LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

CPO vs non CPO

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-16, 06:29 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by orys
I prefer the blue to the white. First choice would be black but blue is close enough...
I prefer the white to the blue but I just bought the blue because it was available. A comparable white 07 became available after the fact at a close Lexus dealer 2 weeks later. By the way I get lots of compliments on the blue.
Old 01-30-16, 11:06 PM
orys
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RayLS
For me, it's peace of mind,
You're not really spending $6K for the CPO warranty.
Research the used price difference between the '11 and '12 model LS and go from there.
The 2012 white just sold.
Now I am really torn between the same non CPO private party 2011 blue 40K miles for 33K and 2012 Nebula grey with 29K miles CPO for 38K. Both sport package and identical other than color.
Any more insights would be appreciated. Need to make decision in a couple of days...
Old 01-31-16, 08:14 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

This would be a no-brainer for me. White over the blue any day. I just don't like blue on the LS. White is far classier in my opinion. Add to that the fact that it's a year newer,.....

As for warranty, not an issue if it were me. The high dollar quotes you hear about (4000 dollars for control arms), are not a good argument for getting a warranty, since those quotes are always dealer/oem prices. Control arms can be done for a fraction of that price. I have over 100k miles and neither my control arms, nor my brake actuator have failed me. If they do however, I know that I can have the control arms taken care of for about 500 - 800 dollars (about the price of a set of tires). If I had paid for the warranty I was offered at purchase, I'd be out a ton of money, since I've only replaced the water pump so far.
Old 01-31-16, 08:19 AM
orys
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by roadfrog
This would be a no-brainer for me. White over the blue any day. I just don't like blue on the LS. White is far classier in my opinion. Add to that the fact that it's a year newer,.....

As for warranty, not an issue if it were me. The high dollar quotes you hear about (4000 dollars for control arms), are not a good argument for getting a warranty, since those quotes are always dealer/oem prices. Control arms can be done for a fraction of that price. I have over 100k miles and neither my control arms, nor my brake actuator have failed me. If they do however, I know that I can have the control arms taken care of for about 500 - 800 dollars (about the price of a set of tires). If I had paid for the warranty I was offered at purchase, I'd be out a ton of money, since I've only replaced the water pump so far.
Thanks! But the white sold - now I am looking at a nebula grey CPO 29K miles 2012 vs that blue 2011... Still prefer the grey over the blue?
Old 01-31-16, 08:28 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Even though I like white over blue everybody who sees my blue car says the same thing. I love the color. Just last night again. I haven't shown the car to anybody yet that didn't comment on the color. I've never got that consistent remark with any other color car.
Old 01-31-16, 02:40 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks! But the white sold - now I am looking at a nebula grey CPO 29K miles 2012 vs that blue 2011... Still prefer the grey over the blue?
Absolutely. Nebula is VERY nice. Anything but Blue. If I could have found a grey or white over my Obsidian, I would have. Black is a PITA.
Old 01-31-16, 11:27 PM
orys
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Absolutely. Nebula is VERY nice. Anything but Blue. If I could have found a grey or white over my Obsidian, I would have. Black is a PITA.
Well, finally my search has ended! We bought the CPO Nebula Grey 12' and it's a beauty. Big thank you to all of you Lexus experts who helped me make the decision. Only 'issue' is an overly scruffy driver seat cushion. Dealership will try to fix but I think new foam is needed. Does anyone know if it's possible to replace and how much $$?
Old 01-31-16, 11:38 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you talking about the foam cushion or the leather covering? The foam will run you about $200 shipped. The leather about $1k and that's just the seat bottom. You can pay to have the entire seat repainted and it will look like new. I did it on my 2010 Lexus RX350 drivers seat (parchment) and the results were fantastic. Dealers do it all the time btw, especially on CPO. Maybe complain to your sales guy and see if he'll take care of it.
Old 01-31-16, 11:41 PM
orys
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sdwtchlvr
Are you talking about the foam cushion or the leather covering? The foam will run you about $200 shipped. The leather about $1k and that's just the seat bottom. You can pay to have the entire seat repainted and it will look like new. I did it on my 2010 Lexus RX350 drivers seat (parchment) and the results were fantastic. Dealers do it all the time btw, especially on CPO. Maybe complain to your sales guy and see if he'll take care of it.
This is great advice. I am taking it in tomorrow AM. $200 is very reasonable. Is that through Lexus or another store?
Old 02-01-16, 06:34 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had a Lexus dealer tell me that a CPO is "worth" ~$1,500 of value in the retail market... although that sounded low to me.
Old 02-01-16, 06:41 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

I know it's a big decision, but with regards to color, it's got to be something that you like. It's great to ask opinions, but we won't be living with your choice. You will. So get the exact color you want. As for repairs, I have an 08 and so far I've replaced the battery. Should anything go wrong, I have an independent mechanic. But also keep in mind, according to everything I've read, the 2011/2012 models fixed all the issues such as control arms.

Don't settle!
Old 02-01-16, 08:12 AM
orys
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by R Z
I know it's a big decision, but with regards to color, it's got to be something that you like. It's great to ask opinions, but we won't be living with your choice. You will. So get the exact color you want. As for repairs, I have an 08 and so far I've replaced the battery. Should anything go wrong, I have an independent mechanic. But also keep in mind, according to everything I've read, the 2011/2012 models fixed all the issues such as control arms.

Don't settle!
Hey RZ what rims do you have on your 460? Looks amazing.
I got the 12' grey last night, will post pics soon..
Old 02-01-16, 08:46 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Congrats! Glad it all worked out for you.
Old 02-01-16, 01:02 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Hey RZ what rims do you have on your 460? Looks amazing.
I got the 12' grey last night, will post pics soon..
Gratz on the car. I have telios wheels. Thanks.

Last edited by R Z; 02-01-16 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-01-16, 01:14 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
Even though I like white over blue everybody who sees my blue car says the same thing. I love the color. Just last night again. I haven't shown the car to anybody yet that didn't comment on the color. I've never got that consistent remark with any other color car.
I have to say I wasn't crazy about my black sapphire pearl initially, but I felt it was a great catch.
Oddly enough as you've stated, I get compliments on the car and color often.
Then, the comment which usually ensues:
"This is a Lexus?? That's one beautiful car and its huge!"

ORYS:
Huge congrats! Would love to see photos when you get a chance!

Quick Reply: CPO vs non CPO