LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2010 LS 460 AWD research and questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-16, 07:13 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2010 LS 460 AWD research and questions.

Hello everyone. I'm starting on my research on an LS 460 as my next car. Since there is alot of info on the 07-09 models and very little on the '10-12 models I decided to ask some questions and advice on a 2010 LS 460 AWD.

Does it have any recalls?
Any weaknesses like ML amp, control arms, brake actuators etc. like 2007-2009 models had?
Does it have problem with: parking sensors, mirrors folding/adjusting, steering column electric motors etc. like LS430 had?
AWD models have less HP at 360 vs 380 in a RWD. How come, different variation of the engine?
Air suspension. Any issues with it and whats the average life of it?
Any expensive maintenance items?
Does it have lane assist option or only in ‘13 restyled version available?
Any quickly scatchable/wearable intirior parts?
Anything to say against higher milage vehicles?
Old 01-13-16, 07:51 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Im curious about the lower hp and heavier car numbers of the AWD also. Has anybody owned or have first hand experience with feeling a difference at the pedal or the *** of your seat. What are the 0 to 60 times?
Old 01-13-16, 08:09 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
AWD models have less HP at 360 vs 380 in a RWD. How come, different variation of the engine?
Same engine, but the exhaust had to be redesigned to fit AWD.

"One unforeseen downside to selecting the AWD LS over the rear-driver is that it means the same 4.6-liter V8 engine is rated at 360 horsepower and 347 pound-feet of torque, instead of 386 hp and 367 lb-ft. A more restrictive exhaust system in the AWD car is the culprit. Lexus tells us that the exhaust system had to be reconfigured to fit in the engine bay, because of the extra room eaten up by the all-wheel driveline. The reduction of power, combined with some 300 added pounds of curb weight, mean that the LS AWD takes about a half second more to sprint to 60 mph, and loses one mpg in the EPA's city and combined ratings." - 2013 Lexus LS460 F-Sport AWD Autoblog review

Last edited by ChrisK; 01-13-16 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-13-16, 09:02 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 344 Likes on 262 Posts

From all I've read, the 2011 was the first year Lexus got it all right.
Old 01-13-16, 10:14 AM
idp1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought a 2010 LS460 AWD CPO with 50k miles in Nov, 2015 after trading in a 2002 LS430 with 183k miles (the best Lexus I ever had). Here are my observations so far:

1. Car feels heavier than LS430.
2. For 2010 AWD model Air suspension is standard: I believe from 2011 or later it is optional. It is marginally better than non-air considering Lexus non-air suspensions are awesome. As for repairs, they are expensive, but, I don't know the cost.
3. I heard 'control arms' had faulty design till 2010 and was corrected from 2011 onwards. I am not happy with the ride, but, dealer keeps saying they did not find any defect.
4. MPG (fuel consumption) is awful in non-highway driving compared with my old LS430 which used to average 19/24mpg. The LS460 as I observed is 15/23: others might have different experience.
5. The speicified 0-60mph looks good on paper, but, when moving from complete stop the LS460 is lethargic. Once moving it sprints if you want.
6. The lane-change warning system is an option on 2010 model, but, my LS460 does not have it. Mine has Parking assist, which is fun, but completely useless. For some reason, you have to manually break it once it parks by itself - otherwise it is going to crash! And it literally races when parking by itself... may be some thing need to be tuned. If is fun to watch/show off when it parks by itself, but, I don't see much use.
7. Lexus leather interior is not as good as its mechanics. The seats suck: even at 50k the leather is warped up on front seats and not taut! I have a 2000 Mercedes and its leather is still firm.
8. With all the electronics jammed in these days, maintainance might be expensive, considering any issue is not easily resolved by non-dealer mechanics. But, otherwise I been driving Lexus vehicles since 2003 (this is my 3rd LS and I also have an RX) and I found them to be least expensive to own over their life.
Old 01-13-16, 10:32 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
Hello everyone. I'm starting on my research on an LS 460 as my next car. Since there is alot of info on the 07-09 models and very little on the '10-12 models I decided to ask some questions and advice on a 2010 LS 460 AWD.

Does it have any recalls?
Any weaknesses like ML amp, control arms, brake actuators etc. like 2007-2009 models had?
Does it have problem with: parking sensors, mirrors folding/adjusting, steering column electric motors etc. like LS430 had?
Air suspension. Any issues with it and whats the average life of it?
Any expensive maintenance items?
Does it have lane assist option or only in ‘13 restyled version available?
Any quickly scatchable/wearable intirior parts?
Anything to say against higher milage vehicles?
Some thoughts, in no particular order...

As a starting point, to get details by model year, you can search the web for the following generic string, and you should get links to a helpful PDF from Lexus showing all specifications, features and available options, with additions/changes for the model year in bold.

"20xx Lexus LS 460/460 L Product Information"

Here is the one for 2010: http://pressroom.toyota.com/article_...rticle_id=2656

Broadly speaking, the entire 2010 model year production wasn't out of the woods completely. However, depending on the issue (e.g., control arms), many 2010s were just as good as 2011+ cars. My car, for instance, has updated control arms (according to the VIN cutoff in the TSIB), and it is a 2010.

Lane Keep Assist did become available in 2010, though I have never personally seen it in a pre-2013 460. I have it, but I have a 600h.

As for wear and tear, the interior B-pillar covers are notorious for wearing out. The part was redesigned, but the new one isn't much better than the circa-2006 original, and this is unfortunately true to this day, as I understand it. Center console armrest has also been an issue in the past, as have the door armrests for some model years on cars not equipped with leather on the doors.

ML Amp is supposed to not be a problem for 2010+. The sound is good but nothing like my 2008, so there is a tradeoff.

Brake actuator is, to this day, still a problem as I understand it, even if it happens less frequently, and thus, newer vehicles are not included in the service bulletin.

Power... I happened to have a RWD because that's all there was for 2008. If you need the AWD, you need it, but I could definitely feel the power difference in favor of the RWD and thus would favor RWD if you can get away with it. I realize you're in NY, though...
Old 01-13-16, 10:52 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by idp1
Bought a 2010 LS460 AWD CPO with 50k miles in Nov, 2015 after trading in a 2002 LS430 with 183k miles (the best Lexus I ever had). Here are my observations so far:

1. Car feels heavier than LS430.
2. For 2010 AWD model Air suspension is standard: I believe from 2011 or later it is optional. It is marginally better than non-air considering Lexus non-air suspensions are awesome. As for repairs, they are expensive, but, I don't know the cost.
3. I heard 'control arms' had faulty design till 2010 and was corrected from 2011 onwards. I am not happy with the ride, but, dealer keeps saying they did not find any defect.
4. MPG (fuel consumption) is awful in non-highway driving compared with my old LS430 which used to average 19/24mpg. The LS460 as I observed is 15/23: others might have different experience.
5. The speicified 0-60mph looks good on paper, but, when moving from complete stop the LS460 is lethargic. Once moving it sprints if you want.
6. The lane-change warning system is an option on 2010 model, but, my LS460 does not have it. Mine has Parking assist, which is fun, but completely useless. For some reason, you have to manually break it once it parks by itself - otherwise it is going to crash! And it literally races when parking by itself... may be some thing need to be tuned. If is fun to watch/show off when it parks by itself, but, I don't see much use.
7. Lexus leather interior is not as good as its mechanics. The seats suck: even at 50k the leather is warped up on front seats and not taut! I have a 2000 Mercedes and its leather is still firm.
8. With all the electronics jammed in these days, maintainance might be expensive, considering any issue is not easily resolved by non-dealer mechanics. But, otherwise I been driving Lexus vehicles since 2003 (this is my 3rd LS and I also have an RX) and I found them to be least expensive to own over their life.
So to sum it up, I should keep my 2005 LS430?
Old 01-13-16, 01:48 PM
idp1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But for AWD and 183k miles I would have stayed with my LS430 for few more years.
Old 01-13-16, 03:32 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I call BS. You don't feel the difference of 26hp, or 6% decrease. There are variables everyday that can cause that. I doubt you are really impacted by 30lbs of drivetrain. This is a luxury cruiser, not a race car. I DO agree there is a difference of RWD vs AWD. The performance figures are at certain RPM, which I would assume the HP is near read line. And none of us drive this car at redline. More like 2-3k rpm. There is a difference, but it shouldn't be the reason why NOT to choose the car, but maybe a reason why you choose one car over another.
Old 01-13-16, 04:46 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Unsober1
I call BS. You don't feel the difference of 26hp, or 6% decrease. There are variables everyday that can cause that. I doubt you are really impacted by 30lbs of drivetrain. This is a luxury cruiser, not a race car. I DO agree there is a difference of RWD vs AWD. The performance figures are at certain RPM, which I would assume the HP is near read line. And none of us drive this car at redline. More like 2-3k rpm. There is a difference, but it shouldn't be the reason why NOT to choose the car, but maybe a reason why you choose one car over another.
I have no idea whether this is a response to what I said, but just in case, I stand by what I said, and you can call it whatever you want.

The weight difference is a few hundred pounds (8 or 9% increase, depending on which combination you're comparing). Having said this, I agree that this is not a race car, and indeed, I don't drive at red line all the time. The fact does remain that I could consistently notice a difference: off the line, on the highway and passing at cruising speeds. Even my wife, who normally doesn't comment on this stuff, noticed a difference. Now, was the AWD car a "dog"? Not at all, but my RWD simply felt more nimble. Interestingly, the torque figures are also close (344 vs. 367 lb-ft), and it's ultimately torque that I was arguably feeling, but there's all that extra drivetrain (weight).

Bottom line, like I said, if you need the AWD, you need it - don't misunderstand me. At the time (2011), I didn't have that choice: my budget was for 2007/08, pre-AWD, and I wanted/picked 2008. If I lived in a place where it snows only once or twice in a year, I'd probably pick RWD. Here, it would have to be AWD at this point...
Old 01-15-16, 06:31 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 344 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by tradosauru
So to sum it up, I should keep my 2005 LS430?
I had an 05 LS430. Traded it for an 08 LS460. Greatest thing I ever did!
Old 01-15-16, 09:26 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

I have both, a 2012 AWD and 2011 RWD Sport. The difference in acceleration is noticeable, about 1/2 second - but the tradeoff is no wheelspin on launch and a bit more of a "planted" feel especially accelerating out of corners. Highway MPG is 1-2 less in the AWD. The AWD has a slightly higher final drive ratio so highway cruise RPM is about 200RPM higher at a given speed.

The oil dipstick had to be moved to the rear of the engine for AWD, same reason as the HP decrease - packaging.
Old 01-15-16, 10:01 AM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I know they may go hand in hand but you're probably feeling the weight more than the decreased horsepower. I know they're not comparable vehicles but when I took my FWD 2010 RX350 in for service and I got a loaner AWD version, it felt heavier (slower)...but did feel more stable, naturally.
Old 01-15-16, 10:40 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Without a doubt, I can feel the difference between being alone in the car and adding 3 adults. So you could feel a couple hundred pounds easily.
Old 01-15-16, 11:21 AM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for chiming in Tec80. I couldn't remember who had both cars. My belief, you opinion is very valuable in this thread.

Quick Reply: 2010 LS 460 AWD research and questions.