LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Talk Me Into Keeping My LS

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-16, 10:22 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts
Default Talk Me Into Keeping My LS

Help! I've always been a new car every few years kinda guy. I've kept my 2009 LSAWD since, well, 2009 and it now is approaching 80,000 miles. It's been well maintained and and the brake actuator problem fixed under warranty as well as the control arm thingies. I've decided, for a number of reasons, that I won't buy another $80,000 car. That being said, I almost traded my ride for a 2016 RX350 but just could not pull the trigger, at least not yet. This has been my most favorite car. It still looks 7.5 to 8 out of 10. The interior leather is starting to feel tired, but the sheepskin rug on my driver's seat does offset that somewhat.

If I do decide to keep it, what can I expect for the next 2-3 years at 15,000/miles/year? I'm seriously conflicted...too cheap to buy another but too spoiled to give it up. And frankly I no longer want to be the guy "with the brand new $80,000 Lexus".

Last edited by daryll40; 02-19-16 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-19-16, 11:17 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

I have a '10 LS and I've had a few problems but they were covered under my extended warranty. It's the best vehicle I've owned and I'm completely satisfied and impressed with it. I'm planning on keeping it for a few more years unless I'm extremely impressed with the next generation LS then I'll probably upgrade to it.
Old 02-19-16, 11:21 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

I'd keep it, your depreciation has already took place and you said you already did the brake actuator, the only thing else I can think of is the control arms. Other than that they are pretty reliable...high quality vehicle. If you have the air ride,nthats another story...all air rides go bad, but if not I can't think of much.
Old 02-19-16, 11:54 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I'd keep it, your depreciation has already took place and you said you already did the brake actuator, the only thing else I can think of is the control arms. Other than that they are pretty reliable...high quality vehicle. If you have the air ride,nthats another story...all air rides go bad, but if not I can't think of much.
Yikes! Yes, ALL of the 2009 AWD LS cars came with air ride.
Old 02-19-16, 11:56 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, at this point it's all gravy assuming you're not paying anything on it other than insurance and registration. I always look forward to the no car payment part of my life. I have a ways to go, but I plan on driving it three years payment free I hope. Five years would be even better.
Old 02-19-16, 12:00 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Yeah, at this point it's all gravy assuming you're not paying anything on it other than insurance and registration. I always look forward to the no car payment part of my life. I have a ways to go, but I plan on driving it three years payment free I hope. Five years would be even better.
That's not exactly right. While it's paid for, the car will continue to depreciate about $5000 per year for the next few years. PLUS REPAIR COSTS which is the big question mark. Depreciation is a funny thing...once it levels off, you have to add in the costs of expected and unexpected repairs.
Old 02-19-16, 12:06 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Well, that's true.

But if you figure your new payment, plus maintenance and insurance is greater than any potential depreciation and maintenance costs of your old vehicle then you will come out ahead.

However, there's still something psychological about writing a check versus not writing a check and having it depreciate while using it.
Old 02-19-16, 12:21 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Of course. But when is it "time"?
Old 02-19-16, 12:30 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Well, assuming the finance part isn't a large factor, that time is ultimately up to you.

A more of a want and desire type purchase versus need and only you can determine that. Some people go through cars every three years, whereas others drive them until the wheels fall off.

Good luck, though. Remember, that new car depreciates too, so that's another factor in the financial weight.
Old 02-19-16, 12:48 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

For what it's worth, I pay cash. It's about depreciation from day 1 for me
Old 02-19-16, 12:51 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

As others have said, just the cost of doing business with a new car is worth thinking about. Unless you plan to pay cash, just the monthly note x 12 months will be around $13K annually. With that kinda cash, you could do lots of repairs to the 09 and take a cruise to the Mediterranean.

Or if you just want that new model look (2013 to present), consider a low mileage 2013 with warranty. You could probably grab one in the $50's with low mileage. With a decent trade in, even better.
Old 02-19-16, 12:59 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Nope. Did that with a 2006RX off lease in 2009. It's the opposite of why these cars lease out so well...they retain such high value that in the long term a brand new Lexus is cheaper per mile than a slightly used one.
Old 02-19-16, 01:21 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

A couple of things I don't understand...did you buy this car new and did you say you paid cash for it? If so (and if you had 80k to plop down on a new car), why worry about future repairs or depreciation? I mean you already kind of wasted 80 grand, or 55 grand depending on what you can get for your car now. And if you have that kind of money laying around then I assume you realize how bad an investment a car is...especially the high end luxury market when new.

I honestly think - assuming the car is worth 25-30 grand now - that you should drive it until it blows up. You already lost 55,000 in your investment, unless you're hell bent on recouping 30 grand right now (that you'll have to dump into another car anyway), I'd just drive it. It's still a nice car and you already repaired the major issues on these cars (the air shocks might cost you some money, but nothing compared to buying another car). It should be basically trouble free for 100k miles.

I mean what are you going to do, go out and buy a Camry for 30k and be miserable? There is quite a difference between this car and most you see driving down the road.
Old 02-19-16, 01:34 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

if you are tired of it and get bored with the same car after a few years, the "drive it till it blows up" idea isn't going to work for you. its almost impossible to blow up a Lexus LS. hell mines 21 years old and still blown up lmao! infact, to blow up a Lexus LS, would take like, actual effort and would deserve a reward.

since its paid off, and its a 09 its only 7 years old. that's still a baby for one of these cars. youll never get your $80k back out of it, not even a fraction of it. and it sounds like you already fixed all the nasty terrible things that normally go on them, so id just keep it man. get something else as your DD and use it as your grocery getter/beater.
Old 02-19-16, 01:40 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Another thing you can do is spruce up your car to make it feel new.

Like get new wheels or find an upholstry shop and spruce up those seats. It may be expensive, but it's still way, way cheaper than a new car and those little things go a long way into making it feel new again.

Quick Reply: Talk Me Into Keeping My LS