LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Replaced the Bridgestones with a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-18, 02:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Congrats! They'll actually get quieter as they get broken in.
Old 04-16-19, 05:16 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

Well I just replaced my first set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 tires with the same. The first set went on at 100,183 and now replaced at 134,703. So about 34,500 miles.

They lasted longer than the original Bridgestones that were replaced at 23,277 by a set of Pirelli P Zero Nero that lasted 29,492 miles. Before getting my first set of the P7's I had a set of Continental Eco Plus. They lasted 47,414 miles, but I didn't like their performance in rain and snow.

I only drove a short distance since getting the new tires today, but I can tell an immediate difference.
Old 04-17-19, 06:16 AM
Overlander
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
I am completely disgusted with my choice of Continentals. Out of the first four I received, TWO were out of round. Tire Rack customer service has been outstanding. They sent me two to replace those and are covering my road force balance and mounting. HOWEVER, even after mounting the new 2 ones, I still have a shake between 70-80mph. It was not there with my old tires, so I know it is related to the new ones. I am going to swap out the front two with my spare to try to find the bad one or two. I really hope I can change to the Pirelli due to the issues I've had with these Continentals. Nightmare. I have no luck.
I would HIGHLY recommend the Michelin Sport A/S 3+ tires for the LS. Very quiet and incredible wet performance. On my LS, it actually feels better and more secure than my GS300 sport design on Goodyear Eagle GT’s.
Old 04-17-19, 01:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

35k miles is about the best you're going to get out of a set of tires on the LS.
Old 04-17-19, 04:46 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by FunFact
Wow, you only got 34,500 miles out of them? That makes me reconsider trying them out, as I'm currently on Serenity Plus tires. What tread depth was that down to when you switched them? 3/32?
Yea, I thought I might get more than 35K. I didn't measure the tread depth. I could have driven them for 1 to 3 thousand more miles, but I drive as fast in wet weather as I do in dry, so I needed new tires.

I did put the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus on my wife's Jag S-Type and they are excellent tires. I don't know the longevity yet because she doesn't put a lot of miles on it any more and we switch to snow tires in the winter.
Old 04-17-19, 05:01 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
35k miles is about the best you're going to get out of a set of tires on the LS.
When I got my P7's, I told them to give me the 50 thousand mile tires. Also, when I buy golf *****, I tell the guy to give me the straight *****.
Old 04-17-19, 08:00 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Overlander
I would HIGHLY recommend the Michelin Sport A/S 3+ tires for the LS. Very quiet and incredible wet performance. On my LS, it actually feels better and more secure than my GS300 sport design on Goodyear Eagle GT’s.
Respectfully disagree completely with the Michelin Sport A/S 3+ for LS. Had those on an LS 430 in 18-inch size and hated, absolutely hated those tires. They were loud and rode very hard and stiff. They looked marvelous though with the squared-off shoulders but they were THE FIRST Michelins in 25 years that I took issue with. The AS 3+ totally changed the character of the LS but not in the direction I had hoped for. They gripped well. I just couldn't deal with the noise and ride quality unbecoming of an LS.

The set of Pirelli P7+ have been great and are projected to last about 35K miles by the time I replace them at the next tire rotation interval. Looking forward to trying out the Michelin Premier AS, in 245/45/19, for comparison. I haven't noticed any wet traction issues with the P7+ and we've had lots of rain to drive through. One thing I do notice is a tendency for the P7+ to wiggle or get torqued off center easily by road irregularities or swollen asphalt. I would not call the P7+ unstable, just that on occasion I can feel it easily affected by road patterns/grooves/bumps or easily deflected from straight by uneven road surfaces. I don't recall noticing this sensation with other tires and will be paying close attention to how the Premier AS behaves over the same daily routes. No complaints about the P7+ in terms of noise, comfort, or traction (although it is true it breaks traction easily in snow/ice).

Last edited by FatherTo1; 04-17-19 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-18-19, 06:02 PM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS XL on my Kia. I liked them.
Old 04-19-19, 08:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
The set of Pirelli P7+ have been great and are projected to last about 35K miles by the time I replace them at the next tire rotation interval. Looking forward to trying out the Michelin Premier AS, in 245/45/19, for comparison. I haven't noticed any wet traction issues with the P7+ and we've had lots of rain to drive through. One thing I do notice is a tendency for the P7+ to wiggle or get torqued off center easily by road irregularities or swollen asphalt. I would not call the P7+ unstable, just that on occasion I can feel it easily affected by road patterns/grooves/bumps or easily deflected from straight by uneven road surfaces. I don't recall noticing this sensation with other tires and will be paying close attention to how the Premier AS behaves over the same daily routes. No complaints about the P7+ in terms of noise, comfort, or traction (although it is true it breaks traction easily in snow/ice).
What you're describing is "Tramlining".

I would not go to the Premier A/S. I made that swap on my old 03 ES300 when the P7s wore out and the Premiers don't ride nearly as well as the P7s nor are they as quiet as even worn P7s.

The Michelin tire that intrigues me is the new Primacy Tour A/S, it replaces the Primacy MXM4 and in its description its designed specifically to ride better and be quieter than the P7s
The following users liked this post:
aypues (04-19-19)
Old 04-19-19, 10:39 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by SW17LS
What you're describing is "Tramlining".

I would not go to the Premier A/S. I made that swap on my old 03 ES300 when the P7s wore out and the Premiers don't ride nearly as well as the P7s nor are they as quiet as even worn P7s.

The Michelin tire that intrigues me is the new Primacy Tour A/S, it replaces the Primacy MXM4 and in its description its designed specifically to ride better and be quieter than the P7s
Thanks, Steve. Wow, interesting that they specifically call out a competitor model. I will have to look into the Primacy Tour some more. I put a set of Premier AS on the wife's 06 ES 330 three weeks back (previously Primacy). They seem fine and nothing stood out initially, such as excessive noise or harsh ride. I agree that the P7+ rides especially well midway through its service life, even down to 6/32nd. I am between 4-5/32nd and they are still silent on smooth roads but there's a little more grumble on less than perfect roads. The P7+ is a great tire and sets the bar high for a Grand Touring tire.
Old 04-19-19, 10:43 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

On a side note @SW17LS , I recall the MXM4 as not being as good as Primacy MXV4. I don't remember the major differences, I just remember telling myself in the past to look for the 'V'.
Old 04-19-19, 11:01 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Thanks for the heads up, @SW17LS . Definitely piqued my curiosity now. I still don't like that both the Primacy Tour AS and Premier AS start at 8.5/32nd tread. I recently learned about the Michelin CrossClimate+ too but I think that is a European-spec tire and not as quiet.

Compared with the Premier AS:

The following users liked this post:
aypues (04-19-19)
Old 04-20-19, 11:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Bridgestone has a new tire out too called the Turanza QuietTrack that looks interesting. I'm looking forward to a new TireRack test of all of these new tires and seeing how they stack up against the P7...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...andard%20Tires
Old 04-20-19, 07:55 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

I just went with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and I really like them. The wet grip is incredible. Only problem is they make you want to drive fast which could lead to more tickets. Wanted to try the P7+ on the strength of this forum but they seemed to be getting shellac'd on the tire rack reviews for bad wet performance and also due the fact they are no longer an Italian company but now a wholly Chinese one. Do you really get 60 to 70k out of them?
Old 04-20-19, 08:42 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 190 Likes on 149 Posts

I changed my ls’s tires to the Michelin primacy for the noise and ride quality.

Now changing our sc430 for the same reason from Michelin Pilot SS

requires an aspect change from 40 to 45. Later primacy tour only comes in 50 aspect. Too tall. 2” taller. 45 series is one inch taller.

adding 19’s to the LS and a bigger front sway bar to the Sc

Quick Reply: Replaced the Bridgestones with a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus