LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

recording music to 2009 ML hard drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-16, 07:24 PM
jzqj55
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default recording music to 2009 ML hard drive

thanks to those who educated me on the low quality of the music from the HDD.

I confirmed the huge loss, (especially in dynamic range) by switching back and forth from a dvd to the same song from the HDD. I admit my 55 yo ears aren't the best, but this was a difference anyone could hear instantly.

Does make me wonder why they couldn't have upgraded the HDD recording technology to improve the quality. I realize space would be tighter, but on a sound system like this, people expect great sound from all parts of the system.

I also don't like that the more recent years have dropped to a CD capacity of 1. I suspect it helps their reliability / warranty figures
Old 01-24-16, 07:31 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's just due to the current trend of digital music and streaming services like Pandora though bluetooth. I wish there was a CD changer like my 04 but I understand the shift.
Old 01-25-16, 06:48 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

I have the HDD but I see no reason to use it. For one, I like listening to a cd, but then I'm good for months. It's on to something else. Having the 6 disk changer in my car, and being able to put roughly 10 or so "albums" worth of music on each CD give me lots of options. As I've mentioned, I wish I had the USB capability with visual on the screen. Then I could pretty much load everything and have a pretty nice library at one touch. Otherwise, it's all good!
Old 01-25-16, 12:06 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 865 Likes on 652 Posts

Both the HHD drive and the CD player have become archaic, transfer each and every
track from any source to an iPod or flashdrive (not a external HD, the USB port voltage
won't power it). Instantly accessible, transferable and cheap. If necessary, have a 14
year old do it for you... The song titles & time will display and on 2013 and newer Lexi
you can use verbal commands "Play artist Eric Clapton". Most tracks will display the
GraceNote picture as well. Who needs to carry/load CDs?
Old 01-25-16, 12:47 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, never put any songs on my HD and don't plan to. To stream I can use my phone. If I want my own music at higher quality I can play lossless files from my iPod classic.
Old 01-25-16, 04:05 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Both the HHD drive and the CD player have become archaic, transfer each and every
track from any source to an iPod or flashdrive (not a external HD, the USB port voltage
won't power it). Instantly accessible, transferable and cheap. If necessary, have a 14
year old do it for you... The song titles & time will display and on 2013 and newer Lexi
you can use verbal commands "Play artist Eric Clapton". Most tracks will display the
GraceNote picture as well. Who needs to carry/load CDs?
I have a 2010 LS460 and many CD's. I find the CD changer useful. Nonetheless, is the portage on the USB port sufficient to keep an iPod charged? It doesn't seem so with my iPad, to which I've transferred some of my music. Thanks for any info.
Old 01-25-16, 04:18 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 865 Likes on 652 Posts

Our iPod is buried under all the console stuff and stays turned on all the time. It charges
whenever the car is on. Only time it went dead was when we were away on a Cruise
for 11 days. Songs display on the screen, steering wheel buttons provide control and
on the 2014 and newer you can press the Talk button and say, "Play Artist...Eric Clapton"
Old 01-25-16, 04:19 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbp
I have a 2010 LS460 and many CD's. I find the CD changer useful. Nonetheless, is the portage on the USB port sufficient to keep an iPod charged? It doesn't seem so with my iPad, to which I've transferred some of my music. Thanks for any info.
Yes it will power an iPod but not an iPad. The iPods and iPhones take about an amp while iPads take just over 2.
Old 01-26-16, 06:47 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Both the HHD drive and the CD player have become archaic, Who needs to carry/load CDs?
Not everyone has a 2013+ LS. So the answer to your question would be, those of us who still have the DVD changer need to use CD's especially through 09.

I know how to load an ipod. I have roughly 300 albums worth of music on mine. But plugging into the mini jack in the console doesn't offer information on the screen. CD's do.

If you're talking about general 21st century technology, then sure, in my home, I can source a variety of options to play pretty much anything through out my home. My car, not so much. Guess I can check into a vais system, but for the minimal time I spend in a car, I'd have to question the worth.

Roger, over and out!
Old 01-26-16, 11:45 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

The VAIS system is totally worth it; this is my second one. I like it better than the Gen6 USB solution in the 2010-2012 cars.

I put 3 CDs in the car when I bought it a year and a half ago. They are still there. I recorded one album onto the hard drive; it was tedious and took too long. It's still there but I never listen to it; along with the PO's huge collection of Vietnamese music.

Having had a resident IPod in my car for over 10 years it's the best. I have no desire to solve the media management problem again when I have put everything in iTunes and can brainlessly sync it to my iPod (and now my phone). The VAISTech BT solution also loads playlists and album lists from IOS; so it's pretty slick.