LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I've gone all in

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-16, 05:14 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts
Default I've gone all in

For my first two years of ownership I've kind of had a "one toe in the water" approach to my LS460. I read a lot of stuff about them...became a little scared it would break (not "afraid to look under my bed scared", but worried scared). I didn't drive it for the first 8-9 months of ownership - instead just basically admired it and waxed it - but then something happened...something strange...someone told me that they consider it the ultimate car, and I agreed with them. But then that same person asked me why I wasn't driving it, and I told him that I didn't want to ruin it. He laughed then said, they're all going to end up in the junkyard eventually anyway, I'd enjoy it. And now I do - I'd say I take it to extreme levels now.

I drive the car, I drive it a lot. In fact I get a bit depressed if I don't put my usual 600 miles a week on it now (it's a sickness, I know). But as much as I like it, I won't keep a car that isn't a reliable machine...that isn't engineered well...so far I've been impressed. I understand full well the folklore of the LS line...it's lineage...it's expectations. And I understand the LS460 hasn't entered the "Unicorn Dust" realm, and probably never will, which is a shame. But it deserves some credit.

Yesterday I completed my usual 600 week worth of commuting by traveling 260 miles in sub zero temperatures in the Notheast (-15 and my lord was it ridiculous). What can I say, the car just loves to be driven and in that weather it was certainly an unusual experience. In weather like that your exhaust tips ice up....the condensation literally freezes up the rear bumpers, it's an interesting look. The road just feels different - slick - and the suspension never gets warmed up...every piece of rubber is stressed to the max. But the car just drove like a dream still.

So I wonder if the car can go the distance? The distance too me is a place somewhere above 275k miles - and it needs to get there with MINIMAL issues. I wonder if it can do that? I'm going to try.

The only repairs I've done is a right front wheel bearing and six control arms. The control arms and bearing where relatively easy to replace. I honestly didn't need all those control arms, i probably could have gotten away with just replacing the uppers, but the wheel bearing was shot (the car has 118k miles on it). That's the only repairs I've made besides the usual fluid changes, plugs and filters. I can't stress enough how easy these control arms were to change compared to other arms I've done in the past (I probably should mention I'm an ASE Master Tech, teach automotive, and I run a few departments, but I don't really twist a wrench much anymore). So let's just say I wouldn't have layed on my back during school vacation week and replaced all those parts on the ground with hand tools, if it wasn't relatively easy to do (and cheap with aftermarket parts).

So is anyone else going the distance with these cars? I find a lot of people don't really drive these cars much, it's not their daily driver, etc. I manage to get 26mpg in mine and even though it's rear wheel drive it's been great in the snow (with snow tires). I'd like to think I'm not the only one driving off into the high mileage wasteland...a place where cars fade away...battle scars are formed. Can these cars do that?

Last edited by Doublebase; 02-15-16 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-15-16, 05:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

All you have to do is look around at all the LS vehicles with tons of miles. It certainly can do that. Think about how well yours rides and drives at 118k miles,,,like other cars with 40k miles...that's the hallmark of the LS.

Keep it in good shape and it will go the distance. Hell, a use it and it will still get there it just won't remain as nice a car.
Old 02-15-16, 05:35 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW15LS
All you have to do is look around at all the LS vehicles with tons of miles. It certainly can do that. Think about how well yours rides and drives at 118k miles,,,like other cars with 40k miles...that's the hallmark of the LS.

Keep it in good shape and it will go the distance. Hell, a use it and it will still get there it just won't remain as nice a car.
I haven't really seen many LS460 high mileage stories, perhaps they just aren't old enough, but the car has been out for 9 years now. There is one guy on here who has over 250k on his - bought it used from a limo company - but he never posts on here.

There is a million mile LS400 making it rounds around the country and Twitter, but I've seen nothing on the 460 (except for the guy with 250k). I imagine there are people out there with some miles...there are a few that drive them for business, but I haven't heard anything.
Old 02-15-16, 05:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

They're just not old enough. Bear in mind the average mileage driven is about 15k, so if a car is 9 years old on average it would have about 135k miles. There's no reason to think a 460 can't accomplish the high miles you see on the 430 and 400.
Old 02-15-16, 05:43 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

The oldest LS460 is turning 9 and if the owners follow the average miles per year than some are reaching 150k. I have a seen a few for sale with that mileage. Mine has 105k.

My Old 92 got to 267k before it was totaled out by a truck.

So in another 10 years we will see how they truly have performed. That's about how much longer I plan to keep mine around.
Old 02-15-16, 06:00 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
The oldest LS460 is turning 9 and if the owners follow the average miles per year than some are reaching 150k. I have a seen a few for sale with that mileage. Mine has 105k.

My Old 92 got to 267k before it was totaled out by a truck.

So in another 10 years we will see how they truly have performed. That's about how much longer I plan to keep mine around.
I have an 07 as well and I understand your point, but I would think there are people that put 30k miles a year on these cars as well? I would think that some high end sales jobs would have one of two of these in their fleets, no?

There's a guy on the GS side of the house that puts 60,000 miles a year on his GS....does all his own maintenance, etc...has a thread a mile long. It might be the best car thread I've ever seen; he does a real nice job of taking photos and his garage is flawless. I think he's in sales, he's got over 300k on the car now with minimal problems...he was considering buying a LS for his nest car. I'd love to see that guy drive an LS...his thread over here and his documentation of events would be something to see. I'll try to link his thread.
Old 02-15-16, 06:05 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Here's the high mileage GS thread...might be the best documented car history/repair/long term review I've ever seen.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...nd-issues.html
Old 02-15-16, 06:08 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

According to the long-term quality index I posted earlier, Toyota's have one of the best chances of exceeding 200k miles on a purely statistical basis (based on the sample they tested). Of course, this was based on the Camry, but the bloodlines are there. The only caveat is that more parts, more tech, more areas of potential breakdowns. As cars get more complicated, the probability of something breaking increases. It's just basic statistics.

For example, say a car has four (4) parts with the odds of any part breaking 1%. So the overall probability of having one piece NOT break is 99%. The probability of NOT having any of those four pieces break as a group is 96.06%, or a 3.94% chance of breakage. Now take a car with six (6) parts with the same odds of any single piece breaking at 1%. The probability of having a piece NOT break is 94.15%, which equates to a 5.85% probability of failure.

This is just a hypothetical example, but you can clearly see the probabilities of failure differences between a car with 2000 parts and 3000 parts. Of course, the probabilities of failure for any one component is probably lower in a LS versus a Camry I'm sure, but the sheer number, the sheer complexity will still potentially weigh more.

Of course, any car can reach that point, and all cars might have some bumps along the road, but how big those bumps are (i.e., repair and maintenance bills) will obviously vary I'm sure.

In any case, I think Toyotas and Hondas have the best chances of reaching and exceeding 200k miles versus other brands without breaking your bank, assuming the car is carefully maintained and not abused versus other brands.
Old 02-15-16, 06:21 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Rhambler, yes that makes perfect sense and as we all know Lexus OE parts are pricey to say the least.

I'll give you a perfect example with this car...the control arms...there's 8 of them...and they fail. Now going with OE and having the dealer replace them becomes ridiculous. But if you buy aftermarket and do them yourself, it's certainly manageable. But more parts=more failure. I will say the deign of that front suspension takes a lot of heat off the tie rods, I never see them fail, and you don't read about ball joint failure, but the arms are an Achilles heel. Too many parts.

And your theory is something I worry about regarding the fuel injection systems...two systems compared to one...16 injectors total...and three fuel pumps. But I've got to hand it to the engineers, so far there have been very little problems with either system - in fact it doesn't have any of the problems associated with your normal direct injected vehicles (carbon buildup), because it has those other injectors spraying fuel on intake valves. But I do worry about the many moving parts of this vehicle.
Old 02-15-16, 06:23 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I was toying with the idea of dumping my 07 for a 12 460 L in the springtime, but I plan on keeping it. I only have 78K miles on mine, so it is barely broken in. Being an early 07 model, it has some creaks and annoyances,but it is a fantastic car. Time will tell if it takes over the #1 place in my book which was the 98 Ls400 but it is well on it's way.

Yesterday morning in -28 degree temp I tried to remote start it, and she didn't work. Since I have a battery that is on it's way to dying I figured it had given up in that temp. I ran outside to the car, and it just took an extra long press on the button for her to start right up. You could feel how thick all the fluids were when you turned the wheel, but she ran great too. The tires felt like bricks, and driving over a pebble was harsh but that was the temp.

I think I may be joining you in the high mileage club. It just may take me a lot longer to get there.
Old 02-15-16, 06:28 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, I wouldn't worry. Just properly maintain your car, drive it gently and I'm sure it will be just fine. Something IS going to break. Something WILL wear out. But preparing yourself for that inevitability will greatly help as knowing and/or preparing is half the battle imo. Of course, the chances might be less in Lexus versus another brand, but the odds are still there.

Statistically speaking, these big cars probably do indeed have more parts than a Camry. The suspension in an LS might have 50 components versus 30 for a Camry (no idea what it is) and IF SO, then yeah, the probability of something breaking (suspension-wise) on the Lexus versus Camry is definitely HIGHER purely on a statistical basis. That's assuming the probability of failure on any one Lexus component is the same as the Camry.

I wouldn't worry. I think you and others here have chosen correctly if your goal is a long-term, high-mileage car. That's why I purchased mine.

Here's another perspective: say the odds of driving a Lexus LS to 200k miles without spending $1000 on any one repair is 20%. Say the odds on a comparable Mercedes S550 is only 5%. Statistically speaking, there very well could be a Mercedes S550 that goes the distance without a major repair while you might get stuck with a major bill on that same journey. It's purely probability and statistics. However, based on those numbers, which would you prefer?

EDIT: that's why I hate more gears in a transmission lol. More gears, more parts, higher probability of something breaking. Probability of failure is big part of my job. Also, take those Lexus LS600 hybrids. I would guess to say they have more parts than a non-hybrid. A few hundred more parts can increase the probability of SOMETHING failing by a few percentage points alone. Or conversely, the chances of not having a failure would be a few percentage points LOWER versus a non-hybrid. I'm speaking very generically here, as there are other considerations into play, especially how those parts interact and if the failure of one increases the likelihood of another failing and the environment and tolerances each part is exposed to.

Last edited by Rhambler; 02-15-16 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-15-16, 07:01 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by greg3852
I was toying with the idea of dumping my 07 for a 12 460 L in the springtime, but I plan on keeping it. I only have 78K miles on mine, so it is barely broken in. Being an early 07 model, it has some creaks and annoyances,but it is a fantastic car. Time will tell if it takes over the #1 place in my book which was the 98 Ls400 but it is well on it's way.

Yesterday morning in -28 degree temp I tried to remote start it, and she didn't work. Since I have a battery that is on it's way to dying I figured it had given up in that temp. I ran outside to the car, and it just took an extra long press on the button for her to start right up. You could feel how thick all the fluids were when you turned the wheel, but she ran great too. The tires felt like bricks, and driving over a pebble was harsh but that was the temp.

I think I may be joining you in the high mileage club. It just may take me a lot longer to get there.
Yeah yesterday was a day I was glad to have 0w20 full synthetic in it, took my son to his wrestling tournament and the car was parked outside all day in -10 temps. Got in it and just drove it home (50 miles), it took maybe 5 miles to reach operating temp...might have been the coldest temps I've driven in, never mind the wind chill.
Old 02-15-16, 07:44 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Many of the reasons why I say the LS 460 is the best vehicles I've owned.
Old 02-15-16, 07:49 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

I can't imagine the 460 not running well over 250K as a warm up. Any car needs maintenance along the way. Even we are mere mortals need tune ups and control arm replacements as we age. Don't fret the future, go make it!
Old 02-15-16, 03:58 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

That Guy is the best. I try to maintain my old LS like that i will do some on the 460 i have now. I don't drive a lot because i have a company truck and my LS just sits in the garage. Great for road trips when i take them.

Quick Reply: I've gone all in