LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Any thoughts on this service history?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-15, 12:27 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Any thoughts on this service history?

As the title says, any thoughts or red flags from this service history? Few things that concern me is that no air shocks have been replaced yet, no control arm replacement, no transfer case fluid change, there was some electrical smell at 35k miles, and at 50k says that the car was hit in the left front wheel (no clue what that means exactly).

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SH.pdf (96.6 KB, 216 views)
Old 12-14-15, 12:51 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mileage and dates look weird. It's almost as if the car sat in the garage last few years, yet the problems and dealer visits were in line with a car that's used for livery service which many here in NYC are. If I'm right, it's possible the mileage was rolled. Not uncommon because it easy for these guys to do 200-300k miles in a few years after which it's impossible to sell the car.
Is the car black?

Also, why would you want to buy a car from NYC? We have some of the worst roads here, traffic is insane and plenty of salt come winter time.

My GS430 I got from Milwaukee, lady owned, summer car. Was like new.
My LS460, from Rhode Island, small town, car used to travel from Naples FL to RI.

Both cars were mint. I checked Lexus history before buying.

Last edited by tbilisi79; 12-14-15 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-14-15, 01:16 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

The thing I found strange was the fact that there is no mention or tire rotations. That, and no transfer case fluid change, but I believe that wasn't done unless there was a vibration reported by the customer/owner.
There is also a nearly 1.5 year gad between June 2014 and November 2015 where it was only driven 237 miles.
Not sure to be concerned about the controls arms, but a strange thing is that in Jan of 2011 @ 46.5K, he had Lexus install 2 new front tires.
The next mention of tires would be 2 years later in Jan of 2013 @ 49.9K, approximately only ~3,400 miles later when he was hit in the front wheel, but they state that the suspension was ok.
But only a year later with about 6K miles on the car, Lexus states that all 4 tires need to be replaced...why/how?
There are 2 front tires that are practically brand new, but I guess there is the possibility that they may have dead spots in them from the car not being driven that much.
Hard to say but as im sure you know, the tire and vibration anomaly can be a precursor to front end suspension problems, even though it says that it was checked in Jan of 2013 and said to be fine.
With it sitting and the cold warm cycles, its possible the control arms need attention due to the bushings being in bad shape.
Another thing I can tell you, being a native of NY, is that between the stop and go traffic and the roads, its not the most gentle of geographic regions on cars.
Though Massapequa is a bit on the out skirts of the city, and roads are better, they're still not the best.
Also, either the vehicle was sold to someone who lived in Queens or the owner moved, because the dealerships are about an hour apart.
Another reason that solidifies the vehicle sitting quite a bit, is that, obviously, this being a NY vehicle, and Queens being it residence for the last 5 years and it only being driven about a bit over 11K miles, the owner more than likely used public transit quite often or worked from home.
Bottom line is that the vehicle sat a good amount over the last 5 years, and a solid inspection would need to be performed.
Its probably in great condition, but getting underneath it would be of paramount importance.
Hope that helped some, and of course, good luck.
Old 12-14-15, 01:25 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

The seller says that he is selling it for his uncle who was in an accident and has been paralyzed. Hence he can no longer drive the car.

Yeah I know would be a bunch of hogwash, but when I bought my 460 I was told that it was owned by a very wealthy CEO who made sure to have all service done by a Lexus dealer. Turns out it was actually owned by a very wealthy CEO, so you can't always completely discount those stories.

BTW the accident was not in this car.
Old 12-14-15, 01:38 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

His story may actually pose to be quite accurate, however, I'd still have concern about the rate at which the car sat, the "N.Y. treatment" and its overall condition.
It sounds as if this is a private seller.
I would request a copious amount of photos as well as a dealership inspection-nothing, im sure you wouldn't proceed without anyway.
If the car seems to be in great condition and checks out...a 600hL in solid condition??
I'd pull the trigger.
Old 12-14-15, 01:44 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

It's priced at a smidgen over $30k, so not bad on that front.

And yes, private seller and here are the pics http://postimg.org/gallery/15vnmvfcm/f8ce5c15/

I doubt the car was used as a livery vehicle since the seats look to be in pretty good shape.
Old 12-14-15, 01:53 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Here's another interesting one. Looks like it had its transfer case replaced and I am not quite sure, but is that body work at 36k? Also seems like an intermittent O2 sensor issue.

Now that I look at this history again, I would probably pass on this one.
Attached Files
SH2.pdf (89.0 KB, 189 views)
Old 12-14-15, 04:39 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
It's priced at a smidgen over $30k, so not bad on that front.

And yes, private seller and here are the pics http://postimg.org/gallery/15vnmvfcm/f8ce5c15/

I doubt the car was used as a livery vehicle since the seats look to be in pretty good shape.
That's high for a private party sale. Should be looking about low-mid 20s for a 60,000 mile car equipped like that in perfect condition.
Old 12-15-15, 06:24 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Originally Posted by sktn77a
That's high for a private party sale. Should be looking about low-mid 20s for a 60,000 mile car equipped like that in perfect condition.
Mid 20s for a 600 with 60k miles?
Old 12-15-15, 06:49 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

I must be looking at a different PDF. The car I see is from the left coast. Started life in CA and is in Washington State. Am I missing something?
Old 12-15-15, 07:21 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

I posted two service histories, one in the first post and another one in post #7. I was briefly considering the second car because it's a 2010 and can be had for $30k, but the fact that there was in some accident with potentially major damage made me reconsider.
Old 12-15-15, 07:43 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Perhaps im simply out of touch, but a 600, I believe an 08, with only 60k on the clock, you feel is high for private sale at 30k?
I think low 20's is a bit of a reach, but a solid 26k would be fantastic.
I haven't priced 600's, but going off of the trend of 460's right now, in that age group, I don't think the asking price is that far off.
Drop it a few grand and it'd be a good deal, given its in solid condition.
Old 12-15-15, 08:17 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 229 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Mid 20s for a 600 with 60k miles?
The prices for the 2008 LS600hL's (and probably the 2008 LS460s) has really dropped over the past year and a half. I paid $42K for a 2008 w/58K miles a year and a half ago, and it seemed to be a fair deal at the time. It was a 1-owner with a great history, and I bought it from a Lexus dealer as a CPO, which I'm sure added to the cost quite a bit. It's somewhat discouraging seeing the exact same car selling for mid-20s now, but not much I can do about it now (other than continue to drive/love my LS600hL!).

This may be a very good time to buy an LS600! Can't see the prices dropping too much further in the next couple of years, and if you can find a pristine example that has been babied, you'll get many years of use for a fairly low investment.
Old 12-15-15, 08:52 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Now this is a service history that I like. Anyone notice anything funny here?

Rick, I certainly agree that these cars have come down even further in the recent times, but I am very doubtful that you will find a great example of a 600 with relatively low miles in the mid 20s.
Attached Files
SH3.pdf (96.0 KB, 155 views)
Old 12-15-15, 10:57 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

Lots of car washes. The last time 3 times I was at Lexus getting service work done, they weren't able to wash my car. Excuses! The car, short of some bumper repair looks nice. Major stuff has been done.

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on this service history?