LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

best super luxury car (US News)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-15, 12:27 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
I think the LS is not for everyone. I believe you described the typical LS buyer which is cut from the same cloth as your average Camry owner. They are not driven by emotional hedonism but a clear sense of practicality and compromise.
Then there are those like myself that learned a valuable lesson in value by owning a BMW and eventually finding refuge in a Lexus.
I agree with most of this except that an average Camry owner might be satisfied with the Camry. At least looking at myself, I've had Camry-level cars most of my life: cars that had features generally not found in the lower priced cars, good reliability and utility. For the first time, I really wanted what I perceived to be a luxury vehicle: a car that went beyond being "practical" and fine for daily driving to a car that made the driving experience a pleasure -- not a "canyon carver" or a high-performing car, but one that offered comfort and features beyond a Camry or even Avalon.

The quality of the leather and wood in the LS460 is (naturally) far ahead of the same, not just in a Camry, but most vehicles. The ergonomics and attention to detail is great. I appreciate the small things, such as the sunglasses holder. The solid "thunk" of a door closing. The overall refinement.

All hardly practical, but that what makes me want to drive my LS460 on a car trip or to the supermarket. I doubt most people feel that way about their Camrys, at least after the initial thrill of new ownership.
Old 10-24-15, 05:06 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Then there are those like myself that learned a valuable lesson in value by owning a BMW and eventually finding refuge in a Lexus.
Amen to that brother!!
Old 10-27-15, 12:44 AM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with most of this except that an average Camry owner might be satisfied with the Camry. At least looking at myself, I've had Camry-level cars most of my life: cars that had features generally not found in the lower priced cars, good reliability and utility. For the first time, I really wanted what I perceived to be a luxury vehicle: a car that went beyond being "practical" and fine for daily driving to a car that made the driving experience a pleasure -- not a "canyon carver" or a high-performing car, but one that offered comfort and features beyond a Camry or even Avalon.
All hardly practical, but that what makes me want to drive my LS460 on a car trip or to the supermarket. I doubt most people feel that way about their Camrys, at least after the initial thrill of new ownership.
Agreed but it's going to be hard to go back to a 'normal' car after owning the LS. My mother had two Camrys and loved them but every time she lands at LAX she's happy the LS is there. The Camry is a great car but the details (and the refinement) are not at LS levels. And for less than half the price that's reasonable.

I haven't driven the new S Class (W222) but the prior W221 felt like an old man's car. Fast yes but stolid, serious and imposing (like Darth Vader). The LS460 and BMW 7 series were much more athletic.

With ABC the S might feel more athletic; but there's no hiding the fact that these are 2 ton + cars. The Laws of Physics still apply somewhat. So in comparison to almost any normal car these cars will probably feel a little more....stately.

On a DIY note though whenever the LS430 feels sluggish I disconnect the battery and reset the throttle control computer. It seems to return the throttle to the default mapping and the car feels peppier.