LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2013+ Stereo Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-16, 10:38 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Received 140 Likes on 98 Posts
Default 2013+ Stereo Removal

I purchased a VAIS ULM to have full control of my Navi & DVD player while driving. I was originally planning on doing the install myself, and ended up getting a 3 month subscription on step-by-step instructions removing & installing all parts on our car. After viewing the instructions, I called around getting quotes from local installers. Prices ranged from $80-$165 just to pull the stereo. A buddy of mine told me he had all his stereos installed by Geek Squad at Best Buy. I called them up, and was surprised they only charge $65. Given that they're certified installers, and guarantee their work, I decided to book my install tomorrow morning.

I made screenshots of the step-by-step instructions to take with me, so it'll streamline the installation.

I'm also paying it forward and sharing with my fellow CL members!

Here you go...

Old 02-27-16, 01:59 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Good looking out bud! Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.
Old 02-27-16, 05:17 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I am very curious to find out how well the geek squad performs the install. Please report back once it's done.
Old 02-27-16, 07:15 AM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

NP, Dr! Thanks again for the heads up on the sale!

R Z...will do. Based on the phone convo alone, I think I made the right choice for installation. These other shops didn't sound too assuring when I told them the make & model of vehicle. Me bringing in the step-by-steps should make this a no brainier for them. We'll see...
Old 02-27-16, 10:57 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

I did my Prestigious Society module install (similar to Vais) on my 2012 LS and it was an easy to do job with just a few tools...... It would have taken me longer to drive to the Geek Garage.
Old 02-27-16, 02:23 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Installation complete! It took the "geeks" just over 30 min to complete the install. They're not allowed to have laptops or any electronic devices in their garage, so there was no point of me brining in a usb drive w/ the pics from the 1st post.

Final cost was $70 & some change.

**NOTE** Don't disclose what the unit is used for to the "geeks" if you decide to go to Bestbuy, or any big box installation centers. They were hesitant after I told them the use of the VAIS, stating the liabilities if something were to happen. I told them it would only be used by the passenger, & they reluctantly agreed.

First observations on VAIS unit...there's 2 settings for both Navi & DVD unlock when driving. First is to unlock for 3 minutes, & 2nd is to unlock for the duration of your trip. For the ladder, it resets to factory default when you turn car off. You have to use the hang-up icon to set the settings to your preference for the different functions. This will prob take a little more time for me to get comfortable with.

While the car was in motion the "passenger" clicked on menu to access the navigation menu. The address icon which is usually blocked out, was now available to click. Once address was clicked, the next screen (state, city, etc) was completely blocked out. I clicked the hang-up button on steering wheel twice in order to unlock this screen. From there, everything was smooth sailing. I didn't have a DVD in car, so I haven't been able to test this function yet. The DVD will only be utilized for my 2 yr old when we're going on longer drives. His car seat is in the middle of the back seat, so he has a clear view of the screen.

All in all, I'm satisfied paying a total price of $200 for the VAIS ULM installed!
Old 02-27-16, 03:22 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Geek squad did my IVIC install on my previous 600 in about 45 mins. Charged me $55. Did a great job. Best of all, if they mess something up, they need to handle it. Once I knew how to do that myself, #facepalm
Old 02-27-16, 04:43 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

**NOTE** Don't disclose what the unit is used for to the "geeks" if you decide to go to Bestbuy, or any big box installation centers. They were hesitant after I told them the use of the VAIS, stating the liabilities if something were to happen. I told them it would only be used by the passenger, & they reluctantly agreed.

What should you tell them the module is used for? ......... Are the Geeks aware of what this module is used for or did they ask you about it?
These bypass modules are very popular so I would think most Geeks know what they are used for, I have had one (Not Vais) on my SRT Charger since 2009.
BTW! This is a great price to have this installed if you don't want to do it yourself.
Old 02-27-16, 07:13 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj

What should you tell them the module is used for? ......... Are the Geeks aware of what this module is used for or did they ask you about it?
These bypass modules are very popular so I would think most Geeks know what they are used for, I have had one (Not Vais) on my SRT Charger since 2009.
BTW! This is a great price to have this installed if you don't want to do it yourself.
They weren't so concerned with the Navi unlock feature as they were with the DVD unlock. They asked "so this will allow you to view DVDs while you're driving?" I responded yes, & that's when he called over his co-worker. I had to quickly change gears & agreed that viewing & video while driving is dangerous, & I would never do such a thing. I let them know that I purchased the unit solely for the Navi unlock feature.

And yes, this was the lowest price quote i received. I never thought about using Bestbuy for stereo services assuming they would be overpriced, but they're completely affordable, and as Cjitty posted earlier, they warranty their work for your peace of mind.
Old 02-29-16, 12:17 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

XF40FSPORT, thank you for posting the screenshots!
Old 02-29-16, 03:06 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jasone36
XF40FSPORT, thank you for posting the screenshots!
You're welcome, bud!

GL with it!
Old 02-29-16, 06:07 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Had a friend of mine who owns a stereo shop help me out with my install today. While they said the instructions were not required it definitely helped them shave some time off the install. All in all it was about 30 mins. Not sure why the center console needed to be removed though. Thanks again for the assist.
Old 02-29-16, 11:33 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Had a friend of mine who owns a stereo shop help me out with my install today. While they said the instructions were not required it definitely helped them shave some time off the install. All in all it was about 30 mins. Not sure why the center console needed to be removed though. Thanks again for the assist.
Sweet! Did you just get the ULM installed?

What did your buddy end up charging you?

Also, I used the DVD function for the first time today. I turned on Thomas a friends for my son, & even though I wasn't watching while driving, it's pretty distracting, especially at night! I guess I'll stick with tossing him an iPad for everyone's safety.
Old 03-01-16, 10:07 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XF40FSPORT
Sweet! Did you just get the ULM installed?

What did your buddy end up charging you?

Also, I used the DVD function for the first time today. I turned on Thomas a friends for my son, & even though I wasn't watching while driving, it's pretty distracting, especially at night! I guess I'll stick with tossing him an iPad for everyone's safety.
Yes I got mine installed today and it ended up costing me a really nice lunch.

I hear you on the DVD being distracting as I tested mine out on the way home. I had trouble unlocking the NAV as I understand it's a different command and not sure if they are independent operations or you can unlock one then the other and have both unlocked at the same time. I was only able to unlock the DVD but when attempting the NAV it would unlock briefly and then lock all the while leaving the DVD unlocked. The instructions are rather basic. Guess I have to do more trial and error but I can't do so unless I'm the passenger.