LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

head unit removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-15, 12:49 PM
Zeke21
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default head unit removal

does anyone know whether I'll be required to enter any code if I replace me head unit/stereo with another? I don't want to lock myself out or buy a used one with a code, if one is needed.

Trying to solve my audio cutting out and it may in fact be my head unit going bad. Had the amp at UR and they said amp is good.

Thank you.
Old 12-23-15, 01:22 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I thought UR serviced head units as well?

I think I recall another member here stating that they had a similar issue, but their issue was that the steering where mounted buttons worked but had shorting issues when trying to utilize the volume ****.
If I remember correctly, it was that the wire than enabled volume control was loose.
Once tightened, it functioned as normal.
Old 12-23-15, 05:42 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

No code required. Codes are rarely used now that the DIN HU standard has been abandoned.
Old 12-24-15, 08:36 AM
Zeke21
Driver

They do and I'll probably send mine into them. I don't mind picking up a spare used unit to hook up and determine if the head unit is in fact the issue.

My issue is audio dropping within 15 mins of use. It slowly fades out until you can not hear it anymore. Prior it would cut out almost as if it had a bad connection or if you had bad radio reception but not it slowly just fades...almost as if something is dying.

here are a few videos I posted in another thread. Like I said this was a while ago...now it slowly fades to nothing vs just dropping.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9257435
Old 12-25-15, 07:29 AM
Unsober1
Pole Position

I'm not an electronics expert, but I would say there is a bad electrical component. As it is being used, faulty part is heating up and shorting out or causing an overload. If we knew exactly what to look for, I would guess the part would cost no more than a few bucks, or even less. But the hundreds you will pay someone to fix it goes to their to pay for their expertise and service. I love and hate electronics!
Old 12-25-15, 08:47 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Call United Radio in Syracuse, NY........ The Lexus radio experts.
Call them first (ask to speak to a tech) to see what they have to say and tell them you had the amp repaired by them...... Hopefully they treat you right and tell you how to isolate the steering wheel switches from the head or troubleshoot this problem without sending the head to them because the problem may not be in the head unit.
Does this problem happen when the car is sitting in park and hands off the steering wheel?

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 12-25-15 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-25-15, 09:19 AM
Zeke21
Driver

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
Call United Radio in Syracuse, NY........ The Lexus radio experts.
Call them first (ask to speak to a tech) to see what they have to say and tell them you had the amp repaired by them...... Hopefully they treat you right and tell you how to isolate the steering wheel switches from the head or troubleshoot this problem without sending the head to them because the problem may not be in the head unit.
Does this problem happen when the car is sitting in park and hands off the steering wheel?
I've already spoken to them about it. First I sent in the amp and they told me it was good. I sent them these same videos with a detailed explanation of the issue and they seem to think its the head unit or a short somewhere else in car wiring...which I really hope its not, that would be horrible to track down.

It does happen while in park with my hands off the steering wheel. I can start the car, the music/audio will play, you can hear it just fine. Let the car sit running for 15-20 mins and it will still slowly begin to fade out.
Old 12-25-15, 05:14 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeke21
......and they seem to think its the head unit or a short somewhere else in car wiring...which I really hope its not, that would be horrible to track down.

It does happen while in park with my hands off the steering wheel. I can start the car, the music/audio will play, you can hear it just fine. Let the car sit running for 15-20 mins and it will still slowly begin to fade out.
Sounds unlikely to be short - more likely an active component over-heating or discharging. I'd send in the HU.
Old 12-25-15, 05:17 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Hate to say it but I would send them the head unit if you are experiencing this "timed" problem after warm up and the car sitting in park........ Could be a bad soldered connection or failing component. I have checked electronic boards with freeze spray and heat to find these type of problems.
Old 01-08-16, 12:34 PM
Zeke21
Driver

hmmm, replaced my head unit with a known good working unit and still have the same issue. I went ahead and emailed the tech at UR to see what else he recommends. Hell, maybe they misdiagnosed my amp.

My amp was refurbished once before with the prior owner via Lexus. So I know the amp was refurbished once.

Sound operates correctly for about 15 mins and then slowly the music fades out (all sources CD/DVD/HDD/Radio) and turning the volume control up/down once it has totally faded out does not do anything. It doesn't even produce a read out on the screen indicating that I'm moving the volume ****. The car can sit off for about 10 mins and then I'll get sound back but only for a short period of time...maybe 2-5 mins. If the car sits for hours then I'll get anywhere from 15-30 mins of uninterrupted playback.

Also note this issue happens whether the car is moving or standing still. I can simply start the car in the garage...not move it and the sound will die out. Knowing this I didn't think I have a loose connection associated with a moving car.

Any other thoughts are much appreciated.