to hear brother! Did you end up installing a new clock spring?
Old 06-01-21, 12:54 AM
falconx
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Same problem

Hi, I’m joining the thread as I am having the same issue. Sometimes the horn works sometimes not. It’s a Lexus LS 600hl 2010.
To what I read the issue is likely linked to a cable inside the steering wheel ? Or at least a connector ? Should I purchase a steering wheel removal tool and try to do it myself ?
Old 06-01-21, 03:22 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Originally Posted by falconx
Hi, I’m joining the thread as I am having the same issue. Sometimes the horn works sometimes not. It’s a Lexus LS 600hl 2010.
To what I read the issue is likely linked to a cable inside the steering wheel ? Or at least a connector ? Should I purchase a steering wheel removal tool and try to do it myself ?
Not sure about your model, but on my '07 LS460 no special "removal tool" was necessary, as the steering wheel nut was removed using a 19mm socket. Reading from post# 45 and down and watching the videos linked within could provide useful info on the procedure. Good luck!
Old 06-01-21, 03:43 AM
falconx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lwphat66
Not sure about your model, but on my '07 LS460 no special "removal tool" was necessary, as the steering wheel nut was removed using a 19mm socket. Reading from post# 45 and down and watching the videos linked within could provide useful info on the procedure. Good luck!
It should be the same steering wheel, also was removing the front honk moving part difficult to do ? I think there is 2 plates to unclip on the right and left hand side which will allow then to unclip that front honk part but for now I haven’t tried.
Old 06-01-21, 03:58 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Originally Posted by falconx
It should be the same steering wheel, also was removing the front honk moving part difficult to do ? I think there is 2 plates to unclip on the right and left hand side which will allow then to unclip that front honk part but for now I haven’t tried.
Nothing was difficult in removing the honk/airbag pad from the steering wheel. I don't recall if the bolt heads are hex or Torx, but once the plastic covers are removed from the left and right sides, it's easy to see what is necessary.
Old 06-03-21, 05:29 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by lwphat66
Nothing was difficult in removing the honk/airbag pad from the steering wheel. I don't recall if the bolt heads are hex or Torx, but once the plastic covers are removed from the left and right sides, it's easy to see what is necessary.
Torx - T30

The following users liked this post:
falconx (06-04-21)
Old 07-19-21, 10:52 AM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This is a great thread. I have a 2008 LS 460 and I would rather have my CC swiped then learn how to do all of this. I was trying to find info on how to see if the fuse has been damaged or not. No pics!
Old 08-24-21, 10:57 AM
falconx
Driver School Candidate

Okay I fixed the horn this evening (at least it worked again after closing everything…)
- unplugged the battery
- removed the left (volume control) cap and the right (cruse control) cap, the right cap can be removed like on the picture. Just pass a plastic or screwdriver to unclip the hook. This is done from the front (the left volume control cap has been successfully removed by passing the screwdriver from the back)

- Then I unplugged the connectors which I thought to be relevant with the hook… added some special electric wires cleaner magic lotion, massaged the wires and put everything back…
- The horn is now working…

I cannot say for sure if the problem came from the wires or the plugs because when I unplugged the blue plug which is fastened on the front moving tooting part, I cleaned it and put it back but: the horn was not working at that time. I therefore unplugged all the connectors which were on the path from this blue plug down to the steering wheel and as I said, massaged the wires, perhaps the problem cam from them…

Old 10-22-21, 02:40 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 146 Posts

Using that video 88JC linked fixed the problem for my LS. It didn't make sense because the contacts looked clean and so did the screw but I went ahead and used 1000 grit sandpaper to clean the ring terminal and the washer on the screw and viola` it now works.

Old 10-31-21, 12:38 PM
Parrokeete
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilDWebb
About the horn.
I bought the techstream cable and software from eBay.
While hooked up your can monitor the cars buttons in the dash steering wheel etc.
May the time I could not get any results from a physical home press in the steering wheel.
But after disconnecting it started working again then off again,.. then on again.
Not sure what the correlation is at this point. Could be that the horn switch is intermittent but I would have imagined more randomness where it’s not working for long periods and then not working for long periods.
Sorry I don’t have more good data.
My horn does the same thing. The Toyota dealer wanted to charge $3600 for a new horn sir bag snd a clock spring. I found a clock spring on EBay but my mechanic shop said when they installed the clock spring it caused a lot of warning lights to come on and they replaced the original one. Horn still blows intermittently,

Quick Reply: Horn not working