LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Navi Program cannot be read

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 11:36 PM
Luckyoreo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navi Program cannot be read

Hi, am a new member here.

I have a 08 la460 and I've been having the intermittent "unable to read data" issue on the navi for awhile. So I decide to pull the navi to see if there was a bad connection on the HDD. After putting everything back together, I am now getting "program cannot be read consult your Lexus dealer" and I cannot get climate control or radio on the screen where when it was just " unable to read data" only navi didn't work.

Does anyone know if this is a result of a dead HDD or is it a theft protection thing? I've been searching the forum for any kind of answer and it seems like people have had this issue after a dead battery.

Does anyone know if I can just replace the HDD and it will boot up or is there some kind of unlocking the dealer has to do to initialize a new HDD.

Thanks
Old 02-25-16, 03:18 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, you might have been better off not doing anything and seeing if anyone here had that "original" problem prior to pulling everything IMO.

In regards to the first issue, was the map even being displayed at all or was there a blank screen? Was the map stuck and not moving?

You could have just simply reset everything by disconnecting the battery to see if addressed the first issue. There might be another way to reinitialize it without removing power, but I'm not sure how that's done. But if the drive failed, then the only solution is indeed a new one.

No idea about the new problem assuming you didn't plug something back in. I'm not sure if there's a radio code on our cars. I don't remember seeing one or reading about it in the user's manual. I think someone else mentioned something about our cars not having one, although I don't remember for sure.
Old 02-25-16, 04:54 AM
hfahmy
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

I think your NAV HDD failed. Few threads on this topic.
Old 02-25-16, 05:48 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is one of them. Looks like your HDD is toast

Has there been any indication it was dying? Did you get this message any other times or is this the first time?
Old 02-25-16, 12:25 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Threads like these make me want to sell the nav LS and get a radio only LS/I wish you well luckyoreo...you could try the recyclers car-part.com or ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-RADI...dWn7GA&vxp=mtr

If you are going to diy-it you may want to research these ID numbers and make sure your car corresponds to the new/used unit you purchase:

display screen, navigation, HDD based, ID 86430-50090
display screen, navigation, HDD based, ID 86431-50070
display screen, navigation, HDD based, ID 86431-50080
display screen, navigation, HDD based, ID 86431-50090
Old 02-26-16, 05:07 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

It's not the radio that is bad. It is the harddrive which is actually plugged into the nav unit in the back. The harddrive is removable and replaced. The radio has nothing to do with it. There is no need to replace the entire Nav unit.
Old 02-26-16, 07:12 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

No radio codes involved. As others stated, it does sound like the HDD. You could still try the battery disconnect to see if that works. Worth a shot at this point.
Old 02-26-16, 07:39 AM
Luckyoreo
Driver School Candidate

Ok so I have been having signs of the hdd going bad where the map data cannot be read. I guess my hdd is toast and it follows the timeline of one of the link posted above. I talked to a friend that has friend who is a master Mechanic at a lexus dealer and he also suspects that it is the hdd. He said its a common issue. But he also said that even after changing out the hdd you still need the software update. What I didn't get to ask was whether if the software update was just for the maps. I guess I can try to get in contact with him again, but in the mean while, does anybody know if changing the hdd out will get my screen functionality back? Such as the climate control and radio or is all that included in the software update?

Also I have been looking for hdd online and I have come across the part number 86271-50A0# where the # sign represents the different revision they go from 0 - 8. Does anybody know if I have to get a specific revision or if I can just get the latest model?

Thanks
Old 02-26-16, 08:42 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

From some of the other posts on here that I've read, the maps end up being the original maps back in like 2006, and the harrdive is now an 80gb version. There was someone else who took their HDD out and returned it to Lexus and got the replacement for around $1000.

I think they made a version of the software one time in 2006 or early 2007 and that was it. They then clone the drive to that and sell it to you at an extreme markup. I'm just too chicken to try it on mine or I'd attempt a clone.

As recommended above, I did get the message once and come to find out my battery terminal was loose. It's worth a try. If not, I would say its toast.

No idea on the revisions, but it should make your screen work again as all of that is stored on the HDD.

If possible, ask your friend for the procedure they do to replace the HDD. I mean do they do it at the dealership or is it something ordered that they wait for. I am curious to know as it would indicate something easy if done at the dealership level. Also if it is done on their expensive $6K laptop or just done on a regular one. This would be valuable information.
Old 02-26-16, 08:54 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Kind of a reverse perspective on this problem... When I had my nav unit replaced due to some of the buttons surrounding the nav screen not lighting up, the Lexus dealer had to replace the hard drive too due to compatibility issues. Fortunately, this was all covered by my CPO warranty.

I don't know the specifics behind the incompatibility issue, but it might be wise to raise the issue and get a commitment that the repair will guarantee compatibility of the HDD with your current nav unit. I'd also make sure the repair shop commits to a map version at least as current as the version you have now.
Old 02-26-16, 09:15 AM
Luckyoreo
Driver School Candidate

It seems like the reason why these hdd are so expensive is because they are industrial temp parts. They are operational between -30 to 85C. The hdd alone for newer versions of these hdd are over $800 right now. I can see why Toyota charges so much for the hdds.

I guess before I go off and buy a hdd from lexus, I guess I can try to plug my current one into a hdd and see if it even runs and maybe try to clone it. I know on hot days they hdd would work, so I guess I can try to heat it up by using a blow dryer.
Old 02-26-16, 09:18 AM
Luckyoreo
Driver School Candidate

BTW I did try disconnecting the battery. That didn't work for me
Old 02-26-16, 10:27 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

I'm very interested. Please keep us posted.