LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Vibration at highway speed - are those tread wear normal ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-15, 06:21 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Vibration at highway speed - are those tread wear normal ?

Since I got my car back from the dealership after changing the rear shock this summer, I can feel a vibration in the car at highway speed. After the shock were replaced the car steering wheel was out of balance and pulling one side. After they attempt to align the car about 5 times it got a little bit better. Then I found out that they had an accident with my car and tried to hide it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...on-camera.html

I suspect the tie rod may have been damaged so that could explain the steering issue. It also seems to have gotten worse over time. I'm trying to figure out the possible cause, if directly related to the tie rod damage or indirectly as if the tie rod damage could have caused uneven tire wear and then causing the vibration over time. I've attached some pictures, the 2 first are from the front passenger side, the 2 last from the front driver side. My tire are the Michelin pilot and this thread seems to suggest those tire might be hard to align properly: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...er-things.html

I'm due for my winter tire change soon and see if thing gets better, I'll get them balanced too. I'll check at the same time for control arms/shock damage. But still, I would like some feedback and see if those tread wear are normal and hopefully get to the root of the problem (the outer edge on the tire in the back are much less damaged).
Attached Thumbnails Vibration at highway speed - are those tread wear normal ?-img_20151216_085313.jpg   Vibration at highway speed - are those tread wear normal ?-img_20151216_085340.jpg   Vibration at highway speed - are those tread wear normal ?-img_20151216_085417.jpg   Vibration at highway speed - are those tread wear normal ?-img_20151216_085423.jpg  
Old 12-16-15, 08:59 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Vansibel
Since I got my car back from the dealership after changing the rear shock this summer, I can feel a vibration in the car at highway speed. After the shock were replaced the car steering wheel was out of balance and pulling one side. After they attempt to align the car about 5 times it got a little bit better. Then I found out that they had an accident with my car and tried to hide it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...on-camera.html

I suspect the tie rod may have been damaged so that could explain the steering issue. It also seems to have gotten worse over time. I'm trying to figure out the possible cause, if directly related to the tie rod damage or indirectly as if the tie rod damage could have caused uneven tire wear and then causing the vibration over time. I've attached some pictures, the 2 first are from the front passenger side, the 2 last from the front driver side. My tire are the Michelin pilot and this thread seems to suggest those tire might be hard to align properly: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...er-things.html

I'm due for my winter tire change soon and see if thing gets better, I'll get them balanced too. I'll check at the same time for control arms/shock damage. But still, I would like some feedback and see if those tread wear are normal and hopefully get to the root of the problem (the outer edge on the tire in the back are much less damaged).
First thing I'd do is get a four wheel alignment. I had a similar wear to yours and when I had my alignment done, it was way out of spec. My tires are now wearing evenly.