LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Premium Window Tint on LS460 - Formula One Pinnacle

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-16, 10:45 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Received 140 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yup, I'm happy. $150 to remove the old tint, so I'm over $1,000 invested in tint but at least now its what I was looking for

As for fuel, it was an hour but only about 30 miles, where the place is located there aren't any highways from my house. So really it was only 3-4 gallons of fuel.

Plus I got cheap gas while I was out there lol
Nice! Sucks you had to practically pay double to get your tint the way you wanted. Having 2 different colored tint would've bugged the living crap out of me too.

I'm sure this thread will help out a lot of people to not make the same 1st choice as you.
Old 03-03-16, 11:01 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Just FYI, I don't have any issue seeing out at night or in parking garages, no issue with the Huper Optik 35 or the Formula One Pinnacle 30.
Steve needs to make a dedicated thread with that shiny beast before the flakes roll into town...
Old 03-04-16, 04:06 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, it's crazy how expensive tint is, coupled with the fact that authorized installers of the high-end stuff are few and far between, at least here in Sacramento.

I was quoted $600 for 3M crystalline and I can't find any Hunter Optik, pinnacle or Llumar installers around here, at least not easily.

I think Steve's tint looks nice, it's not too dark, which is something that I personally prefer, although I want it even lighter.
Old 03-04-16, 05:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Lots of lighter options, they have 40%, 50%. It always looks darker in pictures, and remember with a light interior it looks lighter, your cashmere will look lighter than my grey.
Old 03-04-16, 07:36 AM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a FurmulaOne fan for life!

Never heard of it until 2005 or so when I went to get my GX windows tinted. Since then I've been using the Ceramic. On my GX it's about 10 years old and looks immaculate!

Don't even touch anything else.

This is who I use: http://www.sunbusterstint.com/
Old 03-04-16, 09:06 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

The snow is coming! They're treating all the roads already. Like I said, I di this every year I swap back in my carpeted mats and this happens lol.

You mean detailer for the wheels or dressing for the tires? For the wheels I use Backfire Wet Diamond Polymer Spray, same as the paint, the tires are Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel.

http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-spray-sealant.html

http://www.autogeek.net/piblontigel....hannelid=BIZRA
Just when you thought it was safe...smh

Yes, pardon my incorrect wording, but I did mean to ask what dressing that was on your tires.
Your wheels, along with the car always look great (outside of when it is graciously coated with salt grime), and even then,
Thanks for the links (sorry for derailing the thread)!
Old 03-04-16, 10:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No prob! I like both of those products very much so buy with confidence!
Old 03-04-16, 10:04 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Thanks for the links (sorry for derailing the thread)!
Derailing or detailing the thread???
Old 03-04-16, 10:36 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Update:

I had my LS460 tinted with LLumar's Formula One Pinnacle at 15% (they didn't have anything darker).

It looks great, however I feel the rear windows are too light.

I'm considering spending another $300 for them to install another layer of 15% Formula One Pinnacle (only in the rear).

They said I have to wait about three weeks after the first layer is installed if I want another layer installed.

I realize the idea might sound a bit crazy, but I'm very used to 5% tint in the rear of all my (previous) cars... and 15% provides some privacy, but you can certainly still see quite well into the car during the day, even with the rear sunshade up (not exactly as dark in the back as I expected...)

Now I wish I had make the trek to a shop which carried 5% Formula One Pinnacle... to get it installed in the back... would have saved myself $300.

I'm wondering, has anyone ever had two layers of tint on their cars?
Old 03-04-16, 10:42 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

We used to layer tint all the time back in the day. Never waited the 3 weeks either. Just did it at the same time. No issues with it whatsoever.

FYI 15% over 15% will yield you a literally black window. I wouldn't do it if you expect to see out of it at all in the shade or at night.
Old 03-04-16, 11:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Looking at 30% on my car I can't imagine thinking 15% is too light...

I would live with it a while.
Old 03-04-16, 12:29 PM
jasone36
Instructor

I'm definitely going to run with it "as-is" for 3 -4 weeks... and only then make the "executive decision" on whether or not to put another layer on top.

Looking at 30% on my car I can't imagine thinking 15% is too light...

I would live with it a while.
Old 03-07-16, 08:32 AM
Craiger
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a used is250 at one point and the front side windows were tinted. I removed it because I considered it a danger at night. Not only did the tinting reduce light but it also produced glare and mirroring on the inside surface of the tinting. I'll bet the combined affects reduced my night time visibility around 33%.

So I'm wondering about the cars I'm seeing here in this thread and elsewhere. Do any of you feel you are endangering yourselves and others by having your front side windows tinted. In California it's against the law. After driving a tinted car I know why.
Old 03-07-16, 10:39 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Much of it depends on how dark your front side windows are.

For example, if your front side windows are 30% or anything lighter, you will probably notice very little (if any) obstruction in your vision (day or night).

If you front side windows are 15%, your nighttime visibility is slightly reduced, but it's still marginal enough to get by with no REAL side affect. I feel this is the perfect trade-off.

However, if you front side windows are 5% ("Limo Tint"), then you're a danger to yourself and everyone surrounding you (my apologies to anyone on the forum whom may take offense to this...)

I had this setup many, many years ago and at night you basically have NO visibility out the side window unless you are in a super-well lighted parking lot (after a few years of driving around like this, I had to revert to a lighter shade tint on the front side windows)...

For example, if I was looking for street parking in NYC at night with the 5% front tinted windows, I would literally have to drive down the street with both my front two windows wide open in order to see "available" spots... yes it's that bad.

Rear window and rear side windows are nearly a non-issue at any tint shade, especially if you have a back-up camera when you reverse.

Last edited by jasone36; 03-07-16 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-07-16, 11:36 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jasone36
If you front side windows are 15%, your nighttime visibility is slightly reduced, but it's still marginal enough to get by with no REAL side affect. I feel this is the perfect trade-off.
Sorry but I have to disagree with you here. I would not say you nightime visibility is "slightly" reduced with no real side effect with 15% tint. I would argue that it is dramatically reduced. Unless you are fortunate to be only driving on well lit freeways or parking in shopping malls your vision is definitely reduced at night. To say there's no real side effect is untrue. Even if our subjective opinions differ you can't argue with the facts. By technical specs 15% tint allows for only 18% light transmission. That's the equivalent of walking around at night with shades on.

Quick Reply: Premium Window Tint on LS460 - Formula One Pinnacle