LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus Enform Service Connect: Big Brother is Watching

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-15, 12:01 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Lexus Enform Service Connect: Big Brother is Watching

I'll be honest, this car is a bit overwhelming versus what I had. I'm still trying to learn it.

One thing I'm playing with now are the Lexus mobile apps and service connect app. In fact there are three apps, one for service connect, one for safety (remote start/stop) and one for the app suite.

Why they chose to litter my phone with three separate apps instead of unifying it under one is anyone's guess.

All-in-all I personally find them pretty amazing. Being able to see where my car is, alerts if my windows are open, remote start/stop and seeing the vehicle status are all great features. I can access all of these things through three separate apps.

But that begs the question, I feel like I'm being watched. While I personally don't have an issue with this and I would imagine that sacrificing some privacy is definitely needed to get it, I'm sure there are others who might find it intrusive.

Old 12-20-15, 01:11 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Yes you are being watched by your cell phone, credit card and EZ pass so enjoy your Lexus Enform....... There are so many ways you are being tracked without your knowledge such as license plate readers on major roadways like the NJ Turnpike, Garden State Parkway to name a few.
BTW! Your insurance company loves the LS because they can find if it gets stolen.
Old 12-20-15, 01:13 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

You already sacrificed your privacy with your smartphone. There nothing more your car does than your phone already dont' do. One drawback in this application though is that Lexus or insurance company might use this information to void warranty. They already can by extracting the information from the car blackbox, but I can see why doing so wirelessly would be much more convenient. Those feature are cool and convenient, but at a cost.
Old 12-20-15, 01:39 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Kind of a scary thought.

I never read the fine print, but I wonder if third parties (like insurance companies) can access the data my car produces.

While I'm not worried as I drive like a 40 year old grandpa who hasn't been ticketed in over a decade, lol, I should go back and read the fine print.

The service connect said it will send me monthly reports, kind of weird too. "Hello, this is your car and you forgot to change my oil," lol.

Yeah, the days of privacy, or what we perceive as privacy are gone.
Old 12-20-15, 02:28 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Shambler
Kind of a scary thought.

I never read the fine print, but I wonder if third parties (like insurance companies) can access the data my car produces.

While I'm not worried as I drive like a 40 year old grandpa who hasn't been ticketed in over a decade, lol, I should go back and read the fine print.

The service connect said it will send me monthly reports, kind of weird too. "Hello, this is your car and you forgot to change my oil," lol.

Yeah, the days of privacy, or what we perceive as privacy are gone.
Hey. I resemble that 40 year old grampa remark. Hahaha. Literally.
Old 12-20-15, 05:14 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Lol sorry, figure of speech.
Old 12-21-15, 04:59 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

I just read through the service agreement and privacy statement of the service connect.

It can be found here: http://www.lexus.com/enform/document...ng_t_and_c.pdf

It's actually pretty scary.

1. They can and do monitor how you interact with the car, including, but not limited to the main interface, buttons pushed, etc.

2. They can and do record voice conversations with any Lexus service and Lexus service third party providers. We give consent for ALL vehicle occupants, although that seems strange as if I'm riding in my friend's car, I didn't have the service agreement nor give consent. Now, what is to stop them from turning on that record feature even if I'm not directly talking to them? Can you imagine being eavesdropped by your car lol?

3. They can and do share all of the telemetry data, including speed, RPM, position, etc., with third parties. They were fairly explicit in stating that this covers third parties that are pertinent to the service and operation of the vehicle, but added that "and others" at the end, which to me is wide open and at Lexus' discretion. In fact, they were clear in stating that the list is not exhaustive.

So there you have it, some database somewhere is recording any and all telemetry data this car produces, including voice conversations.
Old 12-21-15, 06:46 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

No matter where you go, Big Brother is watching. Lexus is but one of a few gazillion companies watching every step you take. Ever been on a website browsing for an item and a few minutes later, there is an ad for the same item on the next site you visit? Let's face it. We are a part of George Orwell's nineteen-eighty-four. While he was well ahead of his time having written the book back in the late 40's, perhaps he really meant 2014.

Trust me, we ARE being watched!
Old 12-21-15, 06:54 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Trust me, we ARE being watched!
Those watching me must be soooo bored. LOL.

I have no issue with any of this.
Old 12-21-15, 06:58 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Those watching me must be soooo bored. LOL.

I have no issue with any of this.
Neither do I. I have nothing to hide and, who knows, one day they may show me an ad of something I'll buy. lol
Old 01-11-16, 09:16 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The monthly reports are nothing new. My 2009 G8 with OnStar sent me monthly reports. They never said anything interesting.

When I'm in my car, I'm in public. I can be tracked in many different ways by government or business. What I would object to is anything that could track my activities in private, such as when I'm inside my home. In public, I really don't care much.

If I cared, I would have chosen a different car... mine is one of the few 2008s with Lexus Link, and although I've never had a membership the car still has all the telemetry capabilities and still talks to Lexus.