LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

best super luxury car (US News)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-15, 07:15 PM
jzqj55
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default best super luxury car (US News)

probably the best site for accurate comparisons of the carmakers current offerings

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...r-Luxury-Cars/

of course the MB S class is #1. My experience after test driving an S550 agrees 100%.

LS tied for #4. Does get the highest rating for reliability. As I can attest as an 2009 LS AWD owner, it's not indestructible. I've had GM cars I've put more miles on w/ much lower repair expenses.

Overall, Not too bad considering the price and the fact it has not has any major updates lately.

Hope the 2017 will bring the LS back up to the #1 position it claimed years ago.
Old 10-19-15, 07:26 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jzqj55
probably the best site for accurate comparisons of the carmakers current offerings

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...r-Luxury-Cars/

of course the MB S class is #1. My experience after test driving an S550 agrees 100%.

LS tied for #4. Does get the highest rating for reliability. As I can attest as an 2009 LS AWD owner, it's not indestructible. I've had GM cars I've put more miles on w/ much lower repair expenses.

Overall, Not too bad considering the price and the fact it has not has any major updates lately.

Hope the 2017 will bring the LS back up to the #1 position it claimed years ago.
Well, as I'm quite sure your aware, no car is indestructible, Lexus included.
And I'm curious to know if your repair experience with your LS has been via dealership, indy mechanic or warranty covered?
Also, if I may ask, what issues have you had with the car?
I wouldn't debate with you regarding GM, but I would assume your referring to one of their SUV's/pick ups, as they have a generalized decent reputation for durability.
Cars, not so much...
Old 10-19-15, 08:31 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't see why being number four is any reflection on slipping. We are essentially discussing a car that is 10 years old in design. The three other cars above it are new model cars from the ground up probably on it's second iteration since 2006. Technically speaking the LS should be dead last but since it's fourth it speaks volumes to the embarrassment of the other makes that the low tech in the LS is still relevant. Just think where an old BMW, Mercedes or Audi of the same same vintage should be on that scale.

Last edited by Devh; 10-19-15 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-19-15, 10:10 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexus has not played in the same pricing sphere as the Germans since each of them released their latest updates. The LS460 tops out about where the V-8 powered Germans start. It will be interesting to see if Lexus stays in the "sensible budget luxury flagship" niche it's in right now or if it tries to move upmarket to match the Germans.
Old 10-20-15, 01:00 AM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Agreed. It was 10 years ago this year that the LF-Sh was shown at the Tokyo Motor show; so a replacement is overdue. Typically the replacement cycle on the LS is 4-6 years; we're on model year 9 for the XF40.

The next generation needs more power as everybody has moved ahead. But from the era in which it arrived the LS460 was dead on in comparison to the S550 and the 600 matched the 760Li and A8 W12 nicely. I'd expect a bump to 5 liters and the fancy cams from the GS/RC-F.

But it's still a nice car; and it's still tops in reliability. Also bear in mind the LS460 didn't do that well against the last generation of S/7/A class so you could argue that it beating the Jag means it's still as relevant as the last edition.

Here's hoping there's a nice gift for us in Tokyo later this month.

Originally Posted by Devh
I don't see why being number four is any reflection on slipping. We are essentially discussing a car that is 10 years old in design. The three other cars above it are new model cars from the ground up probably on it's second iteration since 2006. Technically speaking the LS should be dead last but since it's fourth it speaks volumes to the embarrassment of the other makes that the low tech in the LS is still relevant. Just think where an old BMW, Mercedes or Audi of the same same vintage should be on that scale.
Old 10-20-15, 06:41 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Not sure about anyone else but when I purchased my car, it was based on one thing. Reliability. I wanted a flagship but wanted a reliable car since I was going to keep it for years to come. And based on that site, the LS is the only one that received 5 and the others received 3.5. Thats a big deal to me. Doesnt make much sense to me to have all these pretty gadgets in your car if youre sitting on the side of the road.
Old 10-20-15, 06:57 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My son in law has a '14 S550 w/AMG pkg.
Fantastic car that a LS can even come close to in class and options.
Maybe the new gen LS will be much closer.
Old 10-20-15, 08:03 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
My son in law has a '14 S550 w/AMG pkg.
Fantastic car that a LS can even come close to in class and options.
Maybe the new gen LS will be much closer.
I think its obvious that the LS-looks and tech-wise, is behind. but as Dev stated, there hasn't been a whole lot of tech-based updates to the LS for the last 10 years and though the physical updates are present, there hasn't been a complete remodel.
Other makers have caught up and surpassed without question.
But isn't there anything to be said about the reliability quotient?
Indeed the Germans and the Jag make visually alluring vehicles, but every one of them lack in reliability and have for years.
Its the sole reason I desired to purchase an LS. I wanted a really nice car that wouldn't live in the shop and/or leave me stranded. That reason: Reliability.
Then again, I guess one could make the argument that hardly anyone flat out buys these cars, but rather leases them, turns them in and isn't necessarily worried about the reliability element.
With that being the case, its obvious that these makes don't really depend on these flagships to be substantive long term, but place focus on, especially over the last 3-5 years, making smaller, sportier, financially consumer-friendly vehicles. A3, CLA, 3-series, ATS etc., not to mention the smaller SUV's/crossover segment. But the ironic thing there is, that even those vehicles are known to be problematic in their short-live existence.
But there will always be the demographic of people that desire for a nice, high-end luxury vehicle, but don't desire to have a marred experience by having to devote large sums of money to keep the thing running.
Honestly, if Lexus debuts a flagship that isn't earth shattering regarding their physical appearance, but is still classy, clean and design-forward, provides great useful tech to enhance the driver experience, forward, intuitive safety features as well as variance in drivetrain's, while still maintaining their allegiance to reliability - ethically, logically and as a reputable brand, they win.

Last edited by CRowe14; 10-20-15 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-20-15, 08:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I think its obvious that the LS-looks and tech-wise, is behind. but as Dev stated, there hasn't been a whole lot of tech-based updates to the LS for the last 10 years and though the physical updates are present, there hasn't been a complete remodel.
Other makers have caught up and surpassed without question.
But isn't there anything to be said about the reliability quotient?
Indeed the Germans and the Jag make visually alluring vehicles, but every one of them lack in reliability and have for years.
Its the sole reason I desired to purchase an LS. I wanted a really nice car that wouldn't live in the shop and/or leave me stranded. That reason: Reliability.
Then again, I guess one could make the argument that hardly anyone flat out buys these cars, but rather leases them, turns them in and isn't necessarily worried about the reliability element.
With that being the case, its obvious that these makes don't really depend on these flagships to be substantive long term, but place focus on, especially over the last 3-5 years, making smaller, sportier, financially consumer-friendly vehicles. A3, CLA, 3-series, ATS etc., not to mention the smaller SUV's/crossover segment. But the ironic thing there is, that even those vehicles are known to be problematic in their short-live existence.
But there will always be the demographic of people that desire for a nice, high-end luxury vehicle, but don't desire to have a marred experience by having to devote large sums of money to keep the thing running.
Honestly, if Lexus debuts a flagship that isn't earth shattering regarding their physical appearance, but is still classy, clean and design-forward, provides great useful tech to enhance the driver experience, forward, intuitive safety features as well as variance in drivetrain's, while still maintaining their allegiance to reliability - ethically, logically and as a reputable brand, they win.
Yes German vehicles are mostly leased and/or bought and dumped before basic warranty is over.
Most luxury vehicles are leased.

The S Class has so many comfort and other amenities that the LS will never have.
I think the reason is all the comfort features and other luxury features are more things that can go wrong after basic warranty.Hence the reliability issues.Toyota doesn't want the issues
Lexus just isn't Tier 1 luxury like Benz.
More reliable yes but not even close in luxury.Especially in the flagship models.At least at this point.
Old 10-20-15, 09:17 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Yes German vehicles are mostly leased and/or bought and dumped before basic warranty is over.
Most luxury vehicles are leased.

The S Class has so many comfort and other amenities that the LS will never have.
I think the reason is all the comfort features and other luxury features are more things that can go wrong after basic warranty.Hence the reliability issues.Toyota doesn't want the issues
Lexus just isn't Tier 1 luxury like Benz.
More reliable yes but not even close in luxury.Especially in the flagship models.At least at this point.
Ok point taken, as I don't entirely disagree with you regarding the luxury appointments that come in the lux/tech laden MB and Lexus not wanting those issues.
However and unfortunately, that's not where "reliability" buck stops when speaking about the German makes.
There's the myriad of electrical, engine and trans related issues.
Old 10-20-15, 09:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Ok point taken, as I don't entirely disagree with you regarding the luxury appointments that come in the lux/tech laden MB and Lexus not wanting those issues.
However and unfortunately, that's not where "reliability" buck stops when speaking about the German makes.
There's the myriad of electrical, engine and trans related issues.
I've heard of the electrical issues but not many engine and trans issues.
In fact,MB reliability is much better than in the past.

I wouldn't own a German vehicle after basic warranty,though.
Lexus is no doubt much better but I still bought a discounted Lexus
Platinum warranty for peace of mind.
Old 10-20-15, 09:44 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

I've heard of the electrical issues but not many engine and trans issues.
In fact,MB reliability is much better than in the past.

I wouldn't own a German vehicle after basic warranty,though.
Lexus is no doubt much better but I still bought a discounted Lexus
Platinum warranty for peace of mind.
LOL! I cant argue with having piece of mind!
And my mistake, I was referring to BMW., regarding engine/trans issues.
I got mixed up and mentally began grouping the German makes together.
Like you I would be scarred to own German past initial warranty, but without a question, the S Class is a jaw-dropper through and through.
Old 10-20-15, 09:46 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by 305Busa
Not sure about anyone else but when I purchased my car, it was based on one thing. Reliability. I wanted a flagship but wanted a reliable car since I was going to keep it for years to come. And based on that site, the LS is the only one that received 5 and the others received 3.5. Thats a big deal to me. Doesnt make much sense to me to have all these pretty gadgets in your car if youre sitting on the side of the road.
Same for me. Coming from a BMW 7 series, (and still in possession of an X5), I was tired of owning a vehicle that always left me walking on eggshells every time I got into it. Owning a Top-Tier luxury car that was always breaking down or raping your wallet for the smallest (and largest) issues was too much. I finally had enough and wanted to get into a car that was reliable....even if it meant a small sacrifice in performance. And it really was a small sacrifice. Yes, the BMW "felt" marginally quicker and had that German "feel", but it wasn't enough to concern me and wasn't worth the endless drama and enormous repair bills. Someone on the Bimmerfest forums aptly described owning a BMW as, "being married to a sex addicted super-model with a 500 dollar a day, meth habit. "

I see my LS as being married to the gorgeous girl next door, and former Prom Queen, who just wants to settle down and make you happy.
Old 10-20-15, 09:58 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I see my LS as being married to the gorgeous girl next door, and former Prom Queen, who just wants to settle down and make you happy.
Funny, and I like that!
It seems as though your one of the few that has owned both flagships.
Though the discussion initially started with speaking about the MB, the 7 is the undeniable flagship for BMW.
For you, did you feel like you were loosing anything-car related or "stepping down" when you chose to buy the LS?
I think the new 7 series has some really nice features, and not to shabby looking.
The S Class to me is in a class of its own.
The LS, from what I've read, isn't really aiming to be or go the direction of the S, but more so a sporty, design-forward vehicle, going after the likes of Porsche and the XJ.
Is there anything you feel you gained (other than reliability) with the LS and what do you think, or what would you like for the LS to do to keep you as a customer?
Old 10-20-15, 10:57 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I believe someone posted an article about a new exclusive high end car Lexus has planed. My prediction is that this new car will one up the S Class and will be priced $30-
50k more.
Toyota could have made a super duper car that outclassed an S but that would just price a lot of people out of the market. It really comes down to how much money you have and if both the LS and MB were at the same price point an argument can be made but since MB decided to go into the stratosphere Lexus will make that low production S killer a reality just to prove the point that it is always about the money not the brand.

Quick Reply: best super luxury car (US News)