LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Replaced the Bridgestones with a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-16, 03:15 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Dr J

Given the intensity of the Sun in HI I would tread lightly in running old tires at highway speeds. It might be ok to run older tires on the 4X4 while out playing in the old sugar cane fields but blowing a sidewall at 70mph will cause you to look for a new set of briefs.

Dennis
Yeah I stored my OEMs for years with protectant and in a basement and slapped them on for a few months before heading to Costco. After an inspection they said to run them for awhile and I drove it for 2 more years before grabbing my Michelin MXVs. Lucked out!
Old 02-15-16, 03:38 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I just ordered four Pirelli tires in 245/45R19. I think one reason inventory doesn't move much is that the size is rare. That's why those DOT numbers are "old." There's not many manufacturers that probably has this size as OEM. The only one I can think of is Tesla in their base model. I think some SUVs uses this size as well. Edit (sorry): BMW 750i has this size as standard and MB S550 uses it as an option now, partial option if staggered 19 is chosen, which kind of neat. In any case, still rare considering the low volume if these cars.

However, this rarity is a concern for me. My last car had 245/50R17 as OEM. Only two other cars had that size and they were older models no longer being produced. Finding tires was hard and hardly anyone had them in stock. I purchased a set of brand new Michelin Pilot AS. A year later I had a sidewall blowout and I couldn't order or find one Michelin in that size anywhere in the United States. Michelin had stopped production and moved to the AS3. I had to get four new tires, junking practically new tires lol. I was pissed. That's when I got those pirellis.

I just hope to god that Pirelli doesn't do this to us. Move to a newer tire. I hope there's enough cars out there in this size that warrants a steady production.

Lol, that's why those 20s scared me, availability is even worse as tire manufacturers will produce tires mainly based on OEM sizes out there.

Originally Posted by retlex
I am not very knowledgable on tires, but I believe someone posted on a previous thread one should not purchase tires older that six months (based on DOT) number. I spoke to Tire Rack rep about the PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS 245/45R19. He said they are about seven to eight months old-the last shipment was mid 2015. I thought based on popularity, these tires would have newer DOT numbers. Can someone shed some light on this please. Are seven to eight month old tires a concern for purchase?

Last edited by Rhambler; 02-15-16 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-02-16, 05:32 PM
retlex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was deciding between the Bridgestone Serenity Plus or the Pirelli Cinturato P7s, and I finally went with the P7s because of the positive reviews on Tire Rack and Club Lexus. I had them mounted and road forced balanced at the Toyota dealership for $124.00 which included a four wheel alignment-they were running a special.

Now, what everyone expects from a set of tires is certainly going to vary, especially in i.e., performance, ride quality, noise, ect.-so this my take. I have about 500 miles on the Pirelli Cinturato P7s and the tire pressure set initially to 33lbs. My first impression is that this is a very good tire. I have 19” wheels, so I don’t have the sidewall cushion like the 18’s, but the sounds and feel when going over expansion joints or road bumps are so much better than the previous tires I’ve owned. The overall road noise from asphalt or concrete when traveling at various speeds is noticeably much quieter and a clear cut winner. Now since I have the 19s, I played with the tire pressure and I found that 30lbs works best for me-but that is just preference. I am not a spirited driver but I do realize the consequences for lower tire pressure (Safety, performance and tire wear) Still, I am amazed how well these tires perform even when lowering the air to 30lbs.

When I get 2-3k miles on these tires as they break-in, I will most likely bump up the air pressure-I guess I just love a comfortable ride.

For comparison, I’ve had the Yokohama and Bridgestone Serenity Plus on my GS430, and currently have the Bridgestone Serenity Plus on the Camry. I have had the Michelins MXV4, which is good tire, on my both my Volvo’s. The LS had the Bridgestone Turanza EL42s. So far I would have to say the Pirelli P7s are a better tire for comfort, noise and overall handling. Here are a few pics of the tire on 19s.
Attached Thumbnails Replaced the Bridgestones with a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus-pirelli-p7.jpg   Replaced the Bridgestones with a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus-ls2.jpg   Replaced the Bridgestones with a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus-ls1.jpg  
Old 03-02-16, 05:55 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 341 Posts

retlex

I think you are going to really like these tires. I sure do.

Dennis
Old 03-02-16, 06:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I continue to really like mine too. I run them about 31 PSI
Old 03-02-16, 11:14 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

So much good feedback here but given my inability to source the P7s and the nearly constant summer like weather conditions here I'm seriously considering the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Positions. Curious if anyone here has experience with them against the P7? I know they are in different categories but Tire Rack has them rated pretty close sans snow which really doesn't matter given the oh say paradise I have to deal with constantly.
Old 03-03-16, 06:56 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Well the live data is adding up......real data from Club Lexus members. The P7's are being bought in many different sizes and still getting very good feed back. I still only have 6k miles on my weekend cruiser.....but the P7s make her a joy to drive.......
Old 03-03-16, 07:05 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 341 Posts

Dr J

Not a problem by the time you seen snow in paradise the light rail will be done out to Hawaii Kai.

Dennis
Old 03-03-16, 07:47 AM
retlex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position is speed rated Y (186mph) which means a stiffer sidewall. For example, the next step down would be W (168mph), then V (149mph) which the LS came with. As the speed rating goes up the sidewall becomes more rigid. Y and W are normally associated with exotic sports cars, while V rated is for the sedan catagory. I was going to order the Bridgestone Serenity Plus for the LS, but in the size 245/ 45 -19 it was a W rated tire, meaning stiffer sidewall or harsher ride. I also recall this W rating (245/ 40-18) when they were on the GS430. I also remember how they felt. Unless they are properly inflated to 33lbs, they are going to roll in the curve. Not a lot, but enough to notice. Nevertheless, I choose this tire and lowered the tire pressure because I wanted a quiet and smooth ride and my choices were limited. Again, this comes down to personal preference. How do you want your LS to ride. You can buy a higher rating (beside the V if came with), but it will be a stiffer tire, and it may compromise the ride quality. The nice thing about tire rack is that they will take back the tires if they have 10/32 of tread left and stating that your not satisfied with the tire purchase.
Old 03-03-16, 07:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
So much good feedback here but given my inability to source the P7s and the nearly constant summer like weather conditions here I'm seriously considering the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Positions. Curious if anyone here has experience with them against the P7? I know they are in different categories but Tire Rack has them rated pretty close sans snow which really doesn't matter given the oh say paradise I have to deal with constantly.
They wouldn't be what I would choose but I'm a ride biased guy, and I want the best riding tires possible. Yours is an F Sport, and I'm sure those UHP Bridgestones will handle sharper and better.

I know you can't get the Pirellis, but if I remember correctly you can get Toyos? If you want the characteristics of the Pirellis I would get a set of Toyo Versado Noir.
Old 03-03-16, 09:16 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Dr J

Not a problem by the time you seen snow in paradise the light rail will be done out to Hawaii Kai.

Dennis
HAHAHAHAHAHA ain't that the truth!!!
Old 03-03-16, 09:17 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by retlex
The Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position is speed rated Y (186mph) which means a stiffer sidewall. For example, the next step down would be W (168mph), then V (149mph) which the LS came with. As the speed rating goes up the sidewall becomes more rigid. Y and W are normally associated with exotic sports cars, while V rated is for the sedan catagory. I was going to order the Bridgestone Serenity Plus for the LS, but in the size 245/ 45 -19 it was a W rated tire, meaning stiffer sidewall or harsher ride. I also recall this W rating (245/ 40-18) when they were on the GS430. I also remember how they felt. Unless they are properly inflated to 33lbs, they are going to roll in the curve. Not a lot, but enough to notice. Nevertheless, I choose this tire and lowered the tire pressure because I wanted a quiet and smooth ride and my choices were limited. Again, this comes down to personal preference. How do you want your LS to ride. You can buy a higher rating (beside the V if came with), but it will be a stiffer tire, and it may compromise the ride quality. The nice thing about tire rack is that they will take back the tires if they have 10/32 of tread left and stating that your not satisfied with the tire purchase.
Good info to consider. Thanks for taking the time to post this.
Old 03-03-16, 09:19 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
They wouldn't be what I would choose but I'm a ride biased guy, and I want the best riding tires possible. Yours is an F Sport, and I'm sure those UHP Bridgestones will handle sharper and better.

I know you can't get the Pirellis, but if I remember correctly you can get Toyos? If you want the characteristics of the Pirellis I would get a set of Toyo Versado Noir.
Thanks Steve but the Toyos don't come in 19" sizes, I can get the Pirellis but at a much higher cost. Looks like that may be the option. My search continues.
Old 03-03-16, 09:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Thanks Steve but the Toyos don't come in 19" sizes, I can get the Pirellis but at a much higher cost. Looks like that may be the option. My search continues.
Hmm...

Yeah tires for these are tough with the wheel sizes they come in. Not a lot of great comfortable choices...
Old 03-06-16, 12:58 AM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't bought tires in awhile, but I've heard many raves about the Pirelli P7.

Having said that, I had a set of Continental Premier Contact tires that were worst tires I've ever owned...so much so I'd probably never consider a set from Continental. YMMV.

Quick Reply: Replaced the Bridgestones with a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus