LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

AWD snow beast

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-16, 08:56 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts
Default AWD snow beast

We took our 2012 AWD to MI for vacation, and had a chance to test the AWD system in 8 inches of snow up our steep driveway. The car is a beast! One thing I did need to do was turn off the traction control - sometimes in deep snow when the car is plowing you need a little bit of wheelspin to keep momentum going. Otherwise, it is absolutely awesome in snow, even on all-season tires. I can't imagine how much better it'd be with real snow tires on it - but it was very impressive even without them.

Also, I can't get over how much better & less fatigued we feel after an 8 hour drive vs. our other vehicles. It's like driving your couch down the freeway, complete with your high-end audio system in front of you. We've never been as satisfied with a car as we are with this one.

Happy new year, everyone!
Old 01-02-16, 05:59 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

I can only imagine how the AWD LS is, because I have the RWD LS and it's pretty good with snow tires.

Last year I drove through what was maybe the worst winter in New England's history and the car did very well with snows on it. The stability assist, abs, and traction control systems work very well on these cars. Just the other day I was taking an exit ramp that I wasn't familiar with a little too fast...it was wet out and the car started to skid, but the abs and stability assist immediately kicked in and straightened me out in no time. I wasn't even worried.

I can't stand the winters in New England, between the road salt and sand, it just kills your car. I must have washed my car two times a week last season and I still couldn't come close to keeping up with it. I would spray the undercarriage, etc, but as soon as you'd hit the roads it would be covered in salt instantly. This year we've been lucky - we got nothing in November and December was clean until a few days ago, so I look at as if the car received two months of salt free driving. The salt belt kills cars. I use a product called Fluid Film under the car to prevent rust, but I'm not sure if it helps.

Last edited by Doublebase; 01-02-16 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-02-16, 06:18 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tec80
We took our 2012 AWD to MI for vacation, and had a chance to test the AWD system in 8 inches of snow up our steep driveway. The car is a beast! One thing I did need to do was turn off the traction control - sometimes in deep snow when the car is plowing you need a little bit of wheelspin to keep momentum going. Otherwise, it is absolutely awesome in snow, even on all-season tires. I can't imagine how much better it'd be with real snow tires on it - but it was very impressive even without them.

Also, I can't get over how much better & less fatigued we feel after an 8 hour drive vs. our other vehicles. It's like driving your couch down the freeway, complete with your high-end audio system in front of you. We've never been as satisfied with a car as we are with this one.

Happy new year, everyone!
My LS460 isn't AWD and I have never driven it in snow but it handles extremely well when it's raining hard and the roads are slick. A automobile you really feel safe and secure driving. It's an incredible city driving or long distant cruiser. It is a beast and Lexus just got everything right. Its truly the best automobile I have ever owned and I'm completely satisfied. Lexus the pursuit of perfection.
Old 01-02-16, 06:23 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I can only imagine what it's like living in colder regions. I haven't seen snow in my parts in over two decades, lol and the day it did snow, people went nuts like it was Christmas. However, I am a stone's throw away from the Sierra Nevedas and travel to Tahoe a lot, but they never salt HWY 50, just plow it, require chains or outright close it.

Yeah, AWD cars are definitely nice. I had one prior to this. I drove it to Portland, Oregon a few times from California over the Cascades in winter that was brutal and it definitely helped. They had chain requirements near Shasta and over the pass near the ca/or border, but I just kept driving in my all-seasons without any issues. Actually, I had to as I had no chains at the time, lol.
Old 01-02-16, 11:56 PM
cpcc
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine has z rated tired and it stinks in the snow