LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone replace Hydrocarbon Switching valve for LS 600hl

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-16, 04:00 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VQT
Is there such a thing as a salvage LS 600? These things are rare to begin with. That's the second 600 with exhaust system failure. You guy are giving me a heart attack...
I wonder what percentage of ls600 owners use club lexus? My dealer said mine is the 2nd 600 to need this replaced. I wish i had seen the post earlier that it has passed emissions. I would probably not have had it fixed at all! Especially that I don't use the car.. makes no difference.. to have a message..
Old 03-01-16, 04:51 PM
hfahmy
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by VQT
Is there such a thing as a salvage LS 600? These things are rare to begin with. That's the second 600 with exhaust system failure. You guy are giving me a heart attack...
Many on eBay
Old 03-01-16, 05:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by DMVLS600HL
I am having the same issue with my LS. The dealer wants to replace the entire exhaust pipe. The part that needs to be replaced in inside the exhaust and can not be removed is what I'm being told and the exhaust pipe isn't sold in parts. I've been desperately searching for a work around but so far no luck. I've spoken with a far mechanics and they are telling me the same thing. Lexus also turned me down for financial help with the repair. They said something about my maintenance record. I'd been taking my vehicle to them for everything. Now that I've run into this problem I'll be doing my own maintenance from this point forward. I'm currently trying to find a used exhause from a salvaged car. If I figure it out, I'll post my results.
You're in the DC metro area? You I can help. I will PM you the contact info for my Lexus mechanic in Rockville. There's also a great Lexus independent in Chantilly.
Old 03-01-16, 08:05 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Anyone replace Hydrocarbon Switching valve for LS 600hl

The threads on the 600 of late...good reads
Old 03-04-16, 08:38 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

As my employee picked up the car and was driving back, the engine light came on again!
I was not convinced that the hydrocarbon switch needed replacement. I told them to double check and they said that they did.
We sent the car back..
I am still not convinced that the hydrocarbon switch needs replacement. The service guy sees a diagnostic code and reacts to that.. I don't know if there is any other way to check whether it failed.
Since I know them well enough, I know that they won't knowingly cheat me..
Old 03-05-16, 05:00 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
As my employee picked up the car and was driving back, the engine light came on again!
I was not convinced that the hydrocarbon switch needed replacement. I told them to double check and they said that they did.
We sent the car back..
I am still not convinced that the hydrocarbon switch needs replacement. The service guy sees a diagnostic code and reacts to that.. I don't know if there is any other way to check whether it failed.
Since I know them well enough, I know that they won't knowingly cheat me..
Did it actually came on again after they did the repair ? Also could you ask them to tell you the error code as it will allow us to give us a better understanding of your problem and it would also help other members if they are ever faced to this problem. I had error code P0549 and P1083 and it turns out it was the exhaust gas temperature sensor and only the hybrid have this and it's also part of the Hydro-Carbon Absorber and Catalyst System. Maybe it could be your problem ?
Old 03-07-16, 07:34 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lexus600hl and Vansibel - what was the mileage on your cars when the codes were thrown? I'm just curious if this is related to a mileage or age\time issue.
Old 03-07-16, 07:43 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

mileage on mine is 90k
today the dealer said they had three codes. two for the hydrocarbon switch and one for the exhaust gas temperature.
Now, he says he is replacing the exhaust gas temperature switch.. $800
Old 03-07-16, 08:14 AM
Arvid
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Could this be of help ?

http://alflash.com.ua/evap.htm

Arvid
Old 03-07-16, 10:53 AM
hfahmy
Instructor

mileage on mine is 90k
today the dealer said they had three codes. two for the hydrocarbon switch and one for the exhaust gas temperature.
Now, he says he is replacing the exhaust gas temperature switch.. $800
Who said that the exhaust gas temperature switch is not the reason for the three codes and there was no reason to replace the hydrocarbon switch??
Old 03-07-16, 01:26 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hfahmy
Who said that the exhaust gas temperature switch is not the reason for the three codes and there was no reason to replace the hydrocarbon switch??
No one said that.. and that I believe that it was probably the gas temp switch.
Old 03-07-16, 05:16 PM
hfahmy
Instructor

No one said that.. and that I believe that it was probably the gas temp switch.
I knew the answer to the question but wanted to get your attention I think they need to refund the hydrocarbon switch replacement charge... it was misdiagnosed...
Old 03-08-16, 12:15 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

codes given to me today were CODES: P0546, P1081
they said they replaced the temp sensor
Old 03-08-16, 02:20 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Seems like this is the same problem I had, except your is on bank 1.

Mine: P1083 LEXUS - HC (Hydrocarbon) Absorber Switching Valve Bank 2 Stuck Open
Yours: P1081 LEXUS - HC (Hydrocarbon) Absorber Switching Valve Bank 1 Stuck Open

Possible causes
- Faulty Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor
- Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Hydro-Carbon Absorber and Catalyst (HCAC) valve stuck or actuator problem

Mine: P0549 Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) Sensor Circuit High
Code P0548 is a similar code which states that the circuit shows "low" voltage. Both relate to the condition of the sensor and the correction is the same for both. This P0549 DTC refers to Bank #2 (which is the side of the engine that does not contains cylinder #1). The DTC P0546 is basically identical, however it is for bank 1.

Seems like this problem is not isolated if your dealer had 2 additional cases. For me replacing the exhaust gas temperature sensor (1300$ can) solved the problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vansibel:
Jack111 (11-30-18), Kuja (04-19-20)
Old 03-08-16, 02:26 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

If your dealer replaced the valve (or the whole exhaust as they did) and the problem turn out to be the sensor, they made a very poor (or lazy) diagnostic because I think it's possible using techstream to monitor the voltage going into the sensor, or using a simple Voltmeter.

Quick Reply: Anyone replace Hydrocarbon Switching valve for LS 600hl