LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 Power Steering System

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-15, 08:41 AM
klee92
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 460 Power Steering System

I'm new to luxury cars. Before owning a Lexus I had a honda accord where DIY was simply ie. Oil change, brake job, refilling fluids, spark plugs.
I went to the golf course the other day and after playing when I started my engine a check power steering system came on. My steering wheel was heavy to turn. Lucky the golf course was close to my house so I drove slowly home. But here the question do I just refill power steering fluids or is there more to it. I've done some research online and not comprehending what or how exactly power steering works on these cars. My car is a 2008 Lexus LS 460L.
I called my local Lexus dealer and all they can tell me is bring in my car. I don't want to be $3k to $4k out if it something I can fix. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by klee92; 09-28-15 at 08:44 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 09-28-15, 12:20 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by klee92
I'm new to luxury cars. Before owning a Lexus I had a honda accord where DIY was simply ie. Oil change, brake job, refilling fluids, spark plugs.
I went to the golf course the other day and after playing when I started my engine a check power steering system came on. My steering wheel was heavy to turn. Lucky the golf course was close to my house so I drove slowly home. But here the question do I just refill power steering fluids or is there more to it. I've done some research online and not comprehending what or how exactly power steering works on these cars. My car is a 2008 Lexus LS 460L.
I called my local Lexus dealer and all they can tell me is bring in my car. I don't want to be $3k to $4k out if it something I can fix. Thanks in advance.
There isn't any power steering fluid on the LS, as the system is electronic.
Unless someone can correct me, you'll probably have to allow for Lexus to take a look at it and diagnose the issue.
Unfortunately, unless its a loose wire, I don't think it will be a cheap fix, though for your sake, I hope it is.
Good luck and please keep us posted.
Old 09-28-15, 12:22 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I believe there was a recall on the power steering unit up until 2011. I would find if your car was addressed in the recall by checking the service history that you can find out here.

Edit: it looks like it was for the VGRS equipped steering which only effected 2009 and 2010 cars.

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

Set up an account and then enter your VIN number.

The PS unit is an Electric Power Steering unit and not a hydraulic Power Steering found in older cars. It's supposedly more reliable without the use of fluids but the initial ones may have had a few teething issues that have been rectified.
If the motor has failed then it might require a replacement. Depending on the accessibility it might not be a hard install and you can save a lot of money by buying a good low millage used one from salvage rather then the dealer.

Last edited by Devh; 09-28-15 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-28-15, 01:06 PM
Nospinzone

Received 427 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by klee92
Welcome to Club Lexus klee!

One thing you will find as you read threads on this site is that many owners take their LS to a Toyota dealer, particularly for routine items. Others find a competent independent mechanic. In either case the savings can be significant.

I don't ever recall reading of this problem here, so you may have to take it to a Lexus dealer at least for diagnosis.

Please keep us updated.
Old 09-28-15, 03:26 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Welcome to Club Lexus klee!

I don't ever recall reading of this problem here, so you may have to take it to a Lexus dealer at least for diagnosis.

Please keep us updated.
I carry my LS to the Toyota dealership for routine maintenance (cost a lot less than at Lexus) but anything major (ex. trunk closing problem) they advise me to go to Lexus.
Old 09-28-15, 04:53 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Unfortunately the steering system is electric and to fix it can be costly. The problem could be the yawl sensor, steering angle sensor or electric rack...all three are expensive, but the rack would seem to be the most. I imagine all three would have to be calibrated by Lexus or a Toyota dealer. I have seen racks on eBay for $700 (used of course).

I haven't really heard of any steering problems with these cars, so depending on what yours is, you'll be the first, unfortunately.
Old 09-29-15, 11:30 AM
klee92
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Doublebase;9198001]Unfortunately the steering system is electric and to fix it can be costly. The problem could be the yawl sensor, steering angle sensor or electric rack...all three are expensive, but the rack would seem to be the most. I imagine all three would have to be calibrated by Lexus or a Toyota dealer. I have seen racks on eBay for $700 (used of course).

I haven't really heard of any steering problems with these cars, so depending on what yours is, you'll be the first, unfortunately.[/QUOTE

Just got off phone with my Lexus dealer and they are telling me it the power steering converter which they quoted me around $900 that's part and labor. I researched this part to be no more than $360 and used around $200. I haven't given them an answer yet but feeling ripped off at the moment. Thinking about taking it to a friend who I'm confident can find and replace this part. It looks like a simple plug and go piece.
Old 09-29-15, 03:24 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

[QUOTE=klee92;9198879]
Originally Posted by Doublebase
Unfortunately the steering system is electric and to fix it can be costly. The problem could be the yawl sensor, steering angle sensor or electric rack...all three are expensive, but the rack would seem to be the most. I imagine all three would have to be calibrated by Lexus or a Toyota dealer. I have seen racks on eBay for $700 (used of course).

I haven't really heard of any steering problems with these cars, so depending on what yours is, you'll be the first, unfortunately.[/QUOTE

Just got off phone with my Lexus dealer and they are telling me it the power steering converter which they quoted me around $900 that's part and labor. I researched this part to be no more than $360 and used around $200. I haven't given them an answer yet but feeling ripped off at the moment. Thinking about taking it to a friend who I'm confident can find and replace this part. It looks like a simple plug and go piece.
It makes me laugh when I hear about the quotes coming from Lexus dealers right now, take it to your friend and save yourself $700 bucks.