LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Personalizing an LS460 (2013+)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-15, 11:43 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Exclamation Personalizing an LS460 (2013+)

Hello,

I am actively shopping for a 2013+ LS460, hoping to buy one in the near future.

In the mean time, I'm doing my "due diligence".

I am wondering how my fellow forum members have (tastefully) personalized their LS460. It seems like many of the 'obvious' modifications have already been integrated into the standard 2013+ model.

Just today I saw an 85 year old gentleman getting out of an LS460 (which seems to have been target age range for this vehicle, at least before the recent refresh), and I'm wondering how my (future) LS460 can be potentially customized, to look different.

The obvious addition is high quality ceramic window tint, but what else is there?

Obviously, custom wheels are out of the question (they would look somewhat 'ghetto', plus durability issues arise).

Lowering the car is also out of the question.

I have ruled out "tinting" the tail lights, as it would detract from the LED appearance.

Inside, it seems the 2013+ already has all LED lights, so no need to update any of those.

I have also ruled out the chrome door sill covering (as discussed in a previous thread).

Is there really anything else that can be done to differentiate a 2013+ LS460 from the crowd, short of going overboard and making it a "show car" (non-daily driver)?

Please share your thoughts.

Thank you

Last edited by jasone36; 11-08-15 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-08-15, 12:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I'm not much of a modder, but IMHO you need to either do the whole package or don't. Take wheels, IMHO different wheels in the same diameter look dumb. If you go bigger, the car needs to be lowered a little to look right. So you have to commit to reducing the ride quality or just leave it as is. You could get a set of PVD or chrome OEM rims depending on the color they can look good. Otherwise outside of window tint I would keep it stock.

I've never even tinted windows before this car came along...
Old 11-08-15, 12:21 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Personally I would do the tint and thats all. I'm not a modder either. I prefer the look of the car be left alone. It's a 2013+ LS460. You are going to pay $50k for the car. That is enough to stand out from the crowd.
Old 11-08-15, 02:12 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I actually removed the tint after purchasing the car used. The tint job was one of the best I have seen and it must have taken a great deal of effort to apply.
The reason why I removed the tint simply because it's not optically perfect and it reduces the visibility. I don't have anything against tinted windows but it has to be part of the glass and not film tint otherwise it looks cheap to me.
Most automotive glass has a slight greenish tint to it and to me that looks classic and clean like a high end car.
I have seen two identical Ferraris at a meet, one was tinted with film and the other was not. You can clearly see how badly film tint ruins the look.

As far as modifications go, I never see an S class or any of the usual high European luxury cars get the full VIP treatment of modifications like I have seen for the LS460.

Last edited by Devh; 11-08-15 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-08-15, 02:41 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 376 Likes on 254 Posts

We just found the wife her 2014 LS460 and so far can not see any mods that are required on this vehicle. It is pretty awesome as is and aside from the steep learning curve on the navigation/audio controller (which we are not used to yet) it has been a lot of fun.....

Good luck on your search..... Lot more cars to be had on the East coast then out here....
Old 11-08-15, 04:11 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You could debadge it or find wheels that suit the car. While it is difficult to find quality wheels that will match the classy, sleek looks of a LS460, it's still possible.
Old 11-08-15, 04:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Devh
I actually removed the tint after purchasing the car used. The tint job was one of the best I have seen and it must have taken a great deal of effort to apply.
The reason why I removed the tint simply because it's not optically perfect and it reduces the visibility. I don't have anything against tinted windows but it has to be part of the glass and not film tint otherwise it looks cheap to me.
Most automotive glass has a slight greenish tint to it and to me that looks classic and clean like a high end car.
I have seen two identical Ferraris at a meet, one was tinted with film and the other was not. You can clearly see how badly film tint ruins the look.

As far as modifications go, I never see an S class or any of the usual high European luxury cars get the full VIP treatment of modifications like I have seen for the LS460.
You need to see a good quality tint job. You would never know the tint on my car wasn't imbedded in the glass.

IMHO cars almost always look better with tinted windows. I've just never done it until now.
Old 11-08-15, 04:42 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You need to see a good quality tint job. You would never know the tint on my car wasn't imbedded in the glass.

IMHO cars almost always look better with tinted windows. I've just never done it until now.
I use to think that way a long time ago until I seen classic european cars at a concourse with no tint. I have seen cars that had actual tinted glass and there was a world of difference. The tinted glass was optically perfect and it had that sheen that shames even the better tint jobs with high quality film. Since that time I had an epiphany so I ripped out the film from the cars I owned at the time and right after that my one of my cars gathered a lot more attention for looking like a factory exotic that nobody knew existed even though it was heavily modified Toyota. If it would have had film tint the effect would have been ruined and the modifications would have stood out like a sore thumb.
On the lexus ripping out the tint was the best thing that happened as far as looks go since the interior is already black against a white car it looks like the high qually embedded tint.
Old 11-08-15, 04:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I just don't agree.
Old 11-08-15, 05:34 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I just don't agree.
No problem, just personal preference I guess.
Old 11-08-15, 05:40 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

I don't think there's anything that personalizes a car more than a set of wheels and tires. That's the obvious one. For me, that was a set of staggered 20 inch. It's the only thing that sets a car apart from all the others. It's always been that way and likely always will.

The only other mods are the PS module, LED's all over (inside and out), and trunk and/or roof spoiler.
Old 11-08-15, 06:30 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts

If you are unwilling to do wheels or suspension, then the only thing you have left is tint. Anything else would look out of place. Wheels and a drop are generally the first step.

Originally Posted by Devh

Old 11-09-15, 03:06 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed that wheels are the first step. PVD factory wheels are a good choice if you don't want any functional impact. If you want more, go up a step in size. My opinion is that 20" is the biggest size that looks good on a LS, although lots of members here are running 21" or 22".

Other than wheels and tint most mods to this car make it look worse IMO.

For what it's worth, good-quality tint is also an excellent protection measure for the interior. I'm convinced that part of the reason my car's interior looks showroom after seven years is the tint. When you see a used car with an interior that is uncommonly good for its age, most of the time you will see tint as well.
Old 10-22-18, 12:51 PM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am looking at this one, looks to be able to do some work on both my '13 LS460L and my '06GS300.... Does that look good? Or is there another one that's a better option?

http://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/vx...sae-j2534.html

is there a better one that I can get faster maybe from eBay?

Last edited by whytry; 10-23-18 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-22-18, 07:37 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by panyo64
If you are unwilling to do wheels or suspension, then the only thing you have left is tint. Anything else would look out of place. Wheels and a drop are generally the first step
A few of us prefer interior mods. I added the Grom audio VLine 2 which gives you android integration and Apple carplay on that beautiful 12.3" screen.

Quick Reply: Personalizing an LS460 (2013+)