LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-15, 12:18 PM
hushjohn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake

After doing a Total Brake job on My 08 LS 460 plus Rotors. I got a warning message that my Parking Brake was inaccessible and to see the Dealer . I went back and changed all the Parking Brake Hardware to solve the Problem and I am still getting the same Warming Message. Anyone with any Ideals to solve this ???

Last edited by Nospinzone; 09-29-15 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-29-15, 12:47 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Im sure a good few member will chime in after a while.
Just please, try to be patient, as I know your situation must be frustrating.

I don't know if this is a helpful question, but I do believe what im about to ask is linked to doing the brake job in completion without having any cautionary/warning lights afterwards.

Did you assure that the electronic eBrake was off before you did the brake job?

If not, I believe - if I recall correctly, it can trigger something within the eBrake system and it may need a dealership diagnosis.
Old 09-29-15, 12:48 PM
jmcraney

Received 270 Likes on 205 Posts

The warning may be the result of a low State Of Charge report from the cars battery monitoring system. The parking brake on these cars is operated by an electric motor and when the car's system senses that the battery doesn't have sufficient reserve to operate the parking brake reliably the warning is presented, and I believe the transmission shifter cannot be moved out of park.

You can determine the Battery's SOC by measuring the voltage across the terminals and using a lookup table.

The SOC can be low because the battery needs to be charged, or the battery could have a defective cell, or because the battery has reached the end of its life.
Old 09-29-15, 01:03 PM
hushjohn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Bro, I guess it's to the Dealership for Me.... Lol
Old 09-29-15, 01:09 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hushjohn
Thanks Bro, I guess it's to the Dealership for Me.... Lol
It was just a guess on my end, and it also could very well be what jmcraney stated, regarding the battery.
I don't think it'll be anything to absorbent, but either way, I hope its a pretty easy issue to remedy.
Please do keep us all updated as to what you find out.
Good luck!
Old 10-01-15, 07:35 AM
ronsmoove
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

any updates? did you go to see the dealer? what did they say because im having the same problem with my parking brake system light on my dashboard.
Old 10-02-15, 09:02 AM
hushjohn
Driver School Candidate

Default Park Break warning

Sorry , I haven't been to the Dealership yet. But I am on Saturday my One Day off for the next two weeks. I will let you know what they come back with ASAP. Thanks Guys
Old 10-06-15, 02:14 PM
hushjohn
Driver School Candidate

Default Park Break Warning

Ok, guys I got called into work on Saturday but I did drop off my Car today. I will have answers tomorrow. Thanks for your patients.
Old 10-06-15, 03:00 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Hope its something relatively easy to fix.
If not diy or by them, then a dependable, trusted indy.
Old 10-07-15, 12:17 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Looks like my suggestion back on the other thread was followed after all. I only posted that cause it sounded funny after your post, and I was pulling your leg. Plus I had no reasonable idea what your issue was. I'm doubting it's a battery. I never activate the P brake one way or the other unless the engine is cranked.

I hope the dealer comes through. It sounds like one of those issues that once a person figures out, they're like "duhhhhh." But when a dealer figures it out, they're like "cha-ching!"

I hope they figure it out for you, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Let us know what they find out so maybe a few of us fellow owners can either avoid the problem, or know the solution when it happens.

7milesout
Old 10-08-15, 09:47 AM
hushjohn
Driver School Candidate

Well Guys, looks like it was a Factory reset job. I took it in and they put it on the Computer and reset the E Break. Now it works after an Over inflated Bill. Lol but what can we do , it's Lexus got to love them.
Old 10-08-15, 11:23 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hushjohn
Well Guys, looks like it was a Factory reset job. I took it in and they put it on the Computer and reset the E Break. Now it works after an Over inflated Bill. Lol but what can we do , it's Lexus got to love them.
Wait what??
Did they not provide any further and/or any in depth reason as to why this would occur?
What exactly needed to be "reset"? I wasn't aware that the ebrake could become uncalibrated.
Would you mind providing further details, or did they provide you any?
Old 10-08-15, 11:42 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Wait what??
Did they not provide any further and/or any in depth reason as to why this would occur?
What exactly needed to be "reset"? I wasn't aware that the ebrake could become uncalibrated.
Would you mind providing further details, or did they provide you any?
I'm just guessing.
My other Toyota dose not have any kind of electronic parking brake however the parking brake cables need to be reset if one side of the cable is drawn in more then the other during the life of the rear pads where one side wears more then the other. I believe our LS460 use a hybrid drum brake for the parking brake mechanism and it's possible that the mechanical side of it might be a motor that pulls on a set of cables that also need to be re calibrated if they are uneven after a brake job.
This is probably why some never needed to have it reset where as this poster needed it.
Old 10-08-15, 12:23 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Devh
I'm just guessing.
My other Toyota dose not have any kind of electronic parking brake however the parking brake cables need to be reset if one side of the cable is drawn in more then the other during the life of the rear pads where one side wears more then the other. I believe our LS460 use a hybrid drum brake for the parking brake mechanism and it's possible that the mechanical side of it might be a motor that pulls on a set of cables that also need to be re calibrated if they are uneven after a brake job.
This is probably why some never needed to have it reset where as this poster needed it.
Ahh...
Thanks for that Devh.
I believe you are on to something/pretty on point.
After I completed my brake job, I didn't get any warning lights on my dash, but did notice that when the ebrake was engaged (AUTO), and when I placed the car in P, I would hear a faint "pop" noise. I took it to Lexus to have this rectified, and had them pull in an 08 and 07 and go from D to P and listen for the noise, as they insisted that the noise was normal (I adamantly disagreed-which is why I insisted they bring in other LS models as close to mine as possible). They montioned nothing of having to do any pc diagnostics regarding the brake system, however they did say that the ebrake system/drum system you spoke of, needed to be slightly "adjusted", as it was off a bit, but everything else was fine.
For me it was a nominal fee of $35, and at the time, I felt it unnecessary.
I guess given my situation and the OP's situation, I was a bit thrown off because I never got a warning light on my dash, and though my ebrake needed to be adjusted, I wasn't aware that in order to diagnose this, it needed to plugged into a brake diag application.
Since then, now having a bit of a better understanding of the system as well as knowing dealerships need to make money per time spent with a car on a lift, I get it.
Old 10-08-15, 01:14 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Ahh...
Thanks for that Devh.
I believe you are on to something/pretty on point.
After I completed my brake job, I didn't get any warning lights on my dash, but did notice that when the ebrake was engaged (AUTO), and when I placed the car in P, I would hear a faint "pop" noise. I took it to Lexus to have this rectified, and had them pull in an 08 and 07 and go from D to P and listen for the noise, as they insisted that the noise was normal (I adamantly disagreed-which is why I insisted they bring in other LS models as close to mine as possible). They montioned nothing of having to do any pc diagnostics regarding the brake system, however they did say that the ebrake system/drum system you spoke of, needed to be slightly "adjusted", as it was off a bit, but everything else was fine.
For me it was a nominal fee of $35, and at the time, I felt it unnecessary.
I guess given my situation and the OP's situation, I was a bit thrown off because I never got a warning light on my dash, and though my ebrake needed to be adjusted, I wasn't aware that in order to diagnose this, it needed to plugged into a brake diag application.
Since then, now having a bit of a better understanding of the system as well as knowing dealerships need to make money per time spent with a car on a lift, I get it.
Like I said I'm just guessing. My other car like most cars that used the parking brake cable to engage the caliper using a cam is very different then the hybrid drum brake system we have on our cars.
The way I reset is to undo a bolt which lets go of the tension of the parking brake cables. Then I would pump the parking brake handle and it would act like a ratchet until it got tight again evening out both cables so one side doesn't stick.

Whats puzzling to me is that the parking drum brake is independent and should not need to be re calibrated until those shoes are replaced. So it's still a bit puzzling that after a brake job the system may need to be re calibrated unless removing the caliper during the brake install has somehow pulled the cable throwing off the calibration.

Quick Reply: Parking Brake