LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

High Mileage LS

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-15, 07:08 PM
dreadzz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Mileage LS

Looking at a 2010 LS460L, with 170k...dealer maintained... Swing arms been replaced..guy asking 20k..yes or no?
Old 10-20-15, 08:20 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Those miles are indeed pretty high but I guess if the condition of the car is good/clean and he has records, I would say it could be a good buy. Similar cars with 50k miles go for $10-$15k more. Is it clean, look like it's been well cared for? You can check the service history on Lexus' website.
Old 10-20-15, 08:49 PM
dkang76
Driver

170k is way too much mileage.
Even tho its 2010. I think mileage is more important than year.
I just bought 2007 ls460 with 60k miles for 21k.
Old 10-20-15, 08:57 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a really high number of miles, and I feel that price is a bit high when you can get one with much more remaining life for high $20ks. That said, if the car is in truly excellent condition it might be an OK buy, especially if you can get him down into the mid-high teens. High mileage is a big gamble... it could be OK, or it could have tons of mechanical parts all on their last legs.
Old 10-21-15, 02:14 AM
LMoney4o8
Lexus Test Driver

I say, DO IT!
Old 10-21-15, 06:22 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

That price is way too high for that many miles. I'm sure the majority of them are highway, but still. If you look around you can find one with half the miles for around the same price.
Old 10-21-15, 06:36 AM
dreadzz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sdwtchlvr
Those miles are indeed pretty high but I guess if the condition of the car is good/clean and he has records, I would say it could be a good buy. Similar cars with 50k miles go for $10-$15k more. Is it clean, look like it's been well cared for? You can check the service history on Lexus' website.
Yes, very clean...ran the vin#, maintenance done by Lexus dealer...my concern is trying to get a extended warranty with that mileage
Old 10-21-15, 07:08 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadzz
Yes, very clean...ran the vin#, maintenance done by Lexus dealer...my concern is trying to get a extended warranty with that mileage
I think...THINK being the primary operative word here, that you may be able to obtain 3rd party, but there's absolutely no way Lexus will warranty this vehicle, as they don't touch anything over 100k.
From what many have disclosed in this forum, its seems that credit unions offer decent warranties and Carchex offer pretty decent coverage packages.
I have to assume though that if CC does offer a warranty package, it wont be exclusionary due to mileage and the cost will be pretty absorbent, and you'll still have a decent deductible.
GL!
Old 10-21-15, 07:28 AM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you don't mind buying a car out of state and are either willing to have it shipped or willing to travel anywhere to buy it, then sure there are better deals out there for cars with less mileage.

But I don't feel that $20k is too off the mark, we're talking about a 2010 LS460L. I would just expect some things to start failing and set some money aside for that. If the car looks and drives great, then go for it. I would definitely make an offer though. You might try calling Carchex and pricing out an extended warranty, see if they'll even give you one.
Old 10-21-15, 07:50 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't know of any insurance company that would warrenty any car with those miles.
Having said that it's nice to see some very high mileage cars ready to hit the 200k mile club in the wild.
It discredits those that say the LS 460 is not as good as it's predecessor.
Old 10-21-15, 07:51 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Devh
I don't know of any insurance company that would warrenty any car with those miles.
Having said that it's nice to see some very high mileage cars ready to hit the 200k mile club in the wild.
It discredits those that say the LS 460 is not as good as it's predecessor.
Devh, play nice...
Old 10-21-15, 08:16 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Devh, play nice...
Do you think that car burns oil, hesitates or has it's dashboard cracked. It wouldn't surprise me if the transmission fluid was never changed.
The fact that it's being sold at that price tells me it's in presentable condition. This is good news for those that want to keep their LS460s for a long time and those that wish to sell and retain their value.
I think in the next year or so we will see many more high mileage cars.
Old 10-21-15, 08:29 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Devh
Do you think that car burns oil, hesitates or has it's dashboard cracked. It wouldn't surprise me if the transmission fluid was never changed.
The fact that it's being sold at that price tells me it's in presentable condition. This is good news for those that want to keep their LS460s for a long time and those that wish to sell and retain their value.
I think in the next year or so we will see many more high mileage cars.
Ironic you say this because of all of the symptoms you listed, I had only pondered about the possible issue of oil consumption.
Trans fluid, indeed probably never changed...
In fact, OP, would you please provide us with a link to the vehicle, and I imagine within the link the VIN should be present.
If all records display all maintenance has been performed by Lexus as the OP stated, then everything, as you know, should be shown, linked to the VIN.
I don't dispute one bit that these cars are beginning to show what you've been saying for quite some time now, that the 4th Gen LS is just as reliable and well built as previous generations.
I will say though, when you think about just how much tech is in the car and how many parts come together to make this car, the weight/size and how it drives, to me, its almost a bit strange just how well build it is. It almost lends one to believe that the Japanese have a secret to engineering and build strategies that no one else possesses.
Old 10-21-15, 08:34 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadzz
Looking at a 2010 LS460L, with 170k...dealer maintained... Swing arms been replaced..guy asking 20k..yes or no?
Honestly, I would spend the extra money and get something with half the miles.
Old 10-21-15, 08:35 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
Absolutely not. Shopping around yields much lower prices, such as this:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...08170262&Log=0

I do not care how well it was maintained, 170,000 miles is still 170,000 miles.

Quick Reply: High Mileage LS