LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

So I went for a test drive ... also looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-15, 02:33 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Okay maybe that was a poor example on my end. No I will not spend $21k on a 430 and yes a car that sits can be in worse shape than one that's regularly driven. I think I would be looking more at something that's closer to $15k or under with 40k or less miles.

The issue with a 460 is that even at $25k I will probably not find a low-mile example. So either I get a higher mileage 460 for more or a lower mileage 430 for less. As for the Avalon, although it might make good financial sense, that car does absolutely nothing for me. To me it's akin to a Camry or an Accord.
Old 12-10-15, 02:46 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Okay maybe that was a poor example on my end. No I will not spend $21k on a 430 and yes a car that sits can be in worse shape than one that's regularly driven. I think I would be looking more at something that's closer to $15k or under with 40k or less miles.

The issue with a 460 is that even at $25k I will probably not find a low-mile example. So either I get a higher mileage 460 for more or a lower mileage 430 for less. As for the Avalon, although it might make good financial sense, that car does absolutely nothing for me. To me it's akin to a Camry or an Accord.
Ok here's some suggestions...2012 Chrysler 300...8 speed transmission, excellent highway mileage, very quiet car inside, surprisingly reliable. 2012 Hyundai Azera...actually looks like a Lexus, 290 horse power, 0-6 in 6.2, 30 mpg on the highway, excellent warranty, very reliable/underrated car. Both can be had for 15-16k. And both run on regular fuel. Acura TL...reliable, many are available and you can get one in your price range. Lexus ES350 - 28mpg highway, regular fuel, pretty quiet, nice car, good acceleration, very reliable, parts are reasonable and there are millions available in the 12-15k dollar range. Audi A4- millions available in the 15k dollar range, good gas mileage, quick, handle great and you said you can work on cars...
Old 12-10-15, 03:17 PM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

NADA clean retail for that 2005 LS430 is $19750 so the price is in the ballpark. If the car was driven consistently over its life you don't have as much to worry about. My LS was only driven about 2,000 miles per year before I bought it and I've encountered zero problems. I've done that with a few different vehicles. You will suffer depreciation as you drive it, but not to the degree of a newer car....and if you are going to keep it for the long term you shouldn't worry about that anyway.
Old 12-10-15, 05:47 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
I think I would be looking more at something that's closer to $15k or under with 40k or less miles.

As for the Avalon, although it might make good financial sense, that car does absolutely nothing for me. To me it's akin to a Camry or an Accord.
Maybe I was mistaken, but I thought you mentioned a Camry might be in the running for your commuter car. I only point out the Avalon because it's an often overlooked, very nice car. If you haven't driven a 2013 or newer iteration, it's worth your time. And it happens to come pretty close to your recently-stated $15k allowance. I have no interest in "selling" you one - I don't even own one myself (although my daughter has a Gen 2, which is another animal). But I beg to differ that it's akin to a Camry or Accord ... it's a league above. A blindfold test in a Limited version might surprise you compared to an LS 430.
Old 12-10-15, 06:08 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zippinbye
Maybe I was mistaken, but I thought you mentioned a Camry might be in the running for your commuter car. I only point out the Avalon because it's an often overlooked, very nice car. If you haven't driven a 2013 or newer iteration, it's worth your time. And it happens to come pretty close to your recently-stated $15k allowance. I have no interest in "selling" you one - I don't even own one myself (although my daughter has a Gen 2, which is another animal). But I beg to differ that it's akin to a Camry or Accord ... it's a league above. A blindfold test in a Limited version might surprise you compared to an LS 430.
Yeah the newer Avalons look nice...a cheaper alternative to the new ES350's.
Old 12-10-15, 07:17 PM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread as I just had my '05 430 stolen (very upset...it only had 80K miles).

If I were in your situation, I would look at an '05 with less than 100k miles. I would also stay away from the ULTRA. It is famous for having issues with those crazy expensive air shocks and you will find dozens of threads in the 430 section dealing with replacing them for regular shocks.

You will get a much better value if you can find a "Modern Luxury" model, which has all the important options like nav and backup camera, bluetooth, "push button" (not really...you have to turn the ignition, but you keep the fob in your pocket) ignition and Levinson sound. The other model is the "Sport" model... very similar to Modern Luxury, but with the better looking 18 inch rims. Having owned both, I would opt for the nerdy small rims and the superior ride the extra rubber gives.

There are plenty of great examples online for under 15k and nothing should be more than 18k. I certainly wouldn't pay 18k for one.

Just make sure before you buy anything that the timing belt was replaced at the recommended 90k interval. If you find one with less than 90k and there are plenty out there, ask if it's been replaced. If not, point out the around $1,500 - $1,700 procedure that will need to happen. You will need to replace the timing belt and water pump. The water pump is not really needed, but I always did it. because if it fails later, you're looking at removing the timing belt to replace it!
Old 12-10-15, 08:48 PM
Nospinzone

Received 427 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by mannye
I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread as I just had my '05 430 stolen (very upset...it only had 80K miles).
Very sorry to hear that. It really sucks.

I hope it can be found in the same condition you left it.
Old 06-05-16, 05:58 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
I would recommend any LS with under 100K in your price range. Although I lean towards the 2000 LS. Further, a 04-06 LS with less than 100K would be a nice stable-mate to a 460. On another note, an RL from the same period with sub 100K miles may be the better buy.
Nothing wrong with owning 2 LS's
Attached Thumbnails So I went for a test drive ... also looking for suggestions-cimg0500a.jpg   So I went for a test drive ... also looking for suggestions-img_0594.jpg  
Old 06-06-16, 10:42 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by bsl888
Nothing wrong with owning 2 LS's
Haha....nice.

So which is your favorite?
Old 06-06-16, 02:10 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

I'll be honest. For a long commute, I think I would crush miles on a lesser expensive vehicle. However, I totally see the comfort and safety aspect pointing it back to a larger vehicle.

If it were me, I would be taking a long hard look at the GS vehicles. I actually quite LOVE about every GS vehicle, 350, 430, 460. A GS 460 would be a hoot IMO. Safe, attractive, likely less expensive.
Old 06-06-16, 02:56 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
I'll be honest. For a long commute, I think I would crush miles on a lesser expensive vehicle. However, I totally see the comfort and safety aspect pointing it back to a larger vehicle.

If it were me, I would be taking a long hard look at the GS vehicles. I actually quite LOVE about every GS vehicle, 350, 430, 460. A GS 460 would be a hoot IMO. Safe, attractive, likely less expensive.
GS460 are pretty scarce and usually command a price premium over a similarly equipped LS.

LS is a great light traffic commuter. I do 150mi+ on mine on any given workday.
Old 06-06-16, 03:05 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
GS460 are pretty scarce and usually command a price premium over a similarly equipped LS.

Yeah, seems i've read that before now that you mention it. The scarcity would be a good reason to find one ... but the price premium would not. Seems I read the GS 430 is among the most bullet proof of all Lexus vehicles. I cannot explain why, but I am drawn to GS vehicles. They look great, really good proportions.

7milesout
Old 06-06-16, 03:26 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
Yeah, seems i've read that before now that you mention it. The scarcity would be a good reason to find one ... but the price premium would not. Seems I read the GS 430 is among the most bullet proof of all Lexus vehicles. I cannot explain why, but I am drawn to GS vehicles. They look great, really good proportions.

7milesout
They're also detuned from what I understand. 340HP vs 380HP in the LS.

The 3GS 430 are great cars but you run into that whole "timing belt vs timing chain" issue again and are also going back to a 6spd auto from the 8spd.

Truth be told I was originally looking for a 3GS or 4GS but quickly realized that looking for anything but a 350 was going to be an exhaustive search for the right car.

I figured the flagship car would likely yield less variance (Let's face it, a "base model" 4LS is at least as loaded as most other new "loaded" cars, and therefore easier to peg what a "fair" price is depending on mileage and vintage.
Old 06-06-16, 04:50 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

Maybe the LS you drove didnt have a OEM windshield? thus the wind noise?

The LS30 is really quiet- its pretty much the same feeling as the ls460 but probably more solid all around. If you pick up a 05-06 there are hardly any problems with those.

I owned a ls430 before & 2 of my friends still do, one has a ultra luxuary and the other has the comfort package. They are both close to 200k one of the might be in the 250 ballpark..usual brake/engine oil and timing belt changes not a single issue.

LS430 is a far superior car than the accord probably much safer too. I really thought the ls430 absorbed bumps and imperfections better than the 460 does.

i would say go for it you can find a decent mileage 05/06 for about 15-17 k or so.
Old 06-06-16, 05:32 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by litesoarer

150 miles a day? Wow you've got me beat, I'm in the "80 miles a day ballpark". How many miles are on your car?

And you're right, the LS 460 is a great light traffic commuter. I personally think this may be the best commuter car I've ever driven...the gas mileage is very competitive...the highway ride is stable and easy...the power is always there when you need it and the comfort is top notch. Great commuter. Plus the car can steer like a much smaller car...makes parking a breeze. I've averaged 27 mpg for the last month, as soon as the weather got warmer my mileage jumped from 26 to 27.

Last edited by Doublebase; 06-06-16 at 05:36 PM.

Quick Reply: So I went for a test drive ... also looking for suggestions