LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-15, 08:36 AM
dkang76
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake question

When car is standing on d, I feel like I need to press brake pad with good amount of foot force to keep it parked. If I loose tension a bit then it feels like car will go forward.
When lexus inspected a month ago they said pad was little slim but brake actuator was fine. But brake does feel squishy when parked.
Is that it?

Also this is dumb question but car didn't come with license plate screws. Anyone know what size screw s they are?
Old 10-31-15, 08:45 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by dkang76
When car is standing on d, I feel like I need to press brake pad with good amount of foot force to keep it parked. If I loose tension a bit then it feels like car will go forward.
When lexus inspected a month ago they said pad was little slim but brake actuator was fine. But brake does feel squishy when parked.
Is that it?

Also this is dumb question but car didn't come with license plate screws. Anyone know what size screw s they are?
I have the same experience. Definitely more brake pressure required than I'm used to. I found my self almost bumping a car in front of me if I wasn't paying attention.
Old 10-31-15, 09:47 AM
jmcraney

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by dkang76
The screw size is: M6-1.0 X 12mm (pan hd phillips - zinc plated). These screws are available at most Home Depot stores. They usually keep them in a cabinet, so, you might have to ask for help to find them. They are typically packaged in a package of 2 and are about $1 a package.

Last edited by jmcraney; 10-31-15 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-31-15, 11:02 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I have the same experience. Definitely more brake pressure required than I'm used to. I found my self almost bumping a car in front of me if I wasn't paying attention.
Ironic because even after owning and driving the car for a while, more so at a light, I have to make sure that im applying enough pressure to my brake pedal to assure the vehicle wont creep forward.
This actually just happened to me last night, and I actually had to immediately apply more pressure as I almost bump the car ahead of me as I was handling something for my daughter in the back seat.
Old 10-31-15, 11:13 AM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great topic. I feel the same way with the brakes. Since this car is not my daily driver, it catches me off gaurd sometimes and I do find myself creeping forward. I wished there was a way to have the car stay put or more neutral before I press the gas pedal.
Old 10-31-15, 11:16 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Unsober1
Great topic. I feel the same way with the brakes. Since this car is not my daily driver, it catches me off gaurd sometimes and I do find myself creeping forward. I wished there was a way to have the car stay put or more neutral before I press the gas pedal.
Based off of what you've specifically described, the 'HOLD' button will do this.
I personally just don't like to use it much, because I don't like the resistance I initially feel from the point I depress the gas pedal, the ebrake disengages and the car begins to move.
Old 10-31-15, 02:03 PM
dkang76
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started to put on neutral but then when green light comes up I forget i was in neutral lol...
Old 10-31-15, 04:54 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

It took me a while to get used to it too, first time at a light I found my car creeping towards the car in front of me because I wasn't applying enough pressure at the light. It's something I'm always mindful of now. The brake hold feature eliminates the problem, but i'm so used to it now it's not an issue.
Old 11-01-15, 09:30 AM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The same is true for my 09. More than average pressure is needed to keep car stopped. Thought it was just me. The hold feature is nice but I agree that you have to be careful with the amount of pressure needed on the gas to release the hold on the brakes. If the car ahead of you stalls for a second, you might hit them.
Old 11-01-15, 11:00 AM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

I don't experience that at all with my car. Normal pressure on the brake pedal keeps the car at a dead stop. I'm tempted to speculate that your engine idle rpm's are too high, but I'm sure that is not the case.

I don't have occasion to use the "HOLD" function very often, but when I do I'm always paranoid that it will let go and I'll roll into the car in front of me before I can hit the brake.
Old 11-01-15, 11:16 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I use the hold feature every single time I get in the car. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't. I don't have to hold my foot on the brake at all while sitting at a light. Makes it very easy.
Old 11-01-15, 11:20 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Put me on the list.
Old 11-01-15, 12:00 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not sure if it's the brakes themselves, or the ability of the transmission to propel the vehicle, even at idle speeds. I've noticed that my car will even creep uphill at idle.
Old 11-01-15, 01:22 PM
jmcraney

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

If you are going to use the HOLD feature, be sure you have a plan in case it times out. Lots of people get caught by surprise and don't know what to do. They even damage their parking brake is these situations.
Old 11-01-15, 04:06 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

. Lots of people get caught by surprise and don't know what to do. They even damage their parking brake is these situations.
LOL. Day two of my ownership of my LS. DId'nt know what the hell to do as people behind me in the drive through grew very impatient for their burgers! I literally dragged my locked up rear wheels to the nearest stall until I figured it out.

Quick Reply: Brake question