LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone replace Hydrocarbon Switching valve for LS 600hl

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-16, 05:21 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone replace Hydrocarbon Switching valve for LS 600hl

for my 2008 ls 600hl, check engine light came on. I don't know the code.
They say that the hydrocarbon switching valve has to be replaced - which means - part # 17410-38252 pipe assy, exhaust price I think was about $5700 just for the part - apparently a part of the exhaust system has to be replaced..
I don't know the code.
Has anyone else had this issue?
Old 02-12-16, 06:41 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ouch. Driving "unicorn" cars can be expensive for sure.

Have you tried contacting Lexus to see if there's some goodwill in regards to parts? They may agree to at least pay half.

I would just express your displeasure in a nice manner and see what they might be willing to do. Maybe they'll pay for the entire part and you pay for labor or do a 50/50 split. It's not unheard of that's for sure.
Old 02-12-16, 07:15 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

https://www.parts.com/index.cfm?fuse...D-EXHAUST-PIPE

Looks like they are requiring you to literally replace the entire front exhaust assembly.
Old 02-12-16, 07:58 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

I know the local lexus dealer well. They contacted lexus but got declined. He called and they offered only $1000 discount on part. They will continue to try to talk to Lexus to get the part free.
Old 02-12-16, 08:04 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You should call corporate yourself imo. I know your service advisor has your interest in mind, but it never hurts to reach out personally. They may have a more difficult time saying no to you the customer than a dealership.

Good luck!
Old 02-12-16, 09:36 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You have the Launch Edition correct? Sh#4, I just bought a Launch Edition too.
Old 02-12-16, 09:47 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Yes, I have the launch edition.
Old 02-12-16, 02:31 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

This sound beyond ridiculous if you ask me... Replace the whole pipe assembly, really ? You can buy this set in 20 different parts, are they actually telling you that they cannot reuse any of them ? Seems to me like they won't bother actually finding the problem and just replace the whole thing and hope for the best. I'm not sure why the part number is different but the whole set price seems much lower if ordered from Japan: http://jp-carparts.com/lexus/partlis...ype=5&fig=1702

I'm no mechanic but something seems off with their diagnostic, unless your car was dragged on it's belly without it's wheel by a semi surely the whole assembly don't need to be replaced. You need to get the diagnostic code number if you want to go further.
Old 02-12-16, 03:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by Vansibel
Seems to me like they won't bother actually finding the problem and just replace the whole thing and hope for the best..
Thats exactly what dealers do. Like I said, that approach is fine when Lexus is paying...but when they get old and you start paying...look out.

I would find somebody locally that specializes in Lexus and hybrids and take it to them. Their approach will be different.
Old 02-12-16, 05:44 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vansibel
This sound beyond ridiculous if you ask me... Replace the whole pipe assembly, really ? You can buy this set in 20 different parts, are they actually telling you that they cannot reuse any of them ? Seems to me like they won't bother actually finding the problem and just replace the whole thing and hope for the best. I'm not sure why the part number is different but the whole set price seems much lower if ordered from Japan: http://jp-carparts.com/lexus/partlis...ype=5&fig=1702

I'm no mechanic but something seems off with their diagnostic, unless your car was dragged on it's belly without it's wheel by a semi surely the whole assembly don't need to be replaced. You need to get the diagnostic code number if you want to go further.
Great post and link! Thanks!
Unfortunately, I need 17410-38252 and the japanese number is 38240. I am not sure what the difference is. Since Japan cars are Right Hand Drive, I wonder if these parts are different or identical to LHD and RHD cars.
Old 02-13-16, 04:56 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Since you know the part number, did you try Toyota dealership to see if they could order the same for less price?.

One point in time I was interested in 600HL and was talking to Lexus service advisor. He indicated that due to low number of 600hl were produced and sold and technology complexity, very few technician are trained to service 600hl in US.

May be worth while to get second opinion from other dealership or with qualified independent shop......
Old 02-13-16, 05:20 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

I am not sure how I can find a "qualified independent shop". Easier said than done!
If you have an ideas about finding one, please do share.

I can probably get it cheaper online than from the dealer - someone else had posted the link but Vansibel posted the best link - get it from Japan. I have emailed them.
I will probably go that that route, depending on shipping cost.
Old 02-13-16, 05:49 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
I am not sure how I can find a "qualified independent shop". Easier said than done!.
I agree on this. Many local shops won't even touch 600LH for fear of additional issues/liability. I am not sure of the nature of this fix. Are you saying just replacement of pipe assembly, nothing touches hybrid system?. How much Lexus quoting for labor?.

If it is just 'mechanical' replacement of part, you may convince some indi to work on that.

See if you could locate some using ;
http://www.lexusshops.com/
http://www.angieslist.com/
https://www.yourmechanic.com/book/
Old 02-13-16, 12:10 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

It does not make sense that you would need to replace the entire exhaust system. Can the problem be narrowed down to a specific component?

http://www.oemautopartsandaccessorie...17a0f5d097ac8/
Old 02-13-16, 11:07 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
It does not make sense that you would need to replace the entire exhaust system. Can the problem be narrowed down to a specific component?

http://www.oemautopartsandaccessorie...17a0f5d097ac8/
I agree with Lexusguy, your dealer mechanic maybe either doesn't know how to fix or they just want to rob you blind. there is no way a whole exhaust system need to be replace.

Quick Reply: Anyone replace Hydrocarbon Switching valve for LS 600hl