LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Locked out of car

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-15, 04:04 PM
Bluv
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked out of car

Bad day for me, anyway I took one of the battery cables off tryung to get the vsc light to go off when it starts to rain and my son slams the hood on the car so now the doors are locked, hood closed, & the key that's on the fob haven't been cut, any help appreciated, thanks in advance
Old 10-28-15, 04:16 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

jack the car up.
remove the undertray.
work your hand up to the latch and just pull on the cable, it will open right up.

Last edited by Oldfart; 10-28-15 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-28-15, 05:17 PM
Bluv
Rookie

Thanks oldfart, I was back in there in less than 5 min
Old 10-28-15, 05:20 PM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

lol, old fart. thats cool! glad it worked out for you
Old 10-28-15, 06:19 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluv
..... & the key that's on the fob haven't been cut, ....
I'm not sure, what did you mean by that?
Old 10-28-15, 06:37 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I'm not sure, what did you mean by that?
It means that he could not use key to open the door and fob didn't work because battery was disconnected. He had to get back to battery under the hood.
Old 10-28-15, 06:38 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Thanks oldfart, I was back in there in less than 5 min
I do not want to get credit for it. I just googled it and some one on this board in GS section already had same issue, I just copied and pasted their solution.
Old 10-28-15, 08:16 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Oldfart
It means that he could not use key to open the door ...
That's what puzzles me. Why wouldn't the key in the fob open the door?
Old 10-28-15, 08:21 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Battery disconnected, had to open the hood to reconnect the battery so the fob would work, the hard key is uncut so he can't use it. Atleast that's what I got..
Old 10-29-15, 07:30 AM
Bluv
Rookie

yea the key wasnt cut but thats on my to do list though
Old 10-29-15, 08:05 AM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

yea the key wasnt cut but thats on my to do list though
When you say the key wasn't "cut", did you get a replacement fob for the original that came with the car and the mechanical key has to be cut to match the cylinder on the car door?

I don't mean to belabor this, but I can't understand why your mechanical key wouldn't unlock the door.
Old 10-29-15, 08:37 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
When you say the key wasn't "cut", did you get a replacement fob for the original that came with the car and the mechanical key has to be cut to match the cylinder on the car door?

I don't mean to belabor this, but I can't understand why your mechanical key wouldn't unlock the door.
I'm not entirely sure but when I bought my car used it only had one key and I had to source a new one. I read various posts where they say you can buy a used key fob on Ebay and have it reprogramed by the dealer for a fee to save money however the key of someone else's car is no good to you.
When I purchased my new key fob from the dealer it was imported from Japan. The dealer did not do any programing, it was programed and the key was cut at the factory using the VIN number.
Old 10-29-15, 09:29 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

If Lexus is anything like BMW's key replacement procedure, you have to get the key directly from Lexus. When I replaced a key on my BMW, I had to go to the dealer, give them my VIN, as well as proof of ownership, then they ordered the assigned key from Germany. BMW has only five replacement keys produced with each vehicle and are retained by BMW at their head office in Germany. They are stored away and then they ship them by overnight courier as requested. Cost? 400 bucks! LOL. The keys are not "cut" per se, but are actually produced and programmed when the car is built and then shipped with two sets. "So what happens when I need a new key and there aren't anymore to order?" I asked. They replied that the cars ECU would have to be replaced and the keys associated with that new ECU would be included. I forget the cost associated with that, but I seem to recall it was in the thousands of dollars.
Old 10-29-15, 01:32 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
If Lexus is anything like BMW's key replacement procedure, you have to get the key directly from Lexus. When I replaced a key on my BMW, I had to go to the dealer, give them my VIN, as well as proof of ownership, then they ordered the assigned key from Germany. BMW has only five replacement keys produced with each vehicle and are retained by BMW at their head office in Germany. They are stored away and then they ship them by overnight courier as requested. Cost? 400 bucks! LOL. The keys are not "cut" per se, but are actually produced and programmed when the car is built and then shipped with two sets. "So what happens when I need a new key and there aren't anymore to order?" I asked. They replied that the cars ECU would have to be replaced and the keys associated with that new ECU would be included. I forget the cost associated with that, but I seem to recall it was in the thousands of dollars.
Yikes, at least that's better than the way Audi does it: needing the car towed to the dealer. Although running out of keys sounds terrible.
My friend lost his keyfob.. Called the dealer and gave identifying info so they could prove who owned the car and got a new new spare over-nighted to us. We needed the key so we could at least put the car in Neutral to make it easy to get onto a trailer so we could tow it 100 miles to the closest Audi dealership for the key to be programmed to the car. It was such a hassle.. fast-forward 8 months and we found the keys casually chilling on the ottoman - we tore the house apart looking for it too. Total cost? $90 for the "dumb" valet key + $60 for the actual programming part + towing which thankfully was just gas since a friend towed it.

At least we don't have Aston Martin's Emotional Control Unit which costs $3k+ to replace. That's one key I would never let out of my sight.