LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2013 LS Transmission Pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-18, 11:12 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by reg331
Good Luck! Mine was so bad to the point, Lexus finally agreed to replace the transmission. They cannot replace the transmission pump alone. So I was told, they replaced the entire transmission. Within 2 months, the noise was back. In speaking to the mechanic, he explained the transmission pump is defective and Lexus will not spend the money to re-design a pump and then replace thousands of transmissions. Too bad because I will not purchase another Lexus. Then you have these Lexus employees get on this forum and say General Motors is installing Lexus transmissions in their Cadillacs. Who cares, I just want the transmission in my Lexus LS which costs me over $70,000 to perform like a luxury vehicle.

Best advice, write to cooperate headquarters and let them know your displeasure with the car.

Good Luck and keep us all informed.
Can't they just put in a new pump for you instead of redesigning a new one? I have not heard of many complaints about the transmission making noise from other owners.
Old 01-15-18, 07:29 AM
jarm
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus is turning into second rate auto

I really hope Lexus reads these posts because they need to. I have had four Lexus's. I have been more than pleased with every one except my 2013. There is no excuse with the whining from the transmission and the clatter from the lifters. Most of the time the people who buy Lexus cars are highly intelligent people who want a great luxury car. To be told some lame BS about your product and expect us to believe it is unacceptable. No problem Lexus. If you read this we will just buy something else.
Look, fix your problem. You want your outrageous claims how great you are then fix your problems. Excuse me what is the address of the BMW dealership.
Old 01-15-18, 11:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Looking through TSB's last night there is a TSB out for this issue...
Old 01-16-18, 07:07 AM
jarm
Pit Crew

Default Tsb

Could you post the TSB report. I need it for my dealership.
Old 01-16-18, 07:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I don’t have a subscription to any service where I can get it, but if you google “2013 LS460 TSB” there are lots of databases where you can see it and subscribe in order to get a print out of the TSB.

It addresses soecifically whining from the transmission at low speeds in RWD cars.
Old 01-16-18, 11:03 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Excuse me what is the address of the BMW dealership
Not sure what you meant by this comment, but if you're suggesting that a BMW's transmission is more reliable, you clearly have never owned one. LOL. I've owned two, and usually the transmission is one of the first things to go. The engine is often first to fail, but the trans is not far behind. In my case, the engine (4.6 liter) was hooped at 45k miles and the transmission at 50k miles. Further, this transmission issue on Steve's car is not commonplace.
Old 01-16-18, 04:32 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

Sorry, I am just ranting since I am old. I would never buy a BMW maybe a Infinity.
Old 01-17-18, 07:05 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by jarm
Sorry, I am just ranting since I am old. I would never buy a BMW maybe a Infinity.
Understood. lol
Old 01-19-18, 07:52 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by jarm
Could you post the TSB report. I need it for my dealership.
Ask them for L-SB-0103-14. They did the update on mine and it got rid of most of the whine.
Old 01-22-18, 05:19 AM
reg331
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TSB that everyone is referring to will NOT completely repair the transmission whining your are hearing. In my case, the noise from the transmission pump was so loud that Lexus authorized the dealer to replace the entire transmission...so they say. They cannot just replace the pump for some strange reason. In any case, within a month the noise was back and Lexus just refused to deal with the issue a second time and I have a Certified Lexus. I was told by the Service Manager this is a problem with most LS 460s and he does not see Lexus paying the money to redesign the transmission pump since it is not a safety issue but an annoyance issue. That's fine, after owning 2 other Lexus LS, I will not be purchasing another.
Old 01-22-18, 10:55 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by reg331
Lexus finally agreed to replace the transmission. They cannot replace the transmission pump alone. So I was told, they replaced the entire transmission.
Well, the transmission can be rebuilt with a new pump, but Lexus won't do this "in the field".
Old 01-22-18, 11:20 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Bulletin.... AA80E
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...61741-2273.pdf
Old 01-22-18, 12:57 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

While I respect anyone's desire to have a completely quiet LS, I have such a poor opinion of all dealers, that for me a problem must be either critical, or close to critical before I will let a "technician" touch my vehicle(s). I can tolerate a bit of noise because most dealers are just going to make things worse. In my experience working as an engineer for OEMs (including Toyota), the things that go on at dealerships range from inept to criminal. Nothing better than inept. Don't get me wrong. Within some dealers, maybe most dealers, there are some staff who may actually care. But they are dwarfed by those that don't know whether to wind their butt or scratch their watch. Or are there to remove every dollar possible from you and that is all. The fewer trips I can make to a dealer, the better off my vehicle(s) and my state of mind will be. So, even if my transmission makes some noise, I will just live with it.

Right now, it *seems* quiet to me. But I have been conditioned by driving a 2000 Dodge Ram with a Cummins diesel.

Jason Oliver
Old 01-30-18, 02:36 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by retlex
I bought a 2011 LS460 L with 29k as a CPO. As far as the wind noise, it has dual pane windows for all four doors and it is very quiet. I did notice, however, on my 4 hour drive home, a whining noise from the transmission. This moderate whine was mostly noticed at acceleration, but never completely went away quieting down to a faint whine when reaching cruising speeds. I complained to the service manager and I was told it was normal. Now, I will fast forward my 2 1/2 month story to give you the end result - Lexus did replace my transmission with a new transmission.

After all was said and done, and after meeting with the Lexus Regional Representative, the service manager who initially claimed the noise was normal, now said, “this is a process”. Basically, what the service manager was saying is that the noise from my car was acceptable and within the noise tolerances of Lexus, however, because I was persistent and got the Lexus Regional Representative involved (who agreed the whine from the transmission planetary gears was noticeable and could be quieter, and for customer satisfaction) Lexus agreed to replace the transmission. Persistence is the key, be patient, document, and don’t get upset.

I am glad I made the effort to ask to meet with the Lexus Regional Representative. The transmission upon acceleration is very quiet and at cruising speeds absolutely quiet, the way an LS should be.

So I just bought a 2014 LS460 and notice a distinct whine from the transmission.
Sorry to know it's a problem...glad to know the might be a happy resolution.
Old 07-12-18, 02:20 PM
SatComm302
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update:

I had my 2013 L repaired under the TSB a few months ago at a different dealership and it has helped considerably. As I had previously stated, the whining was driving me nuts. I can barely hear it now and only when I listen for it with the radio turned down. I was contemplating selling before the repair. Now, I have forgotten all about it. It’s not an issue any more. If anyone is thinking about getting the repair, you have nothing to lose but the whining.

Shout out to JT at Lexus of Clear Lake for taking care of me

Originally Posted by SatComm302
I'm experiencing this exact same engine whine in my 2013 LS460L. Here are my contacts and progression:

1. While in for service earlier this year, I notified the dealership that I was experiencing a loud engine-type whine at lower speeds that seemed to follow the engine PRMs and transmission shifts. When I picked it up the car, they said they couldn't hear it or duplicate it.
2. Made an appointment with the dealership Service Director and he and the Head Shop Foreman drove the car. Both stated they could hear the whine. The SD said he would set up an appointment with the Lexus Regional Rep. He called a few days later and we set up an appointment for four weeks later.
3. Met with Lexus Regional Rep and he and I drove my car for a good 20 minutes and said he also could hear the whine, understood my concern, and would set up an appointment with the Field Technician. The SD called a few days later and made an appointment with the FT for a few weeks later.
4. Met with the Head Shop Foreman, the Service Director and the Field Technician (I'm glad I have the LS), and we all took a joy ride for another 20 minutes with the Field Technician driving. The FT said he could hear the whine, but "it's normal and within Lexus tolerances." I told him it wasn't normal because I've driven three other 2013 and 2014 LS's and didn't hear it a single time. He apologized a few times, but wouldn't budge and kept saying that he could only fix it if it got worse. I replied that I thought it was already incredibly distracting with driving 550 to 600 miles a week and I didn't think it could get any worse. I told him I was frustrated at this level of transient noise from the Lexus Flagship sedan. He agreed, but would only say that he could fix it if it got worse. So, I'm stuck. This last meeting was in September, 2017.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Should my next step be Lexus Corporate? I'm getting ready to trade this beauty in for something else, but I don't want to do that; I LOVE this car! Unfortunately, I can't "unhear" this freaking noise!

Quick Reply: 2013 LS Transmission Pump