LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-15, 03:00 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
Like I said I'm just guessing. My other car like most cars that used the parking brake cable to engage the caliper using a cam is very different then the hybrid drum brake system we have on our cars.
The way I reset is to undo a bolt which lets go of the tension of the parking brake cables. Then I would pump the parking brake handle and it would act like a ratchet until it got tight again evening out both cables so one side doesn't stick.

Whats puzzling to me is that the parking drum brake is independent and should not need to be re calibrated until those shoes are replaced. So it's still a bit puzzling that after a brake job the system may need to be re calibrated unless removing the caliper during the brake install has somehow pulled the cable throwing off the calibration.
Understood it was a guess, but I can see how your line of thinking may be along the same plane of rational regarding this situation.
Further, I do agree and also find it strange that the drum element needs re calibration because when performing my brake job, (pads/rotors), the drum system was never touched, BUT, in my case, I did bang on the disc to break it loose from rust adhesion.
I also wonder if I would have incurred a warning light if I had never had the adjustment done., as well as wonder about the verbage used here, both from Lexus shops.
Is an "adjustment" the same as a re calibration?
Old 10-08-15, 04:02 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Understood it was a guess, but I can see how your line of thinking may be along the same plane of rational regarding this situation.
Further, I do agree and also find it strange that the drum element needs re calibration because when performing my brake job, (pads/rotors), the drum system was never touched, BUT, in my case, I did bang on the disc to break it loose from rust adhesion.
I also wonder if I would have incurred a warning light if I had never had the adjustment done., as well as wonder about the verbage used here, both from Lexus shops.
Is an "adjustment" the same as a re calibration?
I imagine that there is a motor that activates the drums not only for parking but also for the hold feature. There might be some sort of calibration to balance both sides and there must be something there to detect that it needs to be calibrated. It's kind of weird that if it's a function it should just auto calibrate. I'm thinking based on your comments that it is part mechanical and there is some bolt that needs to be loosened as part of the procedure.
It's just too bad that we don't have easy access for the DIY. Our Alignments are not that easy either but the good news is there is a lot more adjustable which is what you want as the car gets older.

It might be a good idea to investigate by researching the service books.

Last edited by Devh; 10-08-15 at 04:06 PM.