LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Determining which "packages" an LS has

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-15, 08:18 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Exclamation Determining which "packages" an LS has

Hello,

Since I'm shopping for a 2013 LS460, I'm having a bit of a tough time determining which packages used cars have. The dealers are typically clueless.

Can the packages be determined from the VIN, or by looking at pictures alone?

Obviously the SWB and LWB models are simple to identify, but how does one know if a car has the various other options/packages?

Attached is a list of the packages (from Consumer Reports... sorry) which I would try to identify.

Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Determining which "packages" an LS has-ls_packages.jpg  
Old 10-02-15, 08:55 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Lexus dealers should be able to come up with a build sheet for the car, showing the original packages/options and pricing, The VIN has some information about the car, including some features that certain packages have (IIRC airbag configuration for example), but not specific packages.

I'm not sure what information non-Lexus dealers have access to, if the car doesn't have the original window sticker. Photographs can help you to identify most options. I've found that salespeople are willing to take extra pictures of the vehicle on request.

Become familiar with what the packages/options look like so you will know what to look for in the dealer photographs.
Old 10-02-15, 09:24 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Become familiar with what the packages/options look like so you will know what to look for in the dealer photographs.
This.

Looking at a few pics will tell you a lot. For example, the center console will tell you if it has air suspension (button with the settings "sport", "comfort" etc). Another is the steering wheel buttons - the bottom right hand side of the airbag area, will tell you if it has radar cruise. The stereo will say "Mark Levinson" if it has it. The rear center console will divulge what array of buttons it has for seating adjustments, stereo etc. There's also a rather obvious assembly on top of the steering column that will tell you if it has driver recognition to monitor if you're falling asleep at the wheel. Another that comes to mind is a button on the inside of the trunk lid that will tell you if it has self-closing trunk.
Old 10-02-15, 09:36 AM
NTB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread was extremely helpful when I was looking for my LS460.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-and-vids.html
Old 10-02-15, 09:36 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

I would suggest you go on line or to a Lexus dealer and get a brochure. You will have a general ideal of what each package offer. Many packages are standard on the LWB and not the SWB. The 600hL have most of them. Lexus offers the Sport, Ultra luxury, Executive, All weather, and Pre-collision packages, plus other options which can make things confusing. You must know what to look for and more options means more packages.
Old 10-02-15, 09:42 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are the "tells" for 2013+ cars, which are rather different from the 2007-2009 cars covered in the wonderful thread linked above:

Cold weather package (standard on LWB, present on most SWB)
  • Retractable headlight washers immediately below headlights

Comfort Package (standard on LWB, present on almost all SWB)
  • Cooled front seats -- seat heat switches in console have blue in the ring around the edge
  • Sunshade -- sunshade button in console

Semi-aniline leather upgrade
  • There are two tells here, and it's rare that either of them is clearly visible in a picture.
  • Alcantara headliner
  • Wood trim on rear-seat vents at back of console

Ultra Luxury Package (rare on both SWB and LWB)
  • If you can see the rear armrest, it will have power seat (SWB) or power seat and climate control (LWB) buttons on it.
  • "SET/C/M" buttons next to inside rear door handles
  • Look for "gaps" in bottom rear seat cushion, where the outboard seats can move forward or back.
  • Also look for "four buttons" at back of console, including rear-seat return button on right. LWB will have "four buttons" even without the Ultra Luxury package, but the rear-seat return button won't be there. "Four buttons" on SWB means Ultra Luxury is there.

Executive Package (LWB only, very rare)
  • Fixed console with lots of buttons replaces rear middle seat position

F Sport (SWB only)
  • Special wheels, badges, and body kit
  • All-leather steering wheel

Mark Levinson
  • Mark Levinson logos below source buttons on stereo and on kick-panel speakers
  • Separate tweeters in rear doors (above main speakers)

Air Suspension
  • Look at the mode selector in the console. Air cars will have three buttons (Snow, Height High, T/C off) and "Comf/Eco" and "Sport/S/S+" text. Non-air cars will have two buttons (Snow, T/C off) and "Eco" and "Sport" text.

DRCC with LKA and object recogition (LWB only)
  • Two buttons (radar cruise and LKA) on right side of steering wheel, below phone buttons (in same position as Hold button on left side)

DRCC without LKA or object recognition (available on both SWB and LWB)
  • Single radar cruise button on right side of steering wheel, below phone buttons

Last edited by dal20402; 10-02-15 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Thanks to Tec80 for a correction. Found another one myself.
Old 10-02-15, 10:25 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Cold weather package adds headlamp washers. On pre-2013, semi-aniline adds stitched leather door armrests.
Old 10-02-15, 12:11 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks so much for chiming in.

Now I have a much better idea of what I'm looking at.

It seems there isn't as much information about the 2013+ LS460 models on the forums, but that makes sense.

I'm looking for a high mileage one, so the types of dealers that carry high mileage cars often don't know much about them. We, enthusiasts, can often derive much more information.
Old 10-04-15, 07:19 AM
davedudu
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm looking at a 2013 LS460 from a private party and had this same question. The original selling dealership would not provide the option information on the car. I simply called Lexus.com, and they provided all the option information as well as the MSRP.
Old 07-13-24, 02:58 AM
NIKKORMAT
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear console

The following users liked this post:
Piney1 (07-15-24)
Old 07-13-24, 06:28 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 465 Likes on 347 Posts

NIKKORMAT

Yes that is the rear consul from a L model with the LR option (rear seat upgrade). I have that on my 2010 LS460L.

Dennis
Old 07-16-24, 09:43 AM
lili43
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If there is wood trim on the rear air vents, that guarantees LS has SA leather upgrade? Or could you get that another way?

I can not tell what Alcantara headliner difference.
Old 07-16-24, 12:37 PM
JRA2000TL
Intermediate

Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by lili43
If there is wood trim on the rear air vents, that guarantees LS has SA leather upgrade? Or could you get that another way?

I can not tell what Alcantara headliner difference.
I believe my rear air vents do not have the wood trim, but I do have the SA upgrade. I have the Alcantara headliner. The Lexus dealer that provided the PPI pulled all the data and gave it to me with the inspection print out. I also bought a reproduction window sticker online that listed the same options.
The following users liked this post:
DJWLDW (07-16-24)