LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Which Wheel
BBS RN 20"
35.48%
Forgeline RB1 19"
3.23%
Forgeline RB1 20"
35.48%
None and keep OEM
25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Wheel Choices: Help me decide once and for all

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-16, 05:17 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, I may wait until after I do my taxes. It might my decision a bit easier. Kind of expect a big tax bill this year due to pulling money out of some investments last year, but we'll see. It may make my decision easier, although the BBS will be easy no matter what.

You're right in that this will drastically impact how my car will look, good or bad, and I definely want good. That's why I'm in such misery right now. If these wheels were cheap, I wouldn't care and just but them, but they're not.

I do like them both and I limited my choices purposely so I don't get even crazier. It's either a heavy multi-spoke or that larger straight spoke, no lip and a darker silver, although I'm a bit worried how dark that BBS wheel will be as the wheel in the video is diamond silver, not diamond black and is not offered here in the states.

Already spoke with the local tire shop to receive drop shipment and he's ready to order tires. Radial tire in Sacramento is awesome, btw. Talk to Randy. Cool guy and very helpful.
Old 02-02-16, 05:26 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Shambler
Yeah, I may wait until after I do my taxes. It might my decision a bit easier. Kind of expect a big tax bill this year due to pulling money out of some investments last year, but we'll see. It may make my decision easier, although the BBS will be easy no matter what.

You're right in that this will drastically impact how my car will look, good or bad, and I definely want good. That's why I'm in such misery right now. If these wheels were cheap, I wouldn't care and just but them, but they're not.

I do like them both and I limited my choices purposely so I don't get even crazier. It's either a heavy multi-spoke or that larger straight spoke, no lip and a darker silver, although I'm a bit worried how dark that BBS wheel will be as the wheel in the video is diamond silver, not diamond black and is not offered here in the states.

Already spoke with the local tire shop to receive drop shipment and he's ready to order tires. Radial tire in Sacramento is awesome, btw. Talk to Randy. Cool guy and very helpful.
Did you already consider the F sport wheels? Only about $2,000 a set and still OEM
Old 02-02-16, 05:30 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

I did, but I don't want any second-hand wheels after I thought about it more. Last thing I want is a wheel to show up with a hairline crack and me having to deal with any hassles.

I would rather have the assurances of new and brand new forged F-Sport are almost $2k a pop and for that money I would rather go aftermarket and get 20s.
Old 02-03-16, 04:11 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Here's another reason I want wheels without lips: lipped wheels makes that gap look bigger to me, if not lowered. I'm not saying this is bad in any way, it looks very nice, but that gap, in my eyes, gets more pronounced with lipped wheels.

The lipped Vossen car would look awesome with a slight drop while Syd's is just perfect in my eyes fully stock and with fully-faced wheels. I know it's all subjective, but just something to think about if you're upsizing as I've toiled over this lol.

Plus, it just looks more OEM on fully-faced wheels.

Old 02-03-16, 06:47 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Yah know, I'm normally not a fan of aftermarket wheels, but for those, I could make an exception. I like the look.
Old 02-03-16, 08:26 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I see what you mean with the Vossens...
In order to get rid of that gap look, the spoke has to go directly to the inner surface of the inner diameter of the rim.
There cant be any excess material behind the spoke at the end where the spoke meets the inner diameter, and the lip needs to be straight without being dimensional.
It provides a much cleaner look.
That look in combination with a lower profile tire would assist in making the gap seem less present. Less so, obviously, when a car is dropped, then it gives the effect of no gap/all wheel.

Old 02-03-16, 09:44 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

I know you're opposed to lowering your car but yet are struggling to manage that gap up front. Are you just opposed to the work involved? The expense? The ride quality? Seems like a catch 22 for you given the circumstances.
Old 02-03-16, 09:50 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
I know you're opposed to lowering your car but yet are struggling to manage that gap up front. Are you just opposed to the work involved? The expense? The ride quality? Seems like a catch 22 for you given the circumstances.
Not sure what his reasons are, but indeed if trying to rid the sight of gap space, lowering would be the only way, unless one wishes to go for 24"!!!

But at this point, it just looks like the wheel is a completely separate entity and the car is sitting "ON" the wheels.
No cohesiveness.
Old 02-03-16, 10:01 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CRowe14

Not sure what his reasons are, but indeed if trying to rid the sight of gap space, lowering would be the only way, unless one wishes to go for 24"!!!

But at this point, it just looks like the wheel is a completely separate entity and the car is sitting "ON" the wheels.
No cohesiveness.
Yikes that looks like Norfolk Southern!

Back to the serious question. Is it extremely difficult to adjust the height on a non air LS? I'm just used to having air under me for the last 10+ years. And it seems like he's stuck in a corner, not wanting to lower it yet concerned about the gap that it will affect the wheel selection.
Old 02-03-16, 01:08 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

I actually don't mind the gap, but what I was trying to convey is that wheel choices can accentuate that gap. Lipped wheels, at least to me, makes that gap look bigger as the wheel looks smaller. Fully-faced wheels are the opposite, even though the gap might be the same.

In fact, lipped wheels would be better for 22s simply because it does in fact make the wheel look smaller, optically, and that actually might be desirable when you get that big.

I'm never lowering my car under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, regardless of gap.

I should write on treatise on LS 460 aftermarket wheels for those non-show car types lol. I've read so much and stared at pictures more than I care to mention.
Old 02-03-16, 01:11 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

I know you're adamant about not lowering your car. My question was why? It's not a debate, your car, your preference, I'm just curious.
Old 02-03-16, 01:18 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, simple: because that will negatively affect the ride. Probably more so than any wheel changes outside of 20s depending on what type of lowering I would do and simply put, I won't do it. I lowered my BMW the expensive coil over way, looked great, rode like crap. Lowered my MR2 the cheap spring way, looked great, rode like crap. I'm too old for that now anyways.
Old 02-03-16, 01:25 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Cool, that was my question.
Old 02-03-16, 02:26 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lipped wheels don't look right unless you go the full monty with 21" or bigger and lowering. Not a look I'd want for myself (and I definitely don't want the compromised ride either).

If you don't want to lower and go big -- that is, sacrifice your car for looks -- then it's much much much better to go without a lip, for all the reasons everyone else has said.
Old 02-03-16, 06:19 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Found more pics of the BBS.

All from Japanese sites. I guess this wheel is actually from BBS Japan.

This one is actually the original image found on BBS Japan's site and is indeed the black diamond finish.

Quick Reply: Wheel Choices: Help me decide once and for all