LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Carfax and Autocheck: what I just learned

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-16, 09:40 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Both are helpful with the general history of the vehicle but the info isn't always accurate. I had an accident ($9500 in repairs) in a previous vehicle and it never showed up on Carfax. But the fresh paint (two shades darker) on the trunk, door, and rear quarter panels was obvious when I traded it in.
Old 01-14-16, 04:04 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, Carfax is an enigma.

I never really thought too much of it prior to my friend struggling because of it. Again, it's a blessing and a curse, depending on the circumstances. The sometimes super-long delays and often times very inconsistent, incorrect or even unwarranted reporting are at the heart of the matter.

People put too much weight in it, whether it says no issues (and there really is) or there's a major issue when in fact it might not be that major as the accuracy is dependent on whomever reported it or where they got that information.

In any case, it was eye-opening learning about where they get their information and how it is often delayed in reporting (if at all).
Old 07-12-21, 02:28 PM
MinnRC350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got shafted by Carfax too

In late October 2018 I bought a CPO 2015 RC 350 FSPORT, AWD, from a very reputable dealer, that had just come off lease, and paid a pretty hefty price. Looked the car over really well. Nothing telltale and in the Infrared paint you should be able to tell. I was an auto claims adjuster so I know what I'm looking for.

Carfax was totally clean. All the way thru delivery. Today while planning to trade, just found out that it had moderate to severe damage, all over the car first reported in May 2017 yet now say "first available data for display is 11/29/18." So a damage/date doesn't get displayed for 18 months, exactly 4 weeks after I bought it? 0f course my value is greatly diminished.

Interesting part is that the dealer I was trading it to said oddly enough we see that problem more with lexus than any other make. So. Perhaps there's something going on here.

Looking back now at the damage date, it coincides with a huge hail storm in that area where the car was leased. Dealers lost millions because of it. So the repairs were made and theoretically the repair check should have been made out to both the lessee and the lessor. Did the dealer repair it and hide the damage report until it was sold? Timing is too coincidental.

Well. We're gonna find out. I contacted the MN AG office and they want to look into it too because it's way too far off and report timing is off as well.

I

​​

Originally Posted by Rhambler

I never really thought too much of it prior to my friend struggling because of it. Again, it's a blessing and a curse, depending on the circumstances. The sometimes super-long delays and often times very inconsistent, incorrect or even unwarranted reporting are at the heart of the matter.

People put too much weight in it, whether it says no issues (and there really is) or there's a major issue when in fact it might not be that major as the accuracy is dependent on whomever reported it or where they got that information.

In any case, it was eye-opening learning about where they get their information and how it is often delayed in reporting (if at all).

Originally Posted by Rhambler

Last edited by MinnRC350; 07-12-21 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Duplicate copy/paste
The following users liked this post:
Wandl (07-19-21)